i want to spend my money!!!!! help meeee...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

costis

New
Reaction score
I can afford to move to any part of the world and go to any medical center or doctor it may needs! if it was u, what would you do? here, in greece, doctors and medecine, in general, are not good..

so my problem is that i can pay well but i..don't know where to give my money:ponder:!!!

chicago med center is that good as i have heard? u think i could be helped there?
any other suggestions? i mean...anything u can imagine!

There are MANY possibilities of course...

...I would just add that the highest price tag doesn't always mean the best treatment!

Look for patients who have undergone what you NEED to undergoe! Their feedback (IMHO) would be better than anything else I could find since they went through it! If you don't know what you 'have' exactly yet, I would see a few doctors to get a few opinions.

You might get lucky and find something much less expensive than you originally thought in the first place as well!

Good Luck!
:rock:

Both of the suggestions that
SP and Bernard have given are
very good - other possibilities are:

John Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic,
both in United States that have
superior Epilepsy & Neurology Center.

wait, wait!!!

don't u think mayo clinic, minnesota is even better... it's not much time since i have begun investigating the case "epilepsy, i haven't told my last word...yet" and i've been told that the #1 neuro clinic is mayo! what do u think?

PS to tell something...non-epileptic, in greek "mayo" means "bathing dress" lol!!!

wait, wait!!!

don't u think mayo clinic, minnesota is even better... it's not much time since i have begun investigating the case "epilepsy, i haven't told my last word...yet" and i've been told that the #1 neuro clinic is mayo! what do u think?

PS to tell something...non-epileptic, in greek "mayo" means "bathing dress" lol!!!

MAYO here is a slang for
Mayonnaise!

The white stuff that we slap
on the sandwiches!

;) :roflmao: :paperbag:

But we also have a
excellent MAYO CLINIC in
Jacksonville, Florida!

PS: Costis, maybe I should tell
you that just a few miles NORTH
of me, is Tarpon Springs, Florida;
Greece's Sister City ...

:)

Click on the Points of Interest Below
and see! :)

history-title.gif

Tarpon Springs was incorporated as a city in 1887. The community first settled there in 1882. The city is named for the tarpon, a fish that is found in abundance off the coast. Many Greek immigrants came here after 1905 to continue their traditional trade of sponge diving. The Epiphany ceremony, an old Greek Orthodox rite, is a colorful event that is held on January 6th. Tarpon Springs is a part of Pinellas County, which is located in west-central Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico.

Population 20,000
Incorporated 1887
Area of City 4900 acres
Miles of Waterfront 51
Number of Households 7398
Median Age 42
Average Temperature 72.8
Annual Rainfall 54.27

Last edited:
The Mayo Clinic in Minnesota is good. My sister-in-law went to med school there.

Click on above image for the Mayo Clinic
Research Center in Jacksonville,
Florida.

Click on image above for the Mayo
Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida

======================

MAYO CLINIC NEWS

Mayo Clinic continues to examine neurostimulator device for epilepsy

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Neurologists at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are enrolling patients with epilepsy in the next phase of a clinical research trial to further determine the safety and efficacy of a surgically implanted device that detects seizure activity in the brain and may suppress seizures before they start.

The device, called a responsive neurotransmitter (RNS), acts like a pacemaker for the brain. It may be implanted in some patients with frequent, disabling seizures who have failed treatment with at least two anti-epileptic medications. A treatment team works with patients who wish to be part of this research trial, called the RNS System Pivotal Clinical Investigation, to determine eligibility.

A Mayo Clinic neurosurgeon implants the self-contained device, not much bigger than a watch, under the scalp of eligible patients. The neurosurgeon then connects the responsive neurostimulator to wires placed in the region or regions of the brain where seizure activity occurs. The neurostimulator constantly monitors the brain's electrical activity for onset of seizure activity. When seizure activity is detected, the neurostimulator delivers mild electrical stimulation through the wires in an attempt to stop the seizure before the patient experiences symptoms.

Dr. Jerry Shih, Director of the Comprehensive Epilepsy Clinic at Mayo is one of trial's co-principal investigators. "The RNS concept is a potentially revolutionary step in the treatment of epilepsy," Shih says. "Whereas previous treatments with medications or vagus nerve stimulation alter the brain environment so that it is harder for seizures to begin, the RNS is the first potential epilepsy treatment to detect and abort seizures before the abnormal electrical activity can spread to other brain regions."

The Mayo treatment team will follow participants for at least two years after the device is implanted. Each month the team will assess the patient's seizure type and frequency and regularly asses each patient's physical and emotional health.

RNS is still considered an investigational treatment. Some patients may experience adverse reactions to the device, some may not experience fewer seizures and, as with any surgical procedure, there are associated risks.

Epilepsy is a chronic disorder of the brain that causes recurrent seizures and affects nearly 3 million people in the United States. Anti-epileptic medication can leave most patients free from seizures or lessen their frequency and intensity. Those who do not respond to medications may be candidates for surgical removal of the brain tissue responsible for triggering the seizure. In most cases, these patients still require medication to control seizures. The neurostimulator would eliminate the need to remove brain tissue from these patients.

This trial is sponsored by NeuroPace, Inc. Mayo Clinic Jacksonville researchers and patients participated in the previous phase of this trial. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville is one of about 28 medical centers conducting this next phase.

Those interested in participating will need to undergo a comprehensive Mayo Clinic epilepsy evaluation before being considered as a candidate for this study. For an appointment, call (904) 953-6847.

# # #

To obtain the latest news releases from Mayo Clinic, go to www.mayoclinic.org/news2007-jax. MayoClinic.com (www.mayoclinic.com) is available as a resource for your health stories.

###

To obtain the latest news releases from Mayo Clinic, go to www.mayoclinic.org/news. MayoClinic.com is available as a resource for your health stories.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom