How far in advance can I expect to be scheduled for EEG?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I called my Neurologists office to find out if he'd ordered the EEG & or to find out how far in advance they book them and he hadn't ordered it yet but it's still early. I saw him June 5th & he said he wanted an EEG in 5 months, which would put that in November.

How far in advance does the Neurologist order them? First time, I had it a month after I saw him & I think it was only cause it was an emergency. I'm scheduled to see the Neurologist for a follow up from last appointment and for the EEG he wants to have done December 3rd. That's about 3 months.

I had my eeg 5 days after the 1st appt with the neuro. They sent someone out to my house and I was all wired up for 72 hrs.

It may not have been a month after first appointment with him, maybe 3 weeks? Don't remember for sure. Saw him in January 2 weeks after Seizure and had the EEG first but didn't have the MRI till March 1st, then they found the blood & I was in surgery within 5 hours after.

I've had 2 within a day of being checked into hospital (First was my first TC and I guess I didn't tell enough people not to worry so they panicked the second time and called an ambulance. Hospital just did their thing then).

The time I had the sleep deprived one, I reckon it was about a month from when I saw the neurologist to when I had the EEG.

I think it depends on what sort of setup you have with your doctor and hospital.

Our neurologist in the US actually does EEGs (the short 20 minute ones) right in her offices. For a 48 hour EEG in hospital, she'd schedule that about 1 month in advance, and about 2 weeks prior to appointment. Our epileptologist works right out of the hospital, and schedules the short EEGs on the same days he sees us (EEG in AM and then see him later that day).

In Bangkok, our neurologist also works right in the hospital, and we usually have an EEG (if we have one) on the same day we see him. He'll usually come down the hall, and take a look at it himself. Jon just had a sleep EEG, and our doctor had that scheduled at the private hospital, because he could get Jon right in within several days, because at the other hospital he said there's a 2 month wait.

Wow. I had to wait about 6 months to have my first EEG. The one to determine whether or not i had epilepsy.

I'm pretty sure this EEG will be different, first one was basic and didn't show anything, he may do a sleep deprived one, we'll see. They do it at the hospital & whenever results are abnormal, my Neurologist is notified immediately.

I think it depends... My neurologist does the EEG right in his office building, and they literally only have two neurologists in the practice, so I was able to get one the day after I saw him for the first time. The MRI, on the other hand, was scheduled at the local hospital, and that one was scheduled a couple of weeks out.

I think it depends... My neurologist does the EEG right in his office building, and they literally only have two neurologists in the practice, so I was able to get one the day after I saw him for the first time.
That is the same with me.
I live in a small town with only 2 neurologists who work at the same clinic & the EEGs are done at their clinic.
I have had 3 EEGs at my local neurologists clinic & all of them were done on the spot. The 1st one was the day after I started having seizures again & it was done at my 1st appt with the Neurologist. I am pretty sure that with the 2nd one I rang the neuro to tell him about some strange seizures I was having & he asked me to come in for a EEG. The 3rd one I went to see the neurologist after having more seizures & he decided that I should have another EEG which was done straight after I saw him.

My Neurologists office is right next to the hospital, just across the street, two buildings away & I had my first EEG done in the hospital. I had the MRI done in a section separate from the hospital but hospital is attached. Not same hospital where I had the EEG.

The times I've been in the hospital, were in the hospital where my Neurologists office is close to except when I had the brain surgery, they had no room and I had to be taken to a hospital over 45 miles away. Nearest hospital is 15 minutes but it's small and I usually end up at the next one, which is 40 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom