Hitting during a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

350spider

New
Reaction score
Just curious - does anyone else suffer from hitting themselves repeatedly in a seizure while conscious? If so, how do you best handle it? My partner tried to put his hand on my leg (where I was hitting), but it stressed me more and it made the seizure worse. Is it worth using a pillow or cushion? If I can't get to one - then what? Any other ideas? Does anyone else have this? All I can explain it as is literally punching my leg up and down very fast.

This happens to me quite often and it's really quite sore, and I'm entirely aware of it, but can't stop it. Happened again last night at my brother-in-law's.

Thoughts?

Hmm, not something I've experienced myself. I'm curious what others have to say. A pillow sounds like it might be worth a try.

This is a longshot, but could you try some visualization exercises where you picture yourself seizing but also picture yourself stopping hitting yourself (or not hitting yourself at all)? I realize that seizures aren't generally amenable to "mind control", but some kinds of stress responses can be minimized in this way. As an example, studies show that people who do visualization exercises with healing words and soothing music in the weeks prior to a surgery will heal faster and require less pain medication afterwards. Maybe you could visualize your partner intervening with a healing word or gesture, and then have him do so during the seizure.

You know, I hadn't really thought about trying visualization exercises to be honest. I am more than willing to give them a go, though. Anything that helps. Actually, on that thought, perhaps it might work if I try to do that when I feel it coming on (I'm very fortunate that I can almost always tell if a seizure is coming). I'm really curious about things these last few weeks as my epilepsy has been flaring up and I'm getting frustrated with it. However, the new clonotril should hopefully start to work soon. Here's hoping! :) :) Thank you for that idea, btw!

Yes, fingers-crossed that the Clonotril helps. :)

I think it's important to tell others that you can't control your hitting, so they shouldn't restrain you. However, they should put things (pillows) in the way so that you don't hurt yourself.

I went through a recent bout, when I bashed the left side of my face against a desk (I was lying on the floor in the "deskwell," where your legs go). I was conscious and trying to will myself to control it. I did--the only problem was that I then began bashing the right side of my face. End result: two black eyes.

So: tell people not to restrain you, but to put soft objects between your fist and the body part that you're bashing. Even though you're conscious and aware of what's happening, you don't have any control over it. A pillow, blanket, etc. could be just the thing.

Hydrogyrum - thank you so much for that input. I'm also reassured I'm not the only person this has happened to. I'm sorry to hear about your black eyes. I am so sorry it was your head, too. Gah. Epilepsy knows how to keep us on our toes, huh?!

Experimentation would be good. Just nothing that would restrain. A pillow or some foam padding. Basically what hydro said.

I've never hit myself during a seizure, but during some seizures I'd hit my wife. Weird.

Restraint Is A NO NO!

I know what you are talking about when it comes to getting combative when someone tries to restrain you in any way while you are experiencing a seizure.
In 6th grade I had a substitute teacher one day and the regular teacher never let him know that I had E because each time I had an absence seizure I got up and walked out of the classroom. Well, I had an absence seizure that day and he tried to stop me from leaving the room and I found out how strong I get when I am having a seizure. I picked him up and threw him out of my way like a sack of potatoes and left the room anyway.
When he found out I had E he apologized to me for trying to stop me. I thought that was a good gesture on his part. I never expected it.
It is too bad that some people still think that they need to restrain a person during a seizure. Many if not most times someone will get injured as a result of this restraint!

acshuman

I must admit, I've been very fortunate that the people around me have been incredibly supportive. But it's such a pain (figuratively and literally!). Lol

Hello

The wife suffers from epilepsy and has so for 26 years. But after her brain surgery (resection) I think about 10 years ago, she started hitting her self in the face every time she took a seizure. When we told the consultant about it he sent her for an eeg and found the the type of seizure she was having while hitting her self was in fact non-epileptic seizure. Which is a phycological problem not a brain problem. She has been attending a neuro phycologists that seems to be helping her and has reduced those seizures to none

Good to hear that the neuropsych has helped Jonestt. It can sometimes be tough to distinguish between different kinds of seizures, so it's nice to hear that the right diagnosis and treatment was found for your wife.

Back
Top Bottom