highs and lows

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AlisonBP

New
Reaction score
highs and lows (mood issues)

Anyone else struggle with high and low mood swings that can go on all day before a seizure finally occurs at night?

Sometimes I feel like a stroppy hyper child. I want to break stuff and hit cushions and yell at everyone to go away and leave me alone. Other times I feel like jumping around all over the place but my body cant handle that so it never happens but the urge is amazingly overwhelming. I find it really hard. Its not the same as when I am having an average bad mood day it is more like the messy brain that I had as a child.

Do others get this and if so how do you deal with it?

Last edited:
I haven't had that happen to me, but it sounds as if the moodiness is a kind of seizure aura. Do you keep a seizure journal? Any sense of things that might be triggering your seizures or making the moodiness worse? You can be experiencing fluctuations in blood sugar or in hormones (such as thyroid or estrogen/progesterone) that are contributing to the moodiness and lowering your seizure threshold. You might want to get checked out by your regular doc, to see if other health issues are playing role.

Aside from that, do what you can (I know it's not easy) to eat and sleep well, and remove stressors from your environment.

I posted something similar recently. Right before I had a couple high seizure activity days I was experiencing really bad mood swings. I had a pit in my stomach and felt super depressed for no reason, then angry. I was really confused as to why my moods wers being so strange then had those days lf really strong partials. I had another day of mood swings after then was back to normal. It would seem there is a link.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Sometimes my brain just won't go along with the program, and saying "messy brain" really sums it up. I get hit at about 8-9pm. If my auras are to strong from waking or mid day. I deal with the night seizures by keeping my room as dark as possible and laying down. Usually I can feel things get more bearable.

b4 a sezure i used to get really hyper for ages then stright down to sadness then about an hour later i would have had the sezure!

I want to break stuff and hit cushions and yell at everyone to go away and leave me alone. Other times I feel like jumping around all over the place but my body cant handle that so it never happens but the urge is amazingly overwhelming. I find it really hard. Its not the same as when I am having an average bad mood day it is more like the messy brain that I had as a child.

Do others get this and if so how do you deal with it?

I have been having these moods (wanting to break stuff) all summer. I realized I was depressed. I'm now taking compounded Prozac.

I find that about 1/2 hour before a seizure hits I find everything hilarious! I talk really fast, feel hyper and I laugh and laugh and laugh at the littlest things. Then I have a seizure and I feel numb and low.
I actually enjoy these periods so I just go with the flow and wait for things to happen. Mind you, my seizures are partials so I just wonder if I'm going to cluster and hope for the best. I have ativan to take but they really sedate me so I simply cross my fingers. I can imagine having this last a long time would be pretty tough to handle.
Other times I start to worry about things I cannot control...but not in an anxious kind of way.
I wish emotions weren't all part and parcel of seizures as they are for me.
Mine are totally tied to my hormones. I think that I read somewhere that in the pre-menopausal years that estrogen is increased 10 fold. That is pretty intense.

I have been having these moods (wanting to break stuff) all summer. I realized I was depressed. I'm now taking compounded Prozac.

Don't think that is the case for me as it will only be on days that I end up having seizures.

I haven't had that happen to me, but it sounds as if the moodiness is a kind of seizure aura. Do you keep a seizure journal? Any sense of things that might be triggering your seizures or making the moodiness worse? You can be experiencing fluctuations in blood sugar or in hormones (such as thyroid or estrogen/progesterone) that are contributing to the moodiness and lowering your seizure threshold. You might want to get checked out by your regular doc, to see if other health issues are playing role.

Aside from that, do what you can (I know it's not easy) to eat and sleep well, and remove stressors from your environment.

I know for me that monthly cycle contributes to my problems also tiredness, heat, stress, lack of activity and too much caffine.

Back
Top Bottom