Has anyone quit caffeine because they thought it caused seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Sal, welcome to our forum. It was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. That love has permeated throughout all of CWE.

I look forward to more helpful posts by you. Are you drinking Diet Free Coca Cola?Regular Coca Cola has caffeine.

Hi Ruth

I switched to caffeine free coke and coffee, tho the caffeine free coke took some getting used to, at first it tasted seriously nasty but I got used to it.

The decaff coffee just doesn't taste the same as regular even if u get the same brand, but it fills a hole lol.

Everybody is different, but for me caffeine and E get on like my daughter does with coke ie BAD idea :banana:

Sal

I am thinking I am going to quit caffiene instead of just cutting back. I don't like the way my personality interacts with caffiene and tegretol/tegretol xr.

A new study just out says that two sodas per week raises your risk of pancreatic cancer.

http://www.kristensraw.com/FAQ_how_to_kick_caffeine_addiction.php

How can I kick my addiction to caffeine?
Start drinking more green juices, including wheatgrass, which will help alkalize your blood and reduce cravings for coffee and caffeine. To help avoid withdrawl problems, consider migrating off gradually with half decaf, working your way to 100% decaf or hot tea. Remember, part of the addiction can be the experience (going to a cafe or wrapping your hands around a big, warm mug), so look for ways to replicate the experience without the caffeine.

... I was a happy bunny til my liver decided it didn't like keppra ...

Keppra is metabolized in the kidneys, not the liver. It's one of the only AEDs that works that way.

Very true Bernard, unfortunately one of the post marketing side effects is worsening LFT'S and/ or hepatic function, and I was one of those people that were blighted by it. Well atleast that's the theory of my neurologist ans after repeated requests to go back on it, she keeps refusing.

I'm English and drank tea since I was a baby. My older sister had ovarian cyst problems when I was 10 so the whole family switched to decaf tea. I remained decaf for most of my life. Then with the sleepy side effects of seizure meds I switched back. After my surgery I was very careful to stay away from all triggers and went strictly back to decaf now I'm back of half decaf half regular again just to stay awake. I never miss the caffeine when I quit, I'm so used to headaches a withdrawal headache isn't noticed.

I am thinking I am going to quit caffiene instead of just cutting back. I don't like the way my personality interacts with caffiene and tegretol/tegretol xr.

How does the cafeine react with your Tegretol if I may ask?

Keppra is metabolized in the kidneys, not the liver. It's one of the only AEDs that works that way.

Bernard, does Keppra damage the kidneys. I am on Keppra.

I drink caffeine in order to wake up in the morning. My meds make me really sleepy.

In the afternoon, I have a cup to tea to wake up again.

No. Way I could survive without tea made me laugh while I was in hospital the tea women all knew how I had my tea doesn't this prove I can't survive without tea lol

Bernard, does Keppra damage the kidneys? I am on Keppra.
Keppra can potentially damage the kidneys, but it's mostly a risk if you already have kidney problems when you go on it. It's important to drink plenty of water while you are on it.

Thank you, I feel better. I do not have kidney problems and I do drink plenty of water.

My son only has one kidney and epilepsy. There is Passion Tea with no caffiene in it to. He used to drink water all the time, he peed out his one bad kidney when he was a baby and the other one grew double into size. Like the size of 2 kidneys. The other day he lol screamed from the bathroom "mom! Mom! come here! I think I peed out my other kidney!" I laughed so hard. I almost fell over. He's 13 and want other things than water now. Like pop or propell. Vitamen drinks. So we drink water together. Better for me anyway.I have an ulcer so no caffiene is better.lol water,water, water.

I am not going to give up all my coffee. For epilepsy. For my ulcer I am giving up more. Makes my stomach hurt. Poor poor pittiful me, poor poor pittiful me.:)

Topamax is another one that can be hard on the kidneys - it causes kidney stones.

I have almost completely given up caffeine. Everybody is different, but for me, not good for seizures, not good for anxiety levels.

I am not going to give up all my coffee. For epilepsy. For my ulcer I am giving up more. Makes my stomach hurt. Poor poor pittiful me, poor poor pittiful me.:)
:roflmao:

I love the what you said, I am not giving up all of my caffeine. There are teas that are natural and do not have caffeine. I like SleepyTime tea at bedtime because it helps me to sleep.

I have to have caffeine to stay awake. I think it is because of all of my meds. Anyone have any ideas?

Caffiene has never really given me any problems. If I drink TOO much of it I get the shakes pretty bad but I don't seize or anything. I think it's just the normal effects of the caffiene

Hi msunder, glad to meet you. I get the shakes too, when I drink to much.

Back
Top Bottom