How Long?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
If you have not had a grandmal or tonic/clonic seizure, If you're only having simple partial onset/aura's:

* How long did it take for them to diagnose you?
* How long did it take before they prescribed meds?
* What kind of test did they use?
* Did the test determine what type of seizures?

I was diag. in 1972, I just told the Neru. what I was feeling and doing she diag. on the spot. She did order test and they were done the next day.
I think times have changed since then.

I have déjà uv /auras and absence seizures.

I was diagnosed when I was 18 months old. It was then I had my first grand mal seizure. I was taken my ambulance for a children's hospital, where I was given anti seizure drugs to see if they would stop the seizures. Then they ran tests and confirmed Temporal lobe Epilepsy. The tests said the seizures were coming from the Left Temporal lobe area. Which to this day, still reads the same. They did an EEG and MRI. Ive had those repeated countless times through out the years. All my MRI's come back normal, but the EEG's show Epileptic activity in the left temporal lobe area. Ive been on several different kinds of medications over the years. The kind I am now on, and have been since the age of 17, is Keppra. I started out taking regular Keppra and Carbatrol. Then last year after having my first VEEG, I was taken off the Carbatrol and put back on the Keppra XR. Which Ive been taking since.

I had my 1st tonic clonic (back then they were grandmal) seizure in 1978 when I was 9 months but I had 2 more tonic clonic seizures before the drs diagnosed it as epilepsy when I was 11 months old. I had tonic clonics on a regular basis until I was approx 3. I am not sure what type of tests were done when I was a baby or how long it was until I was put on Anti Epilepsy meds. My Mum said when I was on the meds as a baby/toddler it was high dosages & I was taken of meds when I was about 7.

I went 21 years seizure free until May 2002 when I started taking seizures again. I was taken to hospital after my Mum rang me & realised I wasn't myself as I was all confused & didn't know who she was. At 1st the drs didn't know what was wrong but then I had a tonic clonic while in hospital & spent the night there. The drs at the hospital were able to get me in to see a neurologist the next day so as soon as I got out of hospital I went straight to the neurologists clinic. When I saw the neurologist he went through my history of epilepsy & did an EEG which showed seizure activity. The neurologist thought that I might have had 3 tonic clonics the day before (2 at home then 1 in hospital). I think the neurologist started me on Tegretol at our 1st visit (mind you it is 10 years ago so can't really remember lol).

I had an MRI 2 weeks after the 1st visit with the neurologist, I had 2 other MRIs after that. The MRIs I had showed scarring on my left front temporal lobe & I was diagnosed with Left temporal lobe epilepsy. The different Neurologists/epitiologists I've seen think the scarring on my brain may be from the tonic clonics I had as a baby but no one knows why I went so long in between seizures.

Last edited:
I never had tonic-clonic seizures. My diagnosis was extremely delayed because of misdiagnoses when I was young, having another undiagnosed illness, and me not knowing any better. I explain a little in my intro post.

Once I was finally sent to a neurologist instead of a psychiatrist it was fast.

First visit was history, questionare and review of symptoms and physical exam. Then I was sent for MRI, memory test and EEG. Right after the EEG she told me it was abnormal and had confimed the seizures. I don't know if it tells the type. I'm still new to all this stuff. I did notice that the bottom of the report said "frontal lobe" and "left temporal lobe." I didn't know to ask her what kind of seizurs but someone posted a link of descriptions and simple partial and complex partial describes everythign I've been going through.

maryltyme
[QUOTE
* How long did it take for them to diagnose you?
* How long did it take before they prescribed meds?
* What kind of test did they use?
* Did the test determine what type of seizures?[/QUOTE]

I took a while for me to get diagnosed, at that time they were called grand mal seizures, even though a vet diagnosed me at around 18 months it was still a few tears and years before a neurologist said it was epilepsy, I seen a few places as a child and one or two extrema remides, needless to say the offers were refused.

The medication came straight away. I was on a very high amount of meds until late teens and so many different ones I have forgot most,
The usual tests were preformed at that time not like now.
At the time there was only an EEG done, later I had EEG and Cat scan there was no MRI at that time. What determined the type of epilepsy first was the seizures I had while visiting my dr as a baby and then at the start of my teens.

Back
Top Bottom