Having a bloody hard time and getting no support from doctors

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as I've now been itching my way through hives for almost six months, I'm now coming off the anti-depressant (Pristiq) that the neuropsychiatrist prescribed to indirectly treat what he believes is atypical depression triggered epileptic seizures. Pristiq is known for causing hives but as they started at least 6 months after I began taking Pristiq, we ruled out other causes first. UV light therapy 3 times a week has also made no difference thus far, so I'm still covered in red welts from head to toe.

Anyway I currently have the flu, am home alone and dealing with some pretty strong mood swings now as I adjust to no anti depressants in my system. I have been constantly trying to contact my doctor to seek guidance on how to go about this but in the end, I gave up on him and did my own careful research and spoke to my pharmacist. I have been told to wait 5 days before I start on Lexapro to avoid serotonin syndrome. I'm praying the hives will go away when the Pristiq is finally out of my system because I've just about had enough. I'm taking prednisalone, an immune suppressant steroid to keep the hives at bay. The problem is I then pick up every virus and cold, and it takes me weeks to recover. I'm also gaining weight so right now I feel pretty unattractive, itchy and crappy. I've just spent the last half an hour unable to stop crying but thankfully that intense low has passed. Let's hope I don't have any big seizures. Honestly, life on Lamictal was so much easier. How does diagnosis :paperbag:get so complicated! Thanks for listening x

I'm so sorry to hear this. Hives are miserable - I've personally dealt with them many times as I keep finding new antibiotics that I'm allergic to :(. I also dealt with about 9 months of "idiopathic hives" which basically means hives for no reason.

How long have you been off of the Pristiq? My daughter recently had to come off of Trileptal due to hives, and they took a few days to go away.

Good luck with the hives and with the mood symptoms. Hopefully you'll start feeling better very very soon!

Wobblez,

I'm lucky to have a very sypportive neuro.
anti dreppressants can depress you and can cause you have seizures.Epilepsy drugs can depress you also.
I can't imagine what it's to have hives

anti dreppressants can depress you and can cause you have seizures.Epilepsy drugs can depress you also.

Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and depression often go hand in hand. I have a history of depression along with my E, also, and take Zoloft (which is an SSRI) along with my AEDs. Some SSRI's can lower one's seizure threshold. As long as the neuropsychiatrist and neurologist are working together and both know what each is prescribing, then good. If not, time to move on and find someone who will work with you and not against you.

The only medication I've ever had the hives from was phenobarbitol. No fun at all.

Hope you get relief soon, Wobblez.

Wobblez, you've had a tough road to diagnosis and treatment, and it sounds like it's not quite over yet. Did you have any seizure symptoms while on the Pristiq -- did it at least help with those? I hope ramping up on the Lexapro goes smoothly and that you hit the jackpot with it (no symptoms/no side effects).

I'm experiencing severe balance and coordination problems and for the last 5 or so years, my Neurologist has done sh.. He just suggests to lose weight and exercise.

Hi all,

Sorry about my late reply, I do appreciate your supportive input and have been reading the posts. I've had a few "scary" days where I really didn't feel myself and could not fathom going to work. Everything just felt so overwhelming and I was a mess. I was worried that I would be like this without the Pristiq but it quickly passed so I think we can safely say its mostly just the withdrawal experience.

Thankfully (in a way) I was also sick with the flu so I had a medical certificate and was able to stay home from work and give myself some space. That frightened the crap out of me so in an effort to feel like I was at least doing something, I joined the gym and saw a naturopath. Thankfully I hit gold on both! The gym has really helped my mood because they are so welcoming and friendly, and their classes are really good fun. The naturopath also suggested I try SaMe, a natural anti-depressant/stress reliever. It's very expensive, but I welcome the change from more chemicals.

2 and a half weeks after finishing the Pristiq I still have hives but there has definitely been a reduction in them so fingers crossed, its just the residual pristiq leaving my body. I have been on it for almost 12 months so I guess that's feasible.

How is everyone else today?

Back
Top Bottom