Has anyone quit caffeine because they thought it caused seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't toucha my coffee and you'll live!

:D

It's been proven on my EEG's that coffee has
no effects on my seizures - I have seizures
whether or not I have coffee. So they let me
have my coffee back! YAY me!

In addition - I have done research studies and
it's been lop-sided on the studies, almost 50/50,
because half says it is a seizure trigger and the
other half says it isn't.

My conclusion as a whole in all of its entirety is
this - caffeine as with anything else, affects
people differently. While it may be a seizure trigger
to some and not to others.

So my final answer would be this:
If it trips you off for an E-ride - then don't drink caffeine!
If it doesn't trip you off - enjoy!

I had 2 cups of coffee this morning. I was real tired because my neurologist increased my medicines. The caffeine caused me to have seizures this afternoon. That is one of my triggers. I know better, too. No excuses!! I will just try harder not to drink coffee tomorrow morning.

I did try eliminating caffienne when I was rediagnosed - but it had no real effect. I probably drink between 4 to 6 cups of coffee a day (probably too much) :S

I suppose we all have different triggers...

Coffee brain? :D

I do not think it is so much as a "coffee brain" as it is trying to keep awake from all of our medicines tiring us out.

At one

point, I drank up to 8 cups a day. Or more. Now, it's a couple of large ones, at most, and once in a while a Coke if I'm dying with a migraine, and have no meds available. But my system is getting out of whack from what little I'm drinking now.....so, it's time for me to give it up altogether, I think. The twitching around my left eye is from the caffeine, I think.....

If I drink any, I drink one can of dr. pepper a day. I don't think it helps much, but don't think it hurts much.

I try to limit it. every now and then i do have migrations from not having any caffiene

I can only have diet soft drinks because of my Diabetes. It has to much sugar in it.

I found this from various sources of research:

Much like nicotine, caffeine stimulates the nervous system. Adrenaline is released and the liver begins to emit stored blood sugar. Insulin is then released, and blood sugar drops below normal—a common seizure trigger. And caffeine can be a “stealth” drug: it can be found as an ingredient in medications, including some antihistamines and decongestants.

Welcome to CWE...and no, this is not a dumb question. :) Caffeine is a stimulant..and in some of us, it can trigger seizures.
1) How hard was it to quit?
-It was harder to quit smoking...but I managed to do that too. :)

2)How much caffeine was I consuming?
- 9 cups a day, and still managing to fall asleep at 8 PM. It was jokingly suggested that I consider just doing a drip feed via IV. :)

3)How much of a difference did it make?
-Don't know for certain. :) Ended up changin meds too. And I've gone back to drinking one cup of coffee a day. No where near the 9 that I was drinking, but I still notice when I don't have my coffee. (caffeine withdrawl headaches... :p )

point, I drank up to 8 cups a day. Or more. Now, it's a couple of large ones, at most, and once in a while a Coke if I'm dying with a migraine, and have no meds available. But my system is getting out of whack from what little I'm drinking now.....so, it's time for me to give it up altogether, I think. The twitching around my left eye is from the caffeine, I think.....

Have you considered drinking non-caffeine drinks?
For example like Sprite? 7-Up? Rootbeer?

A lot of people don't realize it but regular tea has
more caffeine than coffee does (with the exceptions
of Starbucks & Espresso & other strong Coffees).

The awesome thing is, it's easier to break-away
the habit from caffeine when going this way. That
is one reason why they serve Sprite or 7-up or
Rootbeer in Hospitals.

Actually I believe tea has less caffeine than coffee. According to most sources, tea = 40 to 60 mg. Regular brewed coffee = 80 to 135mg. And Starbucks starts at 150mg. The other thing is that the caffeine in tea enters and leaves the system in a gentler fashion -- more like a gentle wave than the spike that coffee does.

Yes that is what I thought too Nakamova. If you let the bag steep as long as the box says, then perhaps you might have a bit more caffeine, but it would most likely be undrinkable for most people.

I love green tea. I am seeing improvement in the health of my tongue.

tongue

RobinN -

Green tea helps the health of your tongue? Could you be more specific? Am just curious about that!

Thanks,

gigi :ponder:

I never thought about it upping my meds. But it wakes me up. I walk to starbucks every day. They say " Hey Teresa!" make my drink. 6 shot americano. and I pay 2 something for it.I love my coffee.Better not try and take my coffee away.I might do something dangerous. teeheePlus, I had it checked if caffiene bothered my siezures. notta.

Hi gigi, green tea is healthy.

Stilldancing, everyone is different. It depends on the strength of the coffee I drink. If I make it mild, then I am all right. If it is to strong, I only have tremors, so I have a mild cup. I do not like the tremors.

caffeine

Hi Music man here. I have been warned about three things around tonic clonic seizures , stress, lack of sleep, and yes coffee or any sort of caffeine product. Caffeine is in a great many products. My withdrawal experience was headaches for about three days, back pain like someone was twisting my spine and lastly i was a grump . I know hard to believe but true. I drink a product now called Caf-Lib and as we know one can get used to anything. One thing i have noticed i'm not as wired, and my hands don't shake so bad. For what it's worth.
Ed.

Hi Lureswinger,

As long as the caffeine in the tea does not bother you, you can have your tea. Enjoy!!

Hi

I am a huge coffee drinker, and have been for years.

I quit drinking caffeine about a year ago, or should I say I switched to decaff, because at the time I was having the usual ECG and heart monitoring to see whether it was a cardiac problem, and it was found out that I had Atrial Bigeminy and was advised that the amount of caffeine I was cinsuming wasn't good for me. I didn't think that I was drinking loads until I thought about it, at the time I was at home on the comp designing websites and caffeine was my friend, and I was drinking a good 10 cups a day.

At the advice of my doctor I quit drinking it altogether, but I think I was addicted to the taste lol so I switched to decaff coffee and coca cola, as I was drinking that as well. After having no success in getting my butt in gear in the mornings I now have two 'leaded' coffee's to wake me up then switch to decaff.

Seizure wise, cutting out the caffeine reduced my seizures dramatically, I was having up to 50 seizures a day on caffeine!, without caffeine they reduced to between 10 - 15 complex partials/ simple partials a day.

Not long after the caffeine reduction I was diagnosed with TLE, put on Keppra and I was a happy bunny til my liver decided it didn't like keppra lol

Regards

Sal

Back
Top Bottom