I had an odd episode this morning...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
this morning, shortly after i woke up, i had what my school nurse believes to be an odd episode.

it started off like any normal morning, i felt totally fine when i woke up. i went to the kitchen, ate some oatmeal, and was walking around the house with my ipod, just getting all my stuff ready for school.

suddenly, i felt numb all over (like when your hand or foot falls asleep, that kind of feeling), my vision blurred a little (i could still see, but it was kind of fuzzy) i dropped my ipod on the floor accidentally and i started running up the hall involuntarily, i remember it and i could feel myself running, but i couldn't stop, it almost felt like i was a robot being controlled by someone else.
i felt completely normal a few minutes after the episode ended
i have no idea if this is seizure activity, or a side effect of lamictal, or even just something random.
has this happened to anyone else?

It's sounds much more like seizure activity then Lamictal side effect. (I've never experienced anything like that on Lamictal). Tingling, numbness, and automatic behaviors can be symptoms of simple/complex partial seizures.

I have to agree. That sounds like a breakthrough seizure--whether it's a simple or complex seizure, you need to let your doc know. Time for a check up.

I'll add a third yes to that - sounds like it could be a seizure and it's time to go see your doc.

I've had similar but not the same experience, where I felt and watched myself turn and walk across the yard, and couldn't stop myself. I was fully concious, but felt like I was in kind of a dream state. At the other end of the yard I just stopped, kinda woke up and said "huh?"

I'm editing to see if I can explain this better, which I didn't the first time. It's more like I couldn't try to stop myself, nor could that have even occurred to me. I was on autopilot. I was vaguely aware of what was happening, but using any of my free will just wasn't a possibility - again, autopilot. When I snapped out of it I was vaguely aware of what happened, and was rather confused by it all. I guess the big difference between this and my usual complex partial is that I was concious during it. It's the only time I've had that happen. Other times, unconcious and zero recall.

Last edited:
Running for no reason is known to happen with frontal lobe seizures. My partner experienced these in his youth, and later during panic attacks. So it sounds like a breakthrough seizure.

While i agree that it may be seizure related , the visual blurring is a bit disconcerting , and the "running about" symptom is frankly something i've never seen or heard of before. It's time to visit the neuro , and ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom