How much alcohol can I consume on Keppra with epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mike758

New
Reaction score
I started having partial seizures about 8 years ago and had two grand mal seizures about 4 years ago. Since the two grand mal seizures, I've been prescribed to Keppra and haven't had any symptoms since. I gave up drinking for awhile because my first grand mal came two days after I got hammered drunk, plus I was never a huge drinker anyway. However, now I'm 21 and go out to the bars with my friends now.

My doctor told me that I'm allowed to drink, but he said don't get too drunk. What would you guys consider a safe drinking limit? By the way, I'm a 21 year old male and weigh 180 pounds.

Hi Mike,

Personally I wouldn't be drinking at all if I were in your place because it may lead to seizures for some people. I can remember when I was your age and was going out with
my friends I would limit myself to 2 drinks at the most but I was taking Depakene and mysoline back then. You may want to ask your pharmacist what is the best thing to do
I have found they know more about the meds than some of my Drs. I've dealt with over the yrs. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

It's different for each person, so there's no way to make any recommendations that come with guarantees -- unless you don't drink at all of course. But if you've decided to drink, proceed with caution until you get a sense of how you're affected. Start small, perhaps with half a drink, or a low alcohol one. Don't drink alone, don't drink on an empty stomach, don't drink if you are sick or exhausted (factors that can lower seizure threshold). Drink plenty of water. If you are okay on a small drink, you can probably increase the amount, but always do so slowly, and always drink in moderation. One of the side effects of taking AEDs and drinking alcohol is that the sedative effects can be magnified. For this reason, it's a good idea to have someone else do the driving.

I'm on Lamictal with good seizure control, and I'm able to have a few beers or a few mixed drinks, following the general principals above. But again, your mileage may vary, so use common sense and don't overindulge.

I very rarely drink but when I do it's usually at Christmas, New Years, summer picnics and things like that. I've never had any problems but as said everyone is different.

I've never been a beer drinker just mixed drinks. I'll only have one or two, I don't get drunk. When I'm with my husband's side of the family his step mom will make 2 drinks, like margaritas, for everyone with alcohol in them then starts making them non-alcoholic for everyone. I think it's because she doesn't want a house full of drunks in general.

Like Nakamova said start small and work your way up. Don't go out and have two or three drinks right from the start. Have one drink when you're out for at least a month or two. If you do ok after that you might be able to have another one but don't quote me on that.

It's a very individual thing, and what Nak said is right on. For some, alcohol can be a big trigger but not everyone reacts the same way. I'm not on Keppra though, I take lamictal.

I'm able to drink. Sometimes I over do it and pay for it the next day with a terrible hangover.

Know your limits!

Last edited:
You never can tell how it will affect you, I was able to have a few drinks on occasion until my doctor added Vimpat. I made the mistake of having the one drink of wine that was my limit before, I became so dizzy that I passed out. Please check with your doctor, especially if it's a new drug or new dose. I don't want anyone to go through that.

In general, as others have said, it's kind of variable from person to person. My neurologist recommended that I limit my alcohol consumption, but I decided to just give it up entirely. I was never a very heavy drinker, so I haven't had any negative effects from giving it up.

For years I didn't drink, but going to bars it's tempting because people always ask why I don't drink and I've even had people buy me drinks. Last time I was out, I had an Ocean Breeze, which is a mixed drink. I just drank that one, and I felt completely fine. So at this point, I'm going to consider one drink my limit

I quit drinking several years ago after my doctor increased my Topamax.
At the time I was taking Keppra,Lamictal,and Topamax. I usually kept my drinking down to one or two beers or a glass of wine. After the Topamax increase I would fall asleep after a glass of wine. it was then that I decided to stop,because it was no longer enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom