How bad are the med side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

popcorn

New
Reaction score
I had some time taking anti-convulsant drug cocktails mixed in with anti-psychotic meds and anti-depressent and anti-anxiety. The side effects created a whole other monster which is how I ended up on so many meds. I was treated with these for 'bipolar disorder'.

Now I am facing headaches and possible seizures. Doctors have already talked about Depakote for the headaches. No thanks. But I am hoping there is something that can be done about what I think are seizures.

I am worried though. If I get put on something, will the side effects be more difficult to deal with than the actual symptoms I experience now?

Everyone reacts totally differently to the meds out there so nobody can predict your side-effects until you actually try it & find out for yourself.

Personally I think using depakote for your headaches (never knew it was used for that) might be just what you need since depakote is also used to control seizures.

Everyone reacts totally differently to the meds out there so nobody can predict your side-effects until you actually try it & find out for yourself.
:agree:

We do all have totally different side effects on our medications, I could try a med which could give me really bad side effects but another person could try the very same med with minimal side effects.

I found that when my Neurologist would discuss possibly changing my meds I would do a search online to try to find out as much info on the meds side effects as I could, so I was prepared for any possible side effects.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that everyone said.

I've been changed around from so many different meds because of the side effects they caused. It takes awhile to figure out what's right for you, it might not just happen on the first try.

If you really are having siezures, your mental problems might be related to that, and by treating the seizures you might be lucky enough to treat the other issues. But it's tricky, because some of the seizures meds (like Keppra) cause depression, which is one of the symptoms you're trying to cure. Trileptal is used for seizures and bipolar, as are several other meds. But it caused a lot of anxiety for our son. As noted, everyone reacts differently to the meds. It would be great if you could reduce down to just one or two meds that would treat the worst issues -- have you discussed that as a goal with your doctor?

Back
Top Bottom