hereditary???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rhea

New
Reaction score
Over the course of studying and researching, I have concluded that maybe my epilepsy is inherited. After watching my son and daughter and some of their behaviors (that are similar to mine) I have set them both up with my neuro. My daughter is 20 and is 28 weeks pregnant. It seems like her "symptoms" are increasing. The emotional (uncontrollable) outbursts are increasing as are the flipping of the hands and the night movements. There are some other things that the OB thought were significant enough to warrant an appt. with a neuro. My son is 19 and in the Army. He really doesn't want to be evaluated yet, as it would mean a medical discharge if the tests are positive. He has always had worse symptoms than my daughter. I didn't know what they meant until I was diagnosed, now these things are familiar enough that I think they both may have it.
My MRI was normal, so there was no evidence of trauma or infection. I did have meningitis when I was younger and that may be a cause. Neither one wants or can be medicated right now. I was wondering how long that they could be untreated without serious consequences? I know I had it for at least 5 years without being diagnosed, and probably much longer. If my daughter has it she will be treated as soon as the baby is born. If my son has it, he will be treated as soon as he gets back from his tour.

Actually, depending on how bad her symptoms are, they may start her on meds while she's pregnant. It's a matter of weighing the risks....She's past the first trimester, so is she willing to risk seizing and possibly falling on her stomach or stopping breathing, or would she rather risk going on low dose meds? Now this is all based on the supposition that she will be found to have epilepsy. For all you know, the hand flipping might be learned behavior from watching you as she was growing up.
As for your son....personally, I'd encourage him to go see the medic...He might get a medical discharge, but I'd rather risk that then losing conciousness during a critical time when others are counting on him. The thought of someone carrying a firearm while having symptoms scares the beejees out of me...

My MRI and EEG's always come back normal...so they aren't necessarily good tests to go by. The docs still can't figure out if it's genetic or a combo of genetic and head injury, or just head injury, or some other reason, that I have seizures....

I have

to agree with Skilly on both counts. I just found out recently that my E IS hereditary.

And, I have had three children while having had E at the same time...I was born with it. So, if she has to go on the meds, then so be it. Better for her to go on the meds, than to go into a full blown tonic clonic (been there, done that quite a few times) while pregnant.

Depending on how long your son has been in the Army for, when he does get the medical discharge, he will get a ooooooooooo, what's the word i want???
certain percentage level of his pay---i think that's right. There is at least one thread here pertaining to that very topic. The author of the thread was a guy named Batman.....he went through the very same thing.

I wish you luck.

Meetz
:rock:

Hi, My seizures are inherited. My father had epilepsy. It goes clear back in his family. I have 2 sons and my sister has epilepsy.

I took meds when I was pregnant with all four of my children. I did not want to hurt my babies with tonic clonics during pregnancy.

We are just now dealing with whether it could be hereditary. My son is not in combat, nor is he a danger to others at this time. He is finishing some training and has only a couple weeks left. My daughters appt. with my neuro is June 5. We will pursue it further with my son. He wants to finish this school so he can get benefits if he has to be discharged. He will not be staying in IF he has E. We have talked about it at length, and decided to hold until he finishes school at the end of May. He would at least have some credentials to get a job when he does finish it. Neither he nor I would ignore the dangers to himself or others if he has E. We will just have to play it by ear with him. I have an excellent neuro and will run it by him when my daughter goes.

Rhea, do not worry about whether it is hereditary or not. It is still epilepsy. If it is hereditary, it does not make the epilepsy worse. My sister was able to work from age 17 to age 50. If it is hereditary, he can still work.

About the military, Meetz is right, talk to batman about it. He has had experience, there.

I've wondered about whether or not it's hereditary too. I have both maternal and paternal uncles and paternal cousins with epilepsy, so perhaps it is something which runs through my family too :ponder:

I realize that you just deal with it and go on. It was a froggy first couple months for me, but I'm adjusting and beginning to accept it. At least I'll be there to help them if they need it.
We're still trying to figure out who is left to drive the others around. They all want to drive my Mustang and our new truck- we'll have to see who gets to!!!!!!

Flipping of the hands are part of myoclonic seizures usually at night. Back and forth. Like the head. I do it and so does Alex.Its like a very small chance you inherrit epilepsy grand mal. But for myoclonic it is a familial epilepsy and about 75% chance of getting it. Alex's Dad has it. I got it from Brain cancer.

Back
Top Bottom