I have a Question about Topamax...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bee91

New
Reaction score
I've been on Topamax twice now. Both for seizures and headaches. And each time I've been on it, I have been doing very strange things. The thing I am most worried about is running. All of a sudden, I will jump out of my seat and sprint down the hallway at school or where ever I am.This has happened to me 3 times now. I dont think they are seizures since they are only happening while I am on Topamax. Has anyone else expirienced this while on 'the Max'?

My Use of it

I was on it and when I started taking more of it my legs started to get very num. So my doctor changed my drug level and eventually got me on another drug.

Nope, can't say I have ever had anything like that happen. I've been on it for about 2 years now, although a very little amount. Only 100mg a day. It does sound like seizures to me, but it could be Topamax induced seizures. Some AED have caused me to have funny kinds, or diffrent kinds of seizures, do you think this could be happening with the Topamax?

I dont know...I thought about it but I am somewhat aware of what I am doing...I have sudden urges to run and most of the time the urges get the most of me and I end up "running like a gazelle" down the hallway..I never really remember what is happening...it is all a blur...I told my doctor about this and he didnt seem to worried about it though...But I must admit, I worry about it because I know now that some kids think Im a creep :eek:

Uh, I'm on topamax right now and I didn't want to run before I was on it, and I don't want to run any more now, lol. I'm not sure if Topamax would be causing that or not. But then again, these meds are so messed up, I wouldn't be surprised if we found out tomorrow that a new side effect is ingrown horse hooves coming out of your knees that spray orange juice every time you blink.

I'm on Topamax 100mg 2x a day, and although I don't have the urge to get up and run around my legs and feet stay numb probably 70% of the time. The doctor said its a side effect I'll just have to deal with but it's not controlling my seizures any better. I cannot wait for the new insurance in January. He is not covered :)

That's interesting, I never had the rush to physically run while on Topamax. Topamax and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it because it I can avoid a seizure/convulsion within ten minutes after I take it but I hate it because of who I become after taking it. I feel like wearing a shirt, “Please don’t ask me any questions today, I’m on Topamax.” My staff can tell immediately when I’m on it if they come my office to ask a question; they ask me what time I took it said they’ll check back in a few hours. They have also closed my door and said we’ll tell everyone you’re in a meeting. We have worked together for eleven years now, so they are very familiar with the E and we get along great. I totally can relate to what everyone says about the odd side effects Topamax.

same with me...Its the best when it comes to stopping seizures and headaches...but I am so stupid on it. And now Im on Clonazepam also so I dont run out of classrooms and it helps seizures...(doesnt help either) Someone asked me how old I was....I couldnt answer them...crazy.

Hi Bee91,

I was looking a thread on complex partials it said there
are five types of automatisms with complex partials:

* Alimentary: chewing, increased salivation, borborygmi (rumbling noises caused by gas in the intestines)
* Mimetic: facial expressions of fear, bewilderment, discomfort, tranquility, laughter, crying
* Gestural: repetitive movements of the hands, fingers, sexual gestures
* Ambulatory: wandering, running
* Verbal: repeated short phrases or swearing

When I saw running, I remembered your Topamax question. Don't you have complex partials?

I've been on Topamax twice now. Both for seizures and headaches. And each time I've been on it, I have been doing very strange things. The thing I am most worried about is running. All of a sudden, I will jump out of my seat and sprint down the hallway at school or where ever I am.This has happened to me 3 times now. I dont think they are seizures since they are only happening while I am on Topamax. Has anyone else expirienced this while on 'the Max'?

I am on Topomax and have not had a problem. I think it varies with different people. Or Maybe the other medications you are also taking counteract the Topomax. It's verys trong and it's been proven effective.

no..this was before I was on any other meds...the other meds actually help me be able to take the Topamax.. :)

I thought of it as boosts of energy. I just got off of it. But I am having major headaches. So who knows . And they gave me really bad leg cramps. I don't get those anymore.

No can't say i had that happen to me. I took it for 4 months and it messed me up. I lost over 20lbs, lost my appetite,very lethargic,and couldn't concentrate! I feel so much better now that i'm not taking it anymore!

Back
Top Bottom