How do you feel after a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have not had a seizure due to hot weather, but some people do.

It is very important to make sure you drink enough water on hot days. Dehydration can trigger seizures as well as many other problems.

The weather where I live is hot enough to cause a seizure. Has anyone ever have a seizure brought on by hot weather.

Definitely.....I always get it when I'm on holiday (anywhere hot). I think it's mainly due to the dehydration problem, and sleeping in different places (I know that sounds weird, but I'm sure it has something to do with it) :ponder:

Heat/Stress

I would think if the heat stresses you out too much you might wan't to take measures to make yourself/environment more comfortable. Stress can cause siezures. But how actual heat in itself plays a part in seizuring, I really don't know. Something to look up in the net. An interesting question.
Always Laurie

How do I feel?

In the last 3 & 1/2 years I've had 4 seizures. I had a few after a head injury in 1979, but I was in a coma at the time. I took medication for a couple of years then stopped. Nothing til 2005. The first one in January, I was REALLY TIRED before the seizure, went to lie down and had it. I was tired afterwards, but attributed it to being in the emergency room.

The second in August 2005, I was tired, went to lie down and had it. I was tired after it. Put on medication

The third in September 2007, I felt 'funny', was going to lie down and fell onto the bathroom floor - spetacular bruizing on my thigh from hitting the bathroom sink on the way down. After that I was completely pooped and wanted to sleep for hours.

The fourth in March 2008, I didn't feel anything. I was somewhat aware of the others happening around me, but not this one. I find that VERY SCARY!!! Again, after my husband told me that it had happened, I just slept the rest of the day. The fact that I really wasn't aware of it is the thing that scares me the most! Maybe I've had others, with no one around.

Does that ever happen to people? Do people have seizures and not be aware of it?

What timing. Usually I remember being extremely tired & worn out but I had a large sz this morning (well large by my standards- not T/C) & I had to take a nap afterwards.

The hardest part today was not so much being tired & unfocused (which I was) but the moodiness & anxiety that went with it. Someone didn't show up at my place when they said they would. That was no problem but when I got home & saw on my answering machine that someone had buzzed from outside about 2 PM which was the last time I'd met with this guy I started to think I'd gotten mixed up & was really critical of myself. I was also aware that I was also more critical towards most things/people.

Anyway, now that it's fresh in my mind how I & I got a notice reminding me of this thread I thought I'd just add this :twocents:

Hawke-funny you should mention the weather- althought we are not having a heat wave so to speak it is always about 80 to 85 degrees here, but today was a little warmer than usual and I did have a seizure this morning. As for how I feel before an event, queasy and agitated. I feel like the air has left the room. After I want only to sleep. After a couple of hours of 'dead' sleep i get up a little wobbly and a little wiped out but that usually passes within an hour. I remember up to and even some of the 'noisy images' (if that makes sense ) that are in my head while the event is happening. I do have more memory issues following events that last for days. I can see here I also have serious spelling issues...I have corrected this three times already:ponder:

Hi Maureen - I was just diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy last year. I asked him why it's manifesting now? He said I could have been having episodes throught my life without being aware of them. One of the symptoms of TLE is a feeling of "out of the body" experience. In the 70's I thought I was just spiritually enlightened floating up there feeling blissed out! In the past I, too, have "passed out" in the bathroom and at times, anyplace, have felt I was ready to buckly to the floor. Hope this little tid bit helps.
Always Laurie

I am worthless, usually,

for about 3 days. I sleep a solid 18 to 24 hours afterwards. There is no way to get me to do anything. Family turns me over, drops meds and water in my mouth, and makes sure that I swallow, but other than that, it's hopeless.

Once I get up, I cry for a while, because I'm furious that it's happened again. My t/c's, which are famously violent, (I've broken a couple of beds in addition to many bones), are ALWAYS in my sleep cycle. It may happen just as I'm going to sleep, or coming out of sleep, but 98% of the time, they're in deep sleep. I've only had ONE in daytime, and it was because I had just gotten up, hadn't slept but 2 hours in 48, was under TONS of stress, and did it in front of 500 people at a family reunion/50th wedding anniversary. I don't remember diddly. My mother cussed me out for it though. I have a dozen witnesses to that.

My brains are as bad as scrambled eggs afterward, it takes forever and a day it seems for me to realize even who my coworkers are. The 2 people whom I CAN recognize are my hubby and best friend. I can't even recognize my kids. And put together a sentence? Are you kidding? That means I have to know how to talk first. Once I can, I start to become depressed for a while because I KNOW what a long road I have in front of me.....not just in terms of healing from the injuries, but in terms of memories. Whether or not I'll ever be able to access them again, yada yada yada. There are still parts of my kids' childhoods--as well as my own--that I can't pull up, and it will be 5 years on the 13th of this month since my last seizure (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Now that I've rambled, I hope that helps a little bit.

