I need some advice.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JoJo1217

New
Reaction score
I've had Epilepsy for over 11 years...I've taken 300mg of Carbatrol/3x a day for about 8 year now. I've been stable with my meds. The problem is that almost 3 times a week I get a brain freeze..I can't read or communicate my words even though I can think the words in my head. I also get a really bad headaches and need to be alone for a while...has anyone ever experience that? It very difficult to explain.

thanks!

JoJo1217

I think I know what you mean, the headaches I get are mainly in the morning and last a few hours, but I cannot take anything on to of my medication for it. Like yesterday it can become a migraine and that, I do not want to think about. Its not so much getting the words out as forgetting the word, I would know what I want to say, but when I go to say it, one word would be missing, eg if I went to ask you "what are you driving" I would probable forget the driving and wind up trying to think of the word even though I know what I wanted to say. I think it could be the medication, or maybe not?

Hi JoJo,

I take 600mgs of Carbatrol a day, and I have brain freezes every now and then. Just like you, I know the word in my head, but can't get it out. It used to frustrate me a lot, but now I find if I just let it go, then the words come back faster. Good Luck!

Can anyone tell me if mixing keppra and lamotragene have any side effects as I've just been put on keppra thanks all

lureswinger

Yes at lest for me. I am on Lamictal and was put on keppra as well, not good.

Oh well the neurologist also suggested something else but said if epilim was giving me sideeffects of moodyness this other stuff will bring it back but much worse so I told him to shove that idea as my family went through enough of me arguing that black was white when I was on epilim and now I've changed to lamotragene I feed like a totally different person that can agree with people and calm down I don't want to go back there I suppose if I still lived on my own I wouldn't care about it but not now I have a wife and kids to get on with lol

If u say not good about the mixture can u tell me why its not good please as I'm only learning about this stuff thanks graham

I get the distinct feeling I'm gonna have to tell the neurologist to stuff this kepra as I've only been on minimum dose for 2 days and I feel like an extra out of the film "The Living Dead" yesterday I was doing my job " talking birdies" to the public , but I spent most of the blooming day yawning and appologising to ppl that I wasn't getting bored of them it was just a new drug I was trying out

I have the distint feeling that I now know what I was going through between the ages of 12 and 18 when I was first diagnosed and put on a high dose of valium and today I have had to get up at 4 am as I have to travel to Hull to go and do a birdy demo out there

lureswinger

I found the lamictal was not bad, one or two side effects but nothing I could not live with. But when the keppra was add, Like you said about black and white, the anger and rage I had went through the roof, balance was, well limited, headaches everyday, bad nights sleep. These were just some of what the keppra did to me. When I came off the keppra I was a different person. But that is only me, everybody has to go through this and figure out what suits us. You cannot just go on what I say.

I'm not taking advice off just one person but every bit of info is a help so that if I get side effects I know what to expect I'm not out to hold anyone an sayt but u told me this an it was worse or it didn't happen to me

lureswinger

I know your not taking advice of one person, I just want to make sure you understand what happens to me may not happen to you, it may be the lamictal you have a problem with, as for me I am against keppra totally, I went to my neuro appointment once and I meet a lady on it, she was from the other end of the country and I did not know her, she was on it with much the same reaction as me, so you see I against it totally even though it works for some.

Back
Top Bottom