Has anyone tried the Generic Keppra XR?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Long story short... I found out today that my mail in order pharmacy filled my Keppra XR prescription that was sent over on 8/30/12 for generic!

Ive never have tried a generic seizure medication before, and wondered if anyone that has taken it, or does take it, can give me their feedback on it?

I pay $150 for name brand, 6 month supply

This time, they are charging me $35 for generic, 6 month supply

It would be GREAT if I could try the generic and it does work. There was talk in May 2011 with my dr's nurse that if I wanted to try the generic, it was up to me. At the time I chose to stick with the name brand. But since our insurance changed 7/1/12, we go through a new mail order pharmacy, and when I printed off a new order sheet for my drs office to fax over, they didnt put BRAND Name Only like I told them to!

When I checked on it today with the mail order pharmacy, they said I can stop the order, but again, would have to contact my dr to get them to fax over a new order sheet, which I would have to mail in and by the time they recieve it and get it processed and to me, it can take up to 2-4 weeks! Which I dont have that much time to wait for!

My mother and I did talk about wanting to try the generic, I just didnt think it would be this soon! So I thought Id ask here for anyone who does take the generic Keppra XR if it works for them? I was switched over to the Keppra XR in November 2010, from the Regular Keppra becuase of really had headaches. Just by switching to the Keppra XR from Regular Keppra, took all those headaches away. So Im hoping the generic Keppra XR does the same thing, and also controlls my seizures too!

Oh and I did call and leave a message for the nurse at my drs office to let them know what happened with the prescription. I know they are probably to say its up to me if I want the generic or not, but just incase "problems" come about, I want to give them a heads up on why they are probably coming about.

I had only been on the generic for awhile, I personally didn't react as great to it as I would have wished. Then again we are all different, plus generic doesn't come in XR so that could make a difference. Though if I am not mistaken I think you would take 3 of the generic to make up for the extended release. I never took the generic long enough to know if it was just me at that time or the medication.

I found out through my mail order pharmacy that the Keppra XR does come in generic now! This is what they have listed on my online mail order form:

LEVETIRACETAM TAB 750MG ER RX (Quantity) 720 (Total Price) 35.00

I am on it right now. Seems to be doing the job! I told my neuro I was having partials in the morning/evening before my doses, so he put me on the XR at night - that's when I found out they have it in generic. My morning/evening partials have pretty much gone away since I went on it, and I don't THINK it's causing any negative side effects (pretty sure the weird dreams are the Lamictal!) Of course, everyone reacts differently :)

Back
Top Bottom