how do you know when you've had a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My grand mal seizures were controlled for fifteen years but a few months ago they started coming back for some reason. My question is how do you know when you've had a grand mal seizure? I always thought I'd find myself on the floor, maybe I bit my tongue or discover a few bruises to suggest I had one. But my husband tells me he witnesses me have tcs and I don't feel different at all. I would never know that I'm having them without him. I have plenty of sp and cp seizures all the time but I usually know when I'm having or have had one. I've been spending ten years trying to find and aura with no success. I wonder how many tcs I have when I'm alone and I wonder if there's a way to find out.

LMReggcellent

I am not being smart but the seizures I have are Grand Mal or Tonic clonic and believe me you know when you have had one but that is me everybody is different so what applies to me does not apply to you necessarily.

Tonic Clonic awake I always know because I hurt am confused etc, though this will not necessarily stop me going about my daily buisness like trying to go to work, in the town where I haven't worked for over a year, on a Sunday. Doh!

If I have a Tonic Clonic in my sleep and then just 'slept it off' it's harder to tell. I just wake up tired like I have had no sleep and muscles hurting or wet bed. I confidently guess I have had a seizure.

Abscence or complex partials I know because people tell me I have spaced out or done
something weird. I think lots get missed because I am not with people. Most get picked up at work as I am usually constantly talking to people.

Q

If I've had a TC, I come back to being on the floor, 2 people whom I know telling me who they are, and informing me I had a seizure. I may not be able to fully intelligible what they are saying, but at least seeing them partially helps.

Complex Partials are a whole different matter. The aura starts, usually a creeping cold feeling on my back, and I have maybe a minute before I black out of it. I don't know what happens, and I wake up out of it, very tired, slurring my speech, and all the usual "I have no idea" answers to the questions. When I start understanding my speech as well as theirs, I understand why they are asking me the questions.

with me, I didn't know I had one till I woke up in the ambulance and then again in the ER. I was told I started having one in Walmart and someone knew the signs and helped me to the floor so I wouldn't injure myself. I was shopping one second, in the ambulance the next.

I have no memory of anything from when I went down to waking in the ambulance and ER. I don't know if I was passed out all that time or awake and had no memory. Later, they found out I had a brain hemorrhage. My neurologist thinks it's the blood that caused it but don't know the reason for the blood.

From my understandings, Grand Mal's you lose consciousness and don't recall anything, partial complex, you don't lose consciousness but have a staring into space kind of thing.

Has your husband witnessed one of your prior tonic-clonic seizures that you know were in fact tonic-clonic? Sometimes some other seizure types can look similar to certain aspects of a tonic-clonic when in fact they were not that type, such as a tonic seizure or clonic or hemi-clonic seizure (the latter is a new one I learned about from here). It is possible that if one of these happened in your sleep that you may not have the typical post-seizure after-effects.

I've had Tonic-Clonics too along with other seizure's that my doctors aren't able to name, but I have never realized I had one unless I've had a witness tell me after or I've lost bladder control. In my perspective, it seems like I've just blinked since I don't have any prior warnings or bruises, bleeding or aches/pain after having one.

When I was working, and would have one at work, I would be on one side of the store and then come out of it on the other side, confused and asking myself "What am I doing over here?"

How do you know when you've had a seizure?

My husband or someone else. either sees it or I hurt myself,sometimes I just get that feeling I had a seizure I can't explain. On very rare days I have an aura.

Belinda

Back
Top Bottom