I called to make sure i get to see my DR and not the PA!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, after almost 1 month of being switched back to the Keppra XR at 3000mgs a day, all my symptoms... (numbness tingling feeling I had my left hand and foot, and headaches) went away within days of being put back on the Keppra XR. So I report the good changes to the dr, and of course I dont hear back. But as time went on, I got to thinking.... Why should I have to see the PA again in August when my DR himself should be seeing me? She is not the one who was there during the VEEG, and saw the results. She also wasnt the one changing my medications, over the past few months, and telling me I was suffering from anxiety attacks and Keppra rage!

So, I called the office and left a message, asking to please be seen by the dr himself and not the PA next time I got back in August. I get a call today, saying that is fine. But instead of August 25th, it will be August 31st. Which is fine with me. I just would like to see HIM, since he is the one who was with me during all the changes, and he's also the one that needs to hear it from me how I went back to the psych dr, and agrees with me that what he is thinking is Non-epileptic seizures, were in fact due to abrupt withdrawal from my seizure medications! My last seizure was March 12th. One day after being sent home from my VEEG, and my second day of being back on Keppra XR, and not the Carbatrol. I went 3.5 days with no medications, and then put back on Keppra XR. I just want this dr to realize that Anticonvultants does not treat Non-Epileptic seizures. Like the psych dr said, if those were truely non-epileptic seizures, they would still be popping up, and not go away with taking Keppra or any other seizure medications.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and seeing the doctor!

I do think that when we are sick, one of the hardest things is advocating for ourselves to get the treatment we need and deserve. Dealing with the docs is almost harder than the disorder itself. You are doing a GREAT job, Momof3boys.

:)

Thanks Endless! :)

The last time I saw him was at the building the psych dr was at! That was on June 13th I saw her. He was walking towards us, and made eye contact with my mom. I was too busy asking the person for help, on exacly where to go.... at the time I couldnt remember which hallway to take! :roflmao: But to think that he saw us, made eye contact, didnt aknowledge us, and then stop to look right at us as we were getting on the elevator really makes me kind of frustrated to know that he doesnt at least want to say hi and check in on how things are going? Then not to even have a follow up visit with me after being released from the VEEG? Everyone I spoke with said that was very odd why he wasnt the one I saw when I went back in May. I think after everything that he's tried, and all the stuff he has said, thinking it was the keppra rage causing the emotions, and telling me Im suffering from anxiety attacks, that maybe he thinks he shouldnt have "jumped the gun" and saw how things went before telling me his opinion on things. Thats one thing I want to make very clear to him when I see him next time. :)

I had alot of problems with my neuro's PA. I would see her every other visit.

The woman wouldn't listen to a word I had to say and just told me what was going on with me, not even asking questions.

When I was making an appt with my neuro's secertary out of my usual visit schedule becaues I was having alot of seizures at the time she told me that I could see his PA the next day or if I wanted to see the neuro I'd have to wait a few days longer. I told her that I didn't want to see the PA again and I'd wait because I was only gong to see my neuro from now on. I said that I'd rather come in and see his secretary before I'd see the PA. I haven't even been asked if I wanted to see her since.

The best thing that I did to her however was at the begining of the visit I was taking out all the pills I take and showing her the bottles. I have skin problems that I see a dermatologist for, I call it scabies (not knowing that was a real thing). At the bottom of my bag I found my cream and said "Here's my scabies cream, I've been looking for this stuff". If you could have seen the look on the womans face as she backed away from me, it was great. Somehow I got back at her for everthing she had done to me with that one little scentence! That might be another reason that I haven't had to see her.

If you think you are going to be having problems with the neuro himself then maybe think about finding another, but as you said, wait until the next visit and see how that goes.

I dont want to say Im going to have problems with him. I just want to be able to sit down and sit him straight on how things are going. Since the VEEG, he has only been focusing on the seizures that didnt register as epileptic seizures. He said I had epileptic activity showing up on the EEG, so kept me on the Keppra, but then told me he was going to take me off of Keppra and put me on lamictal, which I later found out the real reason he was doing that because he then told me I dont have Epilepsy, but anxiety attacks! What he thinks he saw on the VEEG that didnt register. But as my psych dr points out, I was abruptly taken off both seizure medications, which were both ER tablets, which would explain it taking 40 hours after my last dose before seizures began, and the seizures I was having, were due to withdrawal of the seizure medications. Once I was put back on the seizure medications, they stopped. If they were non epileptic seizures, the Keppra, along with the others he tried to add... vimpat and lamictal, wouldnt have stopped them from coming. But since I havnt had any since then, and things have gotten alot better, then she would have to sum it up to being seizures from abrupt withdrawal of my seizure medications. She didnt know I was on seizure medications for that long, and then suddenly stopped. She said she wished she had known this before, it would have all made sense to her when I first saw her.

But the most important thing now is to sit down with the dr himself and let him see that things are good, not bad. No seizures have occured, the keppra is doing great, and to give him the update from the psych dr.

Back
Top Bottom