Hi Meetz - So far on the continum, I'm just a bit below you, I think. Haven't broken any beds yet! But have sustained injures nearly poking my eye out twice...and others to list which are probably familiar to you and many.

You addressed a subject which has been on my mind for sometime and have been thinking about posting my question in the Forum for sometime.

My T/C seizures usually occur in the very late afteroon, after a poor night's sleep before, lowering my resistance to stress. I, aslo, have T/C during sleep. I wake up tremendously startleld to find that I've lost complete bladder control. A rushing. (Oh, how I hate having to mention this but I'm sure I'm not alone). I used to think that the bladder control event was in itself a siezure - maybe a petit mal. Now, I understand it's about T/C seizuring during sleep and the "rushing" is a release from the aftermath of seizuring. My question...how on earth can I sleep unaware that my body is convulsing?

What is your experience? Are you ever aware or even wake up in a daze knowing that something is going way out of whack with your body? Now, I sleep with pillows surrounding my head so I won't crack it against the headboard.
Always Laurie

Does seeing yourself seize make it more real?

The worst hangover you can imagine is how I describe it. After my tonic clonics, I have a VERY bad headache, but the pain is not sharp, usually more constant, throbbing, and I feel pressure. I also have naseau, though I don't always vomit. The confusion was much worse when I started with E years ago, but now 90% it clears out within an hour or so. I just seem to realize what happened better now. My memory from prior to the seizure varies, but I have never had long term gaps.

One thing I have found 'interesting' is that I seem to come around faster if I have injured myself (except the near drowning). I have always theorized that the pain is what brings me around.

Emotionally, I am VERY resigned. Not always depressed, more like no fight left in me. Giving up and just wanting to sleep. I have had a lot of fear and anger prior to the seizure.

When I have not had a tonic clonic seizure for awhile, I feel like my brain is a spring getting wound tighter and tighter (like the last year). Though I hate the seizures, sometimes I have a feeling of release over the next couple of days. The longer I go without a seizure, the worse that spring feeling can get. I guess that is one positive about the postictal stage.

As far as seeing myself seize, I have very mixed emotions. I was an EMT for a long time and witnessed plenty of others having seizures. They are not pretty events, though I handled them like any other emergency. The one reason I might want to see myself is to make it more real to myself and maybe easier to accept.

:twocents:
Ok. You're "out" on the floor. You're in that vulnerable gap between the conscious and unconsious. We get feeback from others who've witnessed our episodes and even that is questionable to us because we wonder if they are elaborating or playing it down for us. We feel helpless in in this particular way, too.

I think, as with any serious disorder/condition comes a degree of "denial" eg "I tripped over my cat. Must have went flying and I must have hit my head and had a concusion". This was my first belief and denial when having my first episode.

*I'm double minded about the issue of seeing myself seize. One on hand, I believe seeing it happen to me, let's say from an arial perspective, would make it more real for me (refer to first paragraph re: people's feedback). But the visual could hit so strongly that I might haunt myself thinking "Oh no, such twisting and distortion. Will I ever be "normal?" (I hate that word.)

Though, after the horror of seeing our own picture we coud validate our condition - or see our condition as our incapability of being in control and cement that in our mind forever, hence, hindering us to live a more "fear free" life.

Buckeye - you brought up a very interesting/complex topic, one worthy of further discussion and sharing by others who have the same ghostly question.
Thanks. Always Laurie

Last edited:
Laurie.......

In answer to your question, NO, I am NEVER aware that I'm having one. 98% of the time, I'm in deep sleep, so I really don't know until I wake up. And I don't always wake up immediately afterwards, either. My friends and family sure wish I would though. I scare them witless.

How do I protect myself? Hmmmmm. Well, I've given up on that. But for now, I sleep in a recliner because my sinuses are so messed up and I can't go under for the surgery. So I am fairly well contained. The injury I hate the worst, besides the total inability to THINK, is totally chewing through my tongue. And I do butcher it quite well.

Would I like to see myself? Some days yes, some days no. Yes, because I would LOVE to see what's scaring people so much. But on the other hand, no, for the exact same reason.......and I don't know that I could handle watching myself, either. That might be just a bit too freaky.

Take care, and I wish you the best!

Hi Meetz - When I imagine what people are seeing, I feel badly. I once saw a young woman seize and I felt sorry for her more that I felt frightened. I immediately went to her aid. But my face must have registered some kind of horror or fright because I couldn't entirely dissasociate myself from the situation. I can only imagine the faces, now, who face me seizing like that one woman from years ago. It's something I really don't want to imagine. It must be a horrific scene for them to witness.
Always Laurie

Back
Top Bottom