I know this maybe a silly question....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Claire7

Pillar
Reaction score
I know this maybe a silly question but thought I would ask anyway! I am on 200mg of lamotrigine a day. I was taking the actavis brand which I was fine on. In December the pharmacy had run out of that brand and put me on Lamictal. My GP assured me there was no difference. I then started to get a really upset stomach every morning even to the point of me starting to loose weight.
After taking Lamictal for 4 months I switched back to the other brand and sure enough the symptoms stopped!
Now the pharmacy is telling me that they can no longer get the actavis brand in the 100mg tablets I have been taking but have got the 50mg. They have given me those and so obviously I will take 2 twice a day.
I did ask the pharmacist if this will be the same as taking the 100mg in the way that it is absorbed and to be honest I didn't really understand his answer (he is foreign!) He did give me a long speech about why it could be different but I don't know exactly what he said!!!

Anyway, so my question is does anyone think there will be any differences to the way it works because it is the same brand just a different way of taking the dose? I'm just really nervous about changing what I know because of my experience with Lamictal. One positive is that the 50mg are tiny compared to the 100mg which I am sure will be easier to take! :ponder:

Claire7

There is no such thing as a silly question and the answer to your question, you should have no problem.

Agree with fedup, you should be fine, particularly because Lamictal has a long half-life (which means you don't have to worry about slight differences in pills in terms of absorption rates). What a pain about having to switch between brand and generic -- it was probably some sort of filler in the pill that was messing with your stomach.

Back
Top Bottom