How do you get rid of a medical card?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
OK, I know this is a question you've never heard before. I know everyone wants a medical card so they will have coverage for doctor's visits and medicine. But how do you get rid of that coverage? The deal is this (and it's kept me up all night with worry ever since I realized what keeping it would risk for me) I just got that card about two weeks ago. I only went to the DHHR to get a rejection letter, not medicaid, because I need that letter to qualify for coverage through our hospital for my up-coming doctor's visit which may be expensive with extra tests, etc. I have that doctor's apt. at the end of April so I can get that annual perscription so I can keep getting Lamictal from the company's drug plan. I am only on Lamictal at 400 mg. a day so I don't have any other drugs to "cover" for it if the generic dosen't work. And that's it. That's the problem. Since there is a generic form of Lamictal the state won't cover the name-brand without a real bunch of bother and I'm not going to have time to go through all that. I'm going to run out and I can't afford to chance that. The generics may be OK in some cases but I can't afford to risk it. My seizures are controlled (well, sort of) on this dose and to loose that steady dose and go to a generic with a potency of 80% to 125% of that dose in each tablet without any way to know exactally what I'm dealing with so I can't even know to adjust the number of tablets I take a day so I can be sure it is that 400 mg. will mean I will probably have many more seizures and loose my driver's licence and I'll loose my job and I am a single parent and live in an area with NO public transportation so keeping that card has a real chance of destroying me and my family. So how do I get rid of it? There has to be a way. Do you just call the state and say, "No thanks, I've changed my mind, reject me quick!" or go out and buy burial insurance and cancel it the day after I see my doctor, or what? Any ideas? HELP!!

I'd start with calling the state to see if there IS a way to get rid of the card.

You can return it. However, you will not get a rejection letter for it, because you are eligible to receive it

Back
Top Bottom