I cant believe the difference in taking a b vitamin!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Tuesday I noticed I ran out of the Vitamin B I take each morning with my Keppra and Carbatrol. Ive been taking the Vitamin B since November 2010. Ive seen its helped out alot with the Kepprage. Well, just over the past few days, we've been so darn busy, that I havnt gotten around to getting out to get more. My husband noticed right off the bat at how my moods have been. I didnt put the two together til friday night. I just cant believe how much it helps with the moods. Hell I can be happy one minute, and the next minute its like the she devil is out of me! lol Its freaking that bad! I couldnt believe it! I am praying to god that my husband doesnt get stuck with doing a double shift today, because if he can come home at his regular time, which is normally around 2:30pm... here in about an hour... then Im headed out to get my vitamin B that I so desperately need! I just cant imagine taking three kids out to a store with me! When that happens, I have each one heading into a different direction of the store, and with only one of me, it can get crazy!

Anyways... I just wanted to let everyone know that for me, it makes a world of difference taking the vitamin b!

Wow, any other suppliments you've found that make a difference? Is just plain old vitamin B or vitamin B12 I always get cofused as when looking at the labels all of them promising to do this and that lol. Bit of a blond moment with me when I am shopping for vitamins.

I was told to get a Vitamin B-6. But then the nurse at the old neuro's office said even taking a Complex B vitamin would do the trick, so thats what I was taking. either should be fine though.

Do you have to take a high dose? I only got the normal ones you buy and never noticed any difference

I take 3000mgs of Keppra XR and 400mgs of Carbatrol, but with the Vitamin B's I was taking 1 Super Complex B Vitamin each morning. When I ran out, I didnt think much of it, and within a few days, I noticed a huge difference in my attitude with things. I was on edge lets say... not a good thing. I went out yesterday to get a bottle of the Vitamin B-6 and so far its been working! A total change than from what I was going through the past few days!

Yes, Im glad the B-6 is helping too! I took one yesterday and today... lets just say its back to being Normal Kristin, and not Bitchy Kristin! :roflmao::banana:

B vitamins

B vitamins are working wonders for me. They are all I have ever used to control my 'extremely rare' type of vitamin B6 'Dependent' (apparently not vitamin B6 deficient) Seizures - without which the chances are I would not be here today... due to severe Status Epilepticus and encephalopathy.

In patients with PDS, pyridoxine-deficiency is not present, and it is important to point out the distinction between pyridoxine-dependency and pyridoxine deficiency to parents, therapists, teachers and others providing care to these patients.

Taken from Page 3 of the following PDF file:​

If left untreated, people with this condition can develop severe brain dysfunction (encephalopathy), which can lead to death.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/pyridoxal-5-phosphate-dependent-epilepsy

If left untreated, people with this condition can develop severe brain dysfunction (encephalopathy).

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/pyridoxine-dependent-epilepsy

I have been prescribed vitamin B6 for over 42 years. My 'anti-epileptic' medication now consists of vitamin B6 and a multi B complex tablet only.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/40-years-vitamin-b6-11674/ (posted 02-20-2011)

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

I was told to get a Vitamin B-6. But then the nurse at the old neuro's office said even taking a Complex B vitamin would do the trick, so thats what I was taking. either should be fine though.

B6 is thiamine I think... nope that's B1...

one thing I've really come to like, although they're a bit expensive, but instead of a couple 12oz. cokes I'd recommend these
http://drinkneuro.com/
tumblr_lzzbcqzzwF1qhry5oo1_500.jpg

not only >no fructose corn syrup, but dosed with vitamins and minerals, and I love how they taste!
and these are usually high in B vitamins - B12 I know for sure, and the others vary

Hi guys I was reading this and Im on keppra 500mg and i started taking b12 1000mcg by nature made im hoping it helps ive had awful anxiety for the last month could be I havent had my car for 3 months my father messing around with it. So i havent left my house in that time I feel like im going loco . Ive noticed small things like i can take my lab for a walk without any freak outs and can walk her now 4 times a day . Usually nights are my weak point I get shaky and nervous . But soon after Im exhausted and sleep . My mother thinks I might be having my seizures in my sleep .

The Vitamins

Here are the names of the 13 true vitamins (common name in brackets):

Water Soluble Vitamins

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vitamin B7 (Biotin)
Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid)
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

Lipid (Fat) Soluble Vitamins

Vitamin A (Retinol)
Vitamin D (Calciferol)
Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
Vitamin K (Phylloquinone)

Some of the above vitamins can be further subdivided into their individual vitamers.
E.g. Common vitamers for Vitamin D (calciferol) are Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2) and Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

Last edited:
That's great news!!! That darn Keppra is painful!!! I just got off of it, finally after like 4 months of HELL!!! It has been 3 weeks now I believe since I got off of it and I feel a million times better!! My husband has noticed, family noticed too! They said omg what a difference. I am so much more cheerful and happy to be alive!!! I have energy and I love and enjoy things again!!! Whew, thank goodness! I also did start taking a B12 with my Phenytoin and I have my life back. I couldn't take the Keppra side effects and it put me in a dark hole. Great to hear that your vitamin supplement seems to help out that Kepprage!!! :)

Hi guys I was reading this and Im on keppra 500mg and i started taking b12 1000mcg by nature made

Hi Sunsia -- the vitamin that works to mitigate keppra-related moodiness and anxiety is B6 -- you might want to give that a try instead of, or in addition to the B12.

Hi Sunsia -- the vitamin that works to mitigate keppra-related moodiness and anxiety is B6 -- you might want to give that a try instead of, or in addition to the B12.

:agree: I picked me up a bottle of the B6 vitamins, and its worked great! Its a total change in me. I noticed it the first day I started taking it. :hugs:

Thank you <3

I defiantly will try the B6 with the B12 . And here my doctor told me keppra was the best epilepsy medication that reduces the chances of my child getting epilepsy . Thank you so much guys

take your Vitamin's

Andrew,

Thank you for the info on Vitamin B's.
I take a multi complex B Vitiman's along with B-12 biotin. all good:)
I think, there's more to what we put in our bodies. I've had a few spells over the last few mo's and I was thinking did I make any changes in my diet latley, I could only think of bananas. I stopped eating bananas for a while and didn't really notice anything in the begining. I guess it was 6mos with no bananas.
So anyway... I went back on bananas. and haven't had any spells.
Do you know if there is any relation to bananas and seizures ?
:banana:

B6 is thiamine I think... nope that's B1...

one thing I've really come to like, although they're a bit expensive, but instead of a couple 12oz. cokes I'd recommend these
http://drinkneuro.com/
tumblr_lzzbcqzzwF1qhry5oo1_500.jpg

not only >no fructose corn syrup, but dosed with vitamins and minerals, and I love how they taste!
and these are usually high in B vitamins - B12 I know for sure, and the others vary

I've seen those drinks and wondered if they were safe for people with epilepsy.. I thought about it for sleep issues and such related to Keppra..

Back
Top Bottom