Heightened senses?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have no idea if my words will do this justice, as I'm having a hard enough time understanding it myself, but here goes.

I've had a few rough days of seizures, more than I have had in a while. Seizure early yesterday, then another in the afternoon. A shower later in the afternoon, and when I picked up the razor, I looked at it strangely. It didn't feel right, although it looked like mine. I felt every bump and groove on the razor like never before.

4 more seizures scattered throughout last evening and today.... this morning, my normal yogurt and fruit felt different on my palate. My hot coffee, felt hotter, and my cold water, colder. The texture of everything different in my mouth. It's weird, and I'm not really enjoying my favorites! A few more seizures today, and noises are louder. I asked my son tonight if he happened to swap out razors for some reason... he officially thinks I've lost it.

I remember experiencing something like this once before and I think it lasted a few days, but can't remember if it was around the same time I had a cluster of seizures.... am I crazy, or has anyone experienced anything like this before?

:hello: Beuller?

I have, I will never get used to it haha. My memory is awful. I know I found something on google about perception changes in relation to seizures. Honestly I feel way different after seizure clusters. I've had sensation problems for awhile now, how much of that is related to the seizures is hard to say. I can relate to the food thing as well. Food tastes different for me lately too. I recall always having the same reaction to food, tastes being similar. Now it can vary. It is so unusual.

The only thing I can assume is the brain firing differently. Slowing down or speeding up I would imagine could change perceptions. Maybe in the focal point of the brain you have had seizures?

OR...you could be getting super powers! *imagine that conversation with the doctor*

Lol! Super powers! I'm in!! I get like this to before and after but it could be medication too?

Yes!!! After the first ones everything was weird. After the second one I remember asking my husband "I've seen/done/heard this before, right??"

Or I would grab up my phone as it was playing Pandora because I was SURE i'd never heard this version of whatever song was on....only to find it already had a thumbs up.

I'm sensitive to sounds, my husband likes to have the surround sound system on, but I can't stand it. I don't use it when I'm listening to my music.

OR...you could be getting super powers! *imagine that conversation with the doctor*

Ha, super power!! Yes, I like it, and will go with that! But yeah, I can just imagine that conversation.

LW6279, medication is possible too, as I'm nearly done coming off Vimpat after some very unfavorable reactions. I'm also on Dilantin, since July, which I've tolerated a lot better than many other the others they've tried me on.

Thanks all, just happy to know I'm not alone!

When I was on Keppra My sense of smell was off the charts. I couldn't stay to smell anything.

Back
Top Bottom