Heat Sensitivity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I go and research something for you Brandi, and I learned something new. Sounds like fluids are your best bet, and keeping the kidney and liver healthy.

There are a lot of misconceptions about sweat. Hear this fact: Sweat has only one purpose — to cool the body. When your body temperature rises as a result of the energy production required by exercise (or the heat of the day), a couple of responses are triggered. First, the heart beats faster to move blood around the organs more quickly to absorb heat. At the same time, capillaries just under the skin dilate so blood can be closer to the skin surface, which is usually cooler than body temperature. If these cooling mechanisms aren’t enough, your sweating reflex kicks in — something like a built-in shower. Water from the blood moves to the skin surface through a network of more than 2.5 million ducts, or sweat glands, in the skin. When this “sweat” — which is composed of 99% water and 1% salt and other protein and fat-based metabolites — evaporates, it cools the body and leaves a salty-tasting residue on your skin. You’ll notice the sweat if you live in a humid climate that deters evaporation. You may never think you sweat in a dry climate, where the same workout, at the same temperature, produces the same amount of sweat, but is not noticed because it evaporates so quickly.

My son asked about another common myth — that sweating rids the body of toxins. I’m always stunned when people attempt a variety of strategies to “clean their body of toxins.” Most of these practices sound logical, but body metabolism, which is sophisticated and complicated, is not a logical process. There are no toxins in sweat. Toxins are removed by a healthy kidney and liver working full time to counter all we do to abuse our bodies with poor exercise, eating, and lifestyle habits. The body isn’t detoxified when it sweats. It’s overheated.

The bottom line is don’t “sweat” excessively about how much you do or don’t sweat. Some people tolerate heat better than others, just as some people tear more easily when they cut onions or drool more readily when they go to the dentist.

Sweating dehydrates the body. A dehydrated body is prone to heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Lost fluid must be replaced. Drinking water is a good place to start. If you are a noncompetitive everyday walker logging three miles a day, drinking a cup of water before and after your workout and sipping from your water bottle as you walk will suffice. If you are a competitive walker, it’s important to be proactive about fluid replacement, including working with your coach to compute your needs.

http://www.walkaboutmag.com/17gates.html

finding conflicting thoughts on this....

Last edited:
I'm always carrying a sports drink now. I know for a fact that sodas, especially caffeinated soda or teas, can really dehydrate the body. That happened to me a few times.

The fine line we have to walk is to not wash out electrolytes with bottled water.
I totally stopped drinking my usual favorite soda last week when I was in extremely hot weather. I was successful with a decaffeinated sports drink and staying in cool areas whenever possible.

Just purely out of curiosity, did you have any of those 'new' bottled waters that may have ginseng or ginko biloba?

Last edited:
Not sweating can also result in a build up of toxins in the body as sweating is one of the
most important ways the body excretes toxins. Finally, if your core body temperature increases—
your body cannot tolerate this, so your thyroid gland may reduce its function in order to compensate
for the high body temperature –so you develop “compensatory hypothyroid.”
As patients fail to sweat toxins out, and the liver
fails to detoxify toxins and the gut becomes increasingly toxic, the overall toxic load in the blood
increases leading to further problems with brain function

would think if the adrenals are over worked and the thyroid is not functioning properly then it can't take care of the increased heat

also... .to your body, those meds are considered toxins

Last edited:
Rebecca is dealing with a very high fever today. I have been keeping her cooled, and hydrated, but I have been wondering if fever would push her trigger button. Hasn't so far, but I am a bit nervous as we are to be leaving in 1.5 days on a flight across country.
Oh... and she is suppose to take a final in her summer school class tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.... good timing.

Rebecca is dealing with a very high fever today. I have been keeping her cooled, and hydrated, but I have been wondering if fever would push her trigger button. Hasn't so far, but I am a bit nervous as we are to be leaving in 1.5 days on a flight across country.
Oh... and she is suppose to take a final in her summer school class tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.... good timing.

ugh that sucks...hope she feels better! :) and does well on her exam!

A community project I am involved in has me out side in this summer heat 3-4 days a month. Even in 118 degree heat we managed to keep heat stroke at bay. We spend 10 minutes in the sun, 10 minutes in the shade. Then every 30 minutes drink fluids.

Drinking water is okay but I found it made me feel worse and also made me nauseated. So I switched to every other bottle of fluid to be gatoraide. Profuse sweating caused a huge loss of eletrolites. Water does not replace electrolites. If I still felt icky I stopped the water completely and stuck to the gatoraide.

If we felt too much heat getting to us, getting light headed, dizzy, weak, shakey, we pour ice water over the wrists. It works every time.

This cools the blood to the heart without causing a sudden temp change. It's the sudden temp change that causes the heart to flutter or fainting.

I have lived in the desert since 1979 and before that Florida for 20 years. I understand heat and humidity and NEVER have I subcomed to the heat to the point of being sent to the hospital. The trick is to be AWARE of your body signals and to act on them ASAP.

I may not be taking AEDS at present, but the cocktail of medications I take for my Rheumatoid Arthritis are just as heinous with the side effects. The chemo drug is especially nasty. Even though the heat and sun are my enemies, I have found a working soultion in dealing with them.

When it's really hot outside I just stay inside and try to stay as cool as possible, I am also sensitive to temperatures changes, especially unexpected. Most of the time though I feel like my seizures are triggered by other things like lights, sounds, and sudden movement, though it might be controversial to say that each trigger causes a different type of seizure??? Not really certain on that one entirely since I am no doctor lol, just taking wild stabs in the dark...so to speak lol

I have to be careful not to stay outside two long for two reasons. One- heat triggers a seizure. Two- I get hives to the sun. One of my triggers, which I'm told is an unusual one, is laughing. If I laugh a lot I'll have a seizure.

This is an old thread but a very worthwhile topic for those of us in the US at this time of year. Heat is probably close to being my number 1 trigger and it just so happens that I live in the desert region on So. Calif. lol I was also on Topamax for awhile, but my epileptologist changed me due to not being able to sweat. Like others, I stay inside as much as possible, plan my day trips, and stay out of the sun. There are also cooling vests that you can buy. They're pricey but may be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom