i need more info...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lahacade

New
Reaction score
I was it was recently suggested (by a fellow epi patient) that maybe my 4 year old's seizure did not really go away, but have changed in the way that they present themselves. How could this be? They mentioned 'rage' seizures? and seizures that will look like he is day-dreaming? What can these seizures (that do not involve shaking) look like? I'm just so confused.
-I posted my whole story in "the foyer", under "my son has 'episodes'"- for those who do not yet know me and my sons' stories.
Thank you for all your help!!!

Yes. Seizures can change over a period of time. I can tell you this by experience. Mine have changed so much since I started having seizures to now.

As for the day dreaming seizures. Yes there is such thing. They are called absence seizures or petit mal seizures. The day-dream look is their trademark. But eye fluttering, or other small movements may also happen during the episodes...

Hope this helps :)
Brandi

Please read the thread epilepsy 101 to help you understand and recognize the other forms of epilepsy. I myself have the classic shaking/jerking seizures (tonic-clonics) that most people think of when hearing about epilepsy.

However, many many more forms exist as you will see when reading through these forums.

I have read many accounts of epilepsy changing over the years.

If you know what to look for, you can, as an observer, be cognizant of absence seizures. It took me a while after meeting my wife to start recognizing her absence seizures, but once I understood what they were, I became hyper aware of them.

You should ask your son about sensory hallucinations - smelling things that aren't there (burning smells usually), strange taste sensations (metallic usually), seeing colors/bright spots at odd times, tingling sensations, etc. These types of simple partial seizures (aka auras) are not something you will be able to observe and your son may not consider them abnormal because he doesn't know any better.

An EEG can sometimes pick up on epileptiform activity occurring in the brain that would indicate simple partial seizure activity, but a clear EEG can't rule them out.

Back
Top Bottom