how often is cortical dysplasia drug resistant?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

beasco

New
Reaction score
Hi all

First time poster here so please be nice. I was diagnosed with cortical dysplasia (focal i think) a 5-6 months back after having 2 grand mal seizures (3-4 months apart). Once diagnosed they put me on lamotridgine (lactamil) and I eventually worked up to 2x50mg a day. However, I recently had a third grand mal seizure. I know i'm luckier than many in that mine aren't as frequent and also I know my dosage isn't a lot (and I expect my doctor will increase the doasge). My question is this, what are my chances that this will be able to be controlled by drugs? BTW I'm a 20yr old male is that helps

TL;DR how often is cortical dysplasia drug resistant?

THANKS

He beasco, welcome to CWE!

My question is this, what are my chances that this will be able to be controlled by drugs?
Epilepsy is so individualized it's really hard to say. In your favor is the fact that you've had relatively few seizures. If the higher dose of Lamictal does the trick, that's also a good sign (100mg/day IS low -- your doc should probably have had you taper up to a higher dose initially).

The downside: In general, epileptic seizures in focal cortical dysplasia are difficult to control with meds and can be intractable. In these situations, surgery is considered the next step. The upside: 60 to 80% of patients remain seizure-free post-surgery.

A note of caution: Cortical dysplasias can take a lot of different forms, and have many different prognoses. Your best bet is to discuss treatment options and outcome with your neurologist that will be relevant to your particular situation.

I hope you feel free to explore the different forums here and vent/chat/etc. Whatever your epilepsy experience, CWE is a great site for support and empathy.

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for your reply. That's what I was kind of expecting. I'm just worried that in my case it won't be controlled by medication. I suppose there's only one way to find out :)

Thanks again

welcome beasco,
rather than explain the story here, it's in my profile. i'm with you friend, pm and ask anything you want. and yes nak is right; there are three different types of cortical dysplasia and seizure occurence and severity is different with all (i was CD type I). more often than not is drug-resistant at some point.

-did they tell you all the necessary info (type I, II, or III, and the exact reason)? regardless of type it begins in the mother's womb during brain development and usually due to abnormal cell growth, tho the 'abnormal' has sub-types, such as what is referred to as 'taylor's focal cortical dysplasia.' have a google and check it out.

:hugs: natasha.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom