Hate when people tell jokes about epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was re-reading some of the posts here, and it struck me that if the people who tell the tonic-clonic = crazy dancing jokes had ever actually seen such a seizure they would not tell the jokes or laugh. Unlike the stereotyped convulsive seizure, which is usually portrayed as someone standing up and making shaking movements, actual tonic-clonic seizures, as we all know, are terrifying to watch. It would be great to be able to show a video of a tc at one of the comedy shows where they tell the e jokes. I bet no one would laugh then.

Last edited:
I got married in April 2013 and went on a cruise for our honeymoon. I was officially diagnosed with epilepsy just three weeks before the cruise.
On the ship my husband and I went to see a comedian who was pretty funny. During his bit he brings up ethnicity in relation to dancing, comparing a white man to an epileptic and not being sure if they should call 911. My husband stopped laughing automatically and got offended. I on the other hand found myself chuckle a little bit. For the first time since I started having confirmed seizures, I was able to hold a smile when the word was said.
I didn't look at it like he was picking on epileptics so much as the non rhythmic jerky movements of a white male dancer. I don't joke about epilepsy, I am still unsettled by the diagnosis and drastic change in my life but now every time I hear an epilepsy joke I never get upset by it. Any way to smile when the subject is brought up instead of a deep sense of dread I will take any day.
I can understand why others would get upset so I refrain from turning my situation into a joke because it isn't and I don't want other to think it is . I juat can't let epilepsy negatively effect me any more than it already has.

It would be great to be able to show a video of a tonic clonic at one of the comedy shows where they tell the e jokes. I bet no one would laugh then.

Probably the one and only time I'd actually want to have one, blue lips and all..

I used to be more laid back about it when I wasn't having so many issues, but now it just pisses me off.

I'm not an angry person, but if someone says that stuff around me, I tell them thats funny.. almost as funny as you getting your ass handed to you by someone with epilepsy.

Just because I have a seizure now and then doesn't mean I can't still kick some ass when required..

The thought always makes me feel better anyway.. :rock:

I used to be more laid back about it when I wasn't having so many issues, but now it just pisses me off.

I'm not an angry person, but if someone says that stuff around me, I tell them thats funny.. almost as funny as you getting your ass handed to you by someone with epilepsy.

Just because I have a seizure now and then doesn't mean I can't still kick some ass when required..

The thought always makes me feel better anyway.. :rock:

I'm not sure what I'd enjoy more...handing someone's ass to them or having my ass handed to me...hmmm I guess it doesn't matter as long as both people are enjoying it...

:bondage: :D

Back
Top Bottom