Coping With Epilepsy EEG Institute
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Woodland Hills, CA
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Account Closed

Question has anyone changed from Keppra to Keppra XR? I have a question....

I had been on Keppra for many years... since I was around 20 yrs old. So almost 10 years now. It controled my seizures for me well. I did notice that I was having alot of headaches. Some were mild, some were more severe. But I had to be stocked up with ibuphrophen, or migraine pills in order to take them away.

In September, I went to see my dr about me having so many headaches. I would have at least 3-4 a week, if not more. I was getting to tired of having them! He checked my blood sugar, which came back normal. He said there wasnt much else he could do. told me to continue to take the advil for the migraines. But he did think I had a seizure in January, and thought maybe these headaches were a start of a seizure wanting to come on. So, he increased my Keppra from 3000mgs to 4000mgs a day. After 5 weeks, I couldnt take it. Things got worse! I was having headaches everyday! I couldnt keep myself awake at all. I had no energy and I was on edge with everything! My husband said it was like I was going through PMS only 100 times as worse everyday! It was that bad! Around the 4th week into this increase, I had a break through seizure. Then another one a week later. After that, is when my drs wanted to see me back in their office. The new dr I went to, since the other one resigned, switched me to keppra xr. Ive noticed since Ive been on that... almost a month now.... that I no longer have as many headaches and they are very very mild if I do have one. I was so use to having them everday, and for almost the whole day, that I was just use to them being my life.

But since going to Keppra XR, Ive noticed a big change in my headaches. Like toay, I havnt had any at all!

So I wondered, if anyone here has went from Keppra to Keppra XR and seen better improvments?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE
Recent Blog: Update

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (a.k.a The Land Of Endless Snow!)
Send a message via MSN to Rae1889 Send a message via Yahoo to Rae1889 Send a message via Skype™ to Rae1889
Hfe kouEsc Jtuycxz fruday to switch, ius judt too gabanptin
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Can't help except when I mentioned weird symptoms- like seizure waiting in the wings - my consultant prescribed Orlept - Symptoms= nausea, headaches @ eyes, dizzy, retching & sick, foggy sensations, fatigue
Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I tried the Keppra XR and I loved it except for one thing...my hair was falling out in clumps! Doc didn't think it was XR and did all the tests and labs and everything was normal. So he took me off XR and put me back on Keppra and it stopped. I loved that I seemed on more of even mood and no high and lows. I miss the XR!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Since radiotherapy, etc. I've got no hair anyway - can't go bowling coz folk keep sticking their fingers up me nose!
The Following User Says Thank You to ColmanMac For This Useful Post:
dfwtexas (12-09-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Account Closed

Ive realized that the Keppra XR has helped me in some ways with my "outbursts" of emotions. When I was on Keppra, I had so many ups and downs each day. I'd be happy one minute, and then angry and sad the next minute. Ive been on the Keppra XR for alittle over a month now and Ive seen a few improvements.

Hair wise, I dont see any difference yet. I have shoulder length hair, and blow dry my hair usually... so Im use to a certain amount of hair loss... but I havnt seen a difference since I started taking the Keppra XR.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

My doc said his experience with patients is if they were going to have hair loss problem is would be on regular Keppra. He said I was only one that had this problem on XR. Every time I would shampoo my hair, clumps would come out in my hand!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Account Closed

Hmmm... I dont recall having hair loss like that when I was on Keppra. I was on regular Keppra for like 7 or 8 years... it had been awhile.... I know there were times I would comment on seeing my own hair in my hair brush, but I didnt think it was that bad... I just thought it was normal. Ive been on the Keppra XR since November 4th. Im trying to wear my hair down more, Ive noticed that when I put my hair up in a pony tail, I get really bad headaches. With the hair loss... I might hae noticed a small change in the amount I get in my brush.