Has anyone had to get a lawer because of their seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
As I said in another thread earlier, my emloyer is trying to fire me because I currently have a suspended license. I recieved a letter saying I "must provide the DMV notification indicating when my driver's license will be re-instated. Otherwise they will proceed with termination proceedings". I am currently on FMLA as a result of my driver's license suspension as well as a terminally ill parent. I have only taken a month off. As far as I know, under FMLA they can't fire somone. I am allowed up to three months off. I would think as long as I have a license again by the time I come back (within three months of taking time off), they can't fire me. Can they even ask for notification from the DMV while I am on FMLA? I have already called the Union. I am seriously thinking of getting a lawer. I can't believe they have not broken the law threatening termination while on FMLA. Any advice on finding a lawer familiar with medical cases?

I know at ford you have to have so many hours accrued prior to be eligible for fmla-sometimes things arent as clearcut as they seem-talk to your benefits rep they know more than just your union-I have found that out the hard way.I have been terminated 3 times in 3 yrs from ford thru all this and only the first time did I have to get an atty to write a letter and it was straightened out

They shouldn't be bothering you at all during FMLA. And yes, you can take up to 3 months, if you work for a company that has over (how many?) employees and you've been there at least 12 months and have worked a certain number of hours (I think it's around 1200).

Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to the employee’s original job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment. An employee’s use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment benefit that the employee earned or was entitled to before using FMLA leave, nor be counted against the employee under a “no fault” attendance policy. If a bonus or other payment, however, is based on the achievement of a specified goal such as hours worked, products sold, or perfect attendance, and the employee has not met the goal due to FMLA leave, payment may be denied unless it is paid to an employee on equivalent leave status for a reason that does not qualify as FMLA leave.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-fmla.htm#basic

Has your employer even proven that lack of a driver's license can't be accomodated?

If you have your license when you go back, you are qualified. Did you meet with HR to talk over the situation? If they still want to dismiss you based on the license issue, get a lawyer. They are required to return you to your job or a similar one (assumning they can meet your needed accomodations)

Back
Top Bottom