have you ever suspected you'd died during a TC seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
I've had lingering nonsense but pervasive nonsense in my head that I might have died
does anyone know if this is a common type of experience for later-onset seizures?

It hasn't happened for me. Usually, I just suspect that I might have embarrassed myself mightily...

I feel like I'm losing my mind. And that if I focus hard enough I can stop them. Because all my doctors told me it was in my head.

I did almost die with anaphelictic shock due to Dilantin tho. That was fun....

At times, I have felt that having a T/C was fairly close to dying, if only for a little bit. While your body does not die at all, you do lose all aweness of self. I find that to be a lot different from just sleeping, because then you dream, and wake up, and you are YOU. But when you have a t/c, it seems that everything is gone... coming back from a t/c is like slowy coming back to life, finding out who and what you are. I feel that during the seizure, I just cease to exist as a person for a bit.

It hasn't happened for me. Usually, I just suspect that I might have embarrassed myself mightily...

are you able to let those feelings slide? I get those feelings and they are persistent! I can't stand it.
I haven't seen the show, but it feels a little like that new TV show "Awake" (?) (http://www.nbc.com/awake/about/) but where one life is <this> (I guess) and in the other world I'm a jackass maniac. Having had a "psychotic episode" (that I don't recall) does not help this issue. Sometimes it feels like people I see on the street are keen on 'both worlds' and are zipper lipped around me, and the same goes for my family. And it *can be miserable.

*edited the verb tense from "is" to "can be" - for sake of my own proactive optimism :p

Last edited:
At times, I have felt that having a T/C was fairly close to dying, if only for a little bit. While your body does not die at all, you do lose all aweness of self. I find that to be a lot different from just sleeping, because then you dream, and wake up, and you are YOU. But when you have a t/c, it seems that everything is gone... coming back from a t/c is like slowy coming back to life, finding out who and what you are. I feel that during the seizure, I just cease to exist as a person for a bit.

exactly- for me it's like "fade in" from zero

waking up, people know just where the snooze button is

coming right out of a seizure I don't "know" a damn thing

I've seen that show "Awake", I know what you mean. It can be a bit like a dream/nightmare where you try and remember, but it just hovers around the edge of your consciousness. Or like when you dream something that is so realistic that it feels as if it actually occurred.

But I am able to let it go, probably because my seizures are well-controlled now, but also because a number of my seizures occurred with friends around, so I felt "secure." I still have a few lingering feelings of embarrassment or unease, but for the most part I'm worry-free. Or in denial.

But when you have a t/c, it seems that everything is gone... coming back from a t/c is like slowy coming back to life, finding out who and what you are.

It's so good to have people in my life that know EXACTLY how this feels.

Thank you SeizetheNight.

wow that is exactly how i feal when i come out unless i have injuries then im mad cause ''i did it again'' is what they say i say.

wow that is exactly how i feal when i come out unless i have injuries then im mad cause ''i did it again'' is what they say i say.

I have panic typical, like what the hell am I doing on the floor, what did I do, I'm failing because I can't remember my friend's name or quite where I am - I guess with the memory loss is also often temporary loss of memory that I have epilepsy - but that has never lasted very long and seems to be getting better with familiarity

hey, new picture! Is that you as a kid Peter?

hey, new picture! Is that you as a kid Peter?

yep - me as a kid!

(I had considered a different image but decided my mood at the time wasn't the best to be deciding what type of image to display)

Back
Top Bottom