I have a black eye?! Help?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I had a seizure Sunday night and got a black eye, among other injuries. This is the first time I've injured myself during a grand mal seizure, and unfortunately it happened at work. I work in a warehouse with grated floors that are slightly spiked to prevent workers from slipping. So that's also unfortunate.

I felt a seizure coming on but I didn't think it would turn into a TC; it seemed to be going away, so I didn't sit down like I usually do. The result was that I literally fell flat on my face from a standing position onto the grated floor.

My face was cut up and bleeding. I even had to go to urgent care and get stitches inside my mouth. The pain didn't end up being too bad in my mouth and the stitches are dissolvable but it still sucks.

im literally terrified of going into work tomorrow with a black eye. I know it sounds vain but that was almost the worst part. I literally look awful.
so I was wondering if any of you guys have ever dealt with injuries like this and what did you do? Is there any way to make it less noticeable? Would you wear an eye patch? Makeup? Or just wear it loud and proud? Also a few people know but not everyone. Do you guys think I should just tell EVERYONE? Or just people who ask? Or make up some story for people I don't know very well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I feel so sorry for you this had to happen at work. I would tell people honestly what happened. People might think otherwise about how you got the black eye and the real reason is nothing to be ashamed of. I think it's better when colleagues do know you've got epilepsy so they'll know what is happening whenever you're having a seizure at work. Instructing them how to handle prevents you'll end up on the ER unnecessary, it's the most safe thing to do for yourself and helps other people not to get too worried or scared.

I agree with Dutchmom. You need to tell your co-workers about your black eye and how you you got it. You have epilepsy, a medical condition, nothing to be ashamed of. Others need to know in case you have another seizure at work so they will know what they can do to help and not freak out if/when they see a seizure. I was severely burned when I had my first TC seizure, now the burn scars are with me for life.

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/seizure-first-aid

:agree:

The more matter-of-fact you can be about it the better -- it can help set the tone for how your colleagues react to it and any future injuries (even ones not related to E!).

I hope you recover quickly and have a quiet new year.

Back
Top Bottom