hospital stay, broken ankle & my disability appeal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Athena22

New
Reaction score
This past few months have been hell, seizures twice-three times a month, trips to the emergency rooms and my family getting even more worried..
But its gotten even worse now.
Ive broken my ankle thanks to a seizure I had but a week ago.
It was in the bathroom and I thought it was a simple sprain because of the swelling but no. Fracture.
This is the first time Ive ever broken a bone due to epilepsy.
I'm sure there are many out there that have had more worse seizures, this is somewhat why I'm posting this thread. I'm scared to death.
I know I fall most of the time. But I hardly hurt myself but for the shoulder that pops out or a goose egg.
I would hate to have another with my cast still on. It would hurt so bad. ..
But in two weeks I'm going to stay at ST.Marys center to have an doctor learn how to treat me for about four days....Of lights, noises, and things to stress me out.
My disability case, um Many people in my family mostly my sisters are telling me NOT to get it...Also my two doctors are saying I probably shouldnt get it because people would take advantage of me.
I think thier all talking about my father.......

My sisters want the best for me. They want me to have a steady job that doesnt make me believe I'm disabled. And not a check that comes every month for work I never did. I cant drive but I want to, I've never worked but I can....even though I have seizures.

I already did a repeal w my lawyer. I'm not sure if its the best choice. Everyone is looking down on me I feel like.
I dont even know what I'm doing I feel like.
I'm just stuck to this bed. awake at 3 in the morning.
:paperbag::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::sheep::sheep::sheep::idea::coffee:

:hugs:

Sorry things are so tough right now Athena. I haven't broken anything during a seizure, but I've had the shoulder dislocations progress to the point where I had to have two surgeries to stabilize it. I realize this is a low priority right now, but at some point you should get the shoulder checked out by an orthopedist -- every time it pops out it's tearing the labrum in the shoulder a bit and wearing down the bone. It would be a good to at least see a PT to learn what exercises will help stabilize the shoulder and prevent further damage.

I know there's no way to know for sure, but my sense is that it's worth trying to make a go of it without the disability right now. It sounds like your sisters are supportive (which is important), and finding a job -- even a part-time one -- can help in many different ways. Can your sisters help with the job search?

Sorry about the injuries and struggles you are having right now, and I hope things improve quickly.
You comment that you have never worked but are able to . . . that right there says you don't need disability to receive a check every month. At least, not until you give work a try. You have lots of family around from the sounds of things, and you and your family could put a plan together to make things as easy for you as possible once you are working so you don't get over-tired (eg. if you live alone these might be things like someone willing to get groceries for you or with you and help with household chores but if you still live at home you got it made :) ) Always try to see what you are fully capable of; if it turns out you can't work at all, then try the disability route but don't go this route without first trying the other. Who knows, your hospital stay may bring about a medication change that brings you better or even complete seizure control.

Sorry about the injuries you've suffered...I've broken a jaw, orbital bone and had shoulder dislocations during seizures and it's both terrifying and self-limiting when it happens to you because of the lack of control.

That being said...I would say keep the faith and continue looking for suitable employment when you get on your feet (plz excuse the pun), even if you are pursuing disability. You feel weak now because you're broken, but you will heal and get stronger. For now, do everything you can to help your seizures get controlled...this may include dealing with new medicines for a period of time or changing your schedule to accommodate you.

I was at my lowest from November to January of this year and lifestyle changes (No alcohol, caffeine, late night tv, regular exercise) did wonders in my progression.

I'm sure your doctor will give you a lot of jewels that will help you in your personal journey. The biggest thing my neuro's said to me recently was to keep a journal and track seizures and other things going in your life. Namely emotions, stress, stressors, and goals.

I can tell you that employment is certainly possible, even with chronic e! I've found that if you can attain the skills necessary then a lot of office jobs can be open to you. My friend seizes about 3 to 4 weeks on average and he makes a decent living as a programmer, he lives on disability but he can develop websites and do freelance work.

If you have seizures during a certain time of day, you could just put your work in on the other side of the day. Many times, I've had seizures, laid in the postical state for 6 hours, gone to work and slept as soon as I've gotten home.

Stay up, and I wish you the best!

Athena! You're going through a rough patch, but I know you will rise in the end! Keep up looking for a job. I find that it really helps to have a structured day. Look online for someone who wants a writer maybe? I have a very supportive employer that knows what's going on with me in my life, and allows me to work from home. I work for a company that makes websites, and I write a lot of the content. This is something that I can do from home if I'm not feeling the best.

Give that a try!

Sorry Athena. It's terrible when you are hurting, you don't know what to do, so you try something, and then people give you a hard time for the decision you made. You are just doing your best. See the appeal through, even if you aren't sure it's the right thing. You can change your mind later if you want. It's ok.

Last edited:
I saw my appeal through and I got it. I kept looking for work but couldn't get any.

If you get work, you are only allowed to make so much money and then SSI cuts you off. You just be honest with them. That way you have 2 roads open to you.If you get work and lose it, just tell them how much money you made.

Thankyou for replying to my thread. It was very helpful and some of you are pushing me towards canceling my appeal, but others are pushing towards seeing it through. I'm not quit sure what to do.
I'm going to, I think see this last appeal through, if it doesn't go by then don't do another one.
And then start working..............I have this weird idea of working in a coffee shop...Which just happened to open up but two weeks ago in my town.

I have my college classes set up already. Their two online courses- so in case nobody is around to take me, its not a problem..
But its going to be an issue later on.
These are the only remaining computer classes I can take.
Its going to be a burden having one of my family members take me up to class even though I know I could drive.
I really want to move to another town near by that has buses-so I could transport my own self, because my family works from 5-7

I'm going to use the financial aid money they give me to pay for my medical bills for about one or two months. Its all I could do for my sisters lately.

I had two more seizures. I would be glad if someone told me about them after.
One after the other. Bit my tongue. I was in bed watching a movie so no falls. My foot was fine.. I'm not sure whats happening.:paperbag:
Why is my body is reacting like this : /
I feel like god is punishing me. In some weird way. I'm not sure why. I just feel extremely depressed. I shouldnt blame this on god or anyone else, I know that...........I'm just really depressed.

I was talking to this guy lately...but now I'm just thinking maybe I should keep him out of this life. Maybe at least until my seizures calm down.

The recent seizures could be stress-induced caused by the broken ankle, hospital stay, pending relationship, and dilemma you are face with regarding work/disability.
Get out there and live your life; give the guy a phone call. Perhaps this is exactly what you need right now.

Back
Top Bottom