I had another seizure driving yesterday

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was driving home from work yesterday and I had a moderate seizure while driving. Nobody got hurt including myself. I was going to stop but I noticed the curb I was driving next to was a red zone so I kept going. Work has been very stressful as it always is at the end of the summer and I know that didn't help. I had taken my medications (700 mg of Tegretol XR, 1500 mg of Keppra, and 50 mg of Topamax and even 250 mg of Magnesium Oxide) and they were supposed to be good for another 3 1/2 hours! I scraped the right front side of my car against a concrete wall and just found out it will cost $1800 to fix. I'm now convinced I have to go to the Mayo Clinic because I can't take any more drugs than I already am taking. I had started taking slightly less Magnesium lately because I was getting constant diarrhea. I was only taking 250 mg to 750 mg a day. I don't know if the diarrhea was from the Magnesium or the stress. Sorry for the TMI.

Last edited:
That really was sorry!

I was told the same thing if you take too much magnesium it can cause diarhea. Also depending on the last tim e you took your Tegregretol XR last it could have been a factor plus your stress level at work didn't help at all. Keep track of your Magnesium an Tegretol XR and see if you notice a difference!
David

I'm soo glad you didn't have a big accident! Hopefully the docs at the M.C. can help.

Really glad that you are ok. The car can be fixed.
If you want to continue getting the benefit of the magnesium, I personally would switch from oxide to ionic. When magnesium is in tablet form it is emptied into the intestinal tract. It has to be changed into an ionic form for the cell to absorb it. This might not take place before it is doing its job as a laxative.

Liquid Ionic Magnesium goes directly into the cell.

I hope this helps.

Awww,

I'm sorry to hear that, forward. What a bummer deal. I hope you can get things straightened out......I do hope the Mayo docs can help!:ponder:

what were u doing driving knowing your seizures weren't controlled?

That gives ppl who drive to drive and don't seize a bad name like my DH who's gone 36 yrs sz free.

Belinda

I think of everything so far, the inability to drive has been the worst. Especially as a 30 year old married father. It really takes away your independence, and makes you feel trapped. After sitting home all day, I even take pleasure from a short trip as long as its not the house.

what were u doing driving knowing your seizures weren't controlled?

That gives ppl who drive to drive and don't seize a bad name like my DH who's gone 36 yrs sz free.

Belinda

Actually my seizures were under control at the time. Sorry if the title was misleading. I had had a seizure while driving in October of 2007 and lost my license but got it back.

Glad you're okay forward. Personally, I'd just have stopped in the red zone, no matter what the consequences. I don't know how long your sz lasted for, but I'd rather pull over, switch off, and look busy knowing I'm not gonna drive into somebody/something else. Safety first huh ?

Still, like I said - glad you're okay bud

I was taking 1000mg magnesium tablets a day (4 x 250mg), and this made me a bit 'loose'....so I just reduced it by another 250mg, and take 2 in the morning and one in the evening - this I now feel is an okay dose for me with no issues on the toilet. Thought I'd share that with you all :roflmao:

I can't drive any more cause of my seizures. I don't miss driving. I use the bus to get to where I need to go. I also have my family and friends to take me where I need to go. Again I don't miss driving. I can ride the bus for free.

I choose not to drive also, and especially now after dropping passing out, whatever happened the other morning, I will not drive, although I did get my licence back as well. I have had to pull over many... times, because of simple partials, and it scares me, and I;m afraid I am a danger to myself and others, even though I dont lose conciousness. There were occassions I would drive when I felt really good, and it usually didnt happen then, but now with dropping dead to the floor the day without warning, I am no way going to drive.
I am glad you made it off the road and only damaged your car!
I know it sux getting used to life not driving, it limits you in many ways,
but my family takes me where I need to go, which is nice because I dont have to grocery shop alone anymore :) and I decided not to feel guilty, I
didnt choose this, it is a condition, and I am doing myself, them, and others a favor by staying off the roads, plus I do plenty in return to make up for all the "driving miss daisy." :)
Take care, and dont drive, its best for now.
Jlynn

Hey forward, I'm glad you're not seriously hurt and that you didn't completely total your car. I'm still sorry for the damage that happened anyways. I hope everything works out for you! :)

heyyyy,
GLad you wernt in any serious accident and are okay, ahh badnews, i hope you get it all sorted soon though :) i cant drive either, and i want to, just stay positive :) xx

Back
Top Bottom