Idiot in my office, fake seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm new here and want to be supportive but I don't understand why that upsets you. Are you ashamed of being epileptic? I have grand mal and have had them everywhere. If someone in my office was practicing their grand mal I would tell them they've got to work on it, they've got to chew that tongue, move those limbs, try a little tremor. I believe being uptight about about it creates stigma. It makes that E word that no one wants to talk about.

If I overheard somebody mocking seizures, I would fake my own as a joke. It does not embarass me. But it does some people. I have had grand mals everywhere to. Including performing on the stage.lol But I think we get used to it in time. I'm so glad you don't get embarrassed. Teresa

Brilliant!Thats great!:clap::banana:
Hope he is suffering some guilt and realises what he has done, he might even work out he is a D***H***.
images

I would have made the list LONGER where he wouldn't
have touched it with a 10 foot pole and included the
booklets and pamphlets on Epilepsy, including reminder
that November is Epilepsy Awareness Month, with all the
"events", and including cards to "Neurologists / Epiletologists"
as well as Level 4 Epilepsy Centers & Clinics - and a heck
a lot more - and pull out the entire FIREWORKS into it,
and .... even more - including the laws that were just
recently passed that enabled the people with Epilepsy
to FINALLY be able to work and do certain things that
they weren't able to do ...

AND OH YEAH -- the State Driving Laws - all printed out,
and .. I know I'm missing out something here...

:ponder:

Oh yeah, SUDEP, all the side effects of
AEDS, and gee whiz, throw in everything as
possible and give him awake up call to REALITY!

That would have blown his mind ... and possibility
come to realization what Epilepsy REALLY is - and
who knows, he may actually read all of this stuff
and LEARN ... and maybe even become an advocate
instead of a twerp!

Idiot in My office, You may have here too

When I looked at my e-mail today saw there was a reply I thought about what I had posted, assumed the response was negative and began writing an apology. I'm going to post the apology because I have a feeling there are people out there offended by what I wrote and if nothing else the moderator might appreciate it.

I'm very sorry to anyone whom I upset by expressing my position in such a harsh manner. It was late at night and I clearly did not consider it before posting it. I am particularly ashamed of myself because it was a lesson I learned years ago.
Working with a volunteer support group in its formative years (before everything was done online) I created a T-shirt in an attempt to expand our membership and raise a little money for expenses. The T-shirt read, inside an outline of the state, if it "FITS" it must be epileptic with the name of the organization below it. The board loved it except for one woman, a nurse supervisor, new to the board whom I had never met. She explained the impact it would have on newly diagnosed people, the parent's of children, and anyone who did not share my sarcastic attitude. I didn't argue her point and didn't have to think about it before promising her I would not have any shirts made and I would never wear it. I wish I had thought about it last night. Again my only excuse is that I was tired and not thinking.

Sincerely Sorry

Kevin

Last edited:
Um, Kevin

We all have our days. Apology accepted.......though I don't know if it was necessary. Personally, I wasn't offended.

I do find the T-shirt story interesting though. "FITS"? Hmmmmm. :noevil: I would have liked to have seen that one personally.......

Take care. Your day WILL get better.

Meetz
:rock:

LOL...don't worry about it Kevin. :) I have to admit, I had the same reaction as your first post....but I also stopped to think about how the office worker in question was being rude and insensitive. Whereas I might respond with a joke, others might take offense. To me, CM had the perfect reply....and it just might cause the fellow office worker to actually stop and think about what he says and how he says it from now on....

Hiya Kevin

I was then about to respond to your previous message, but then you came in with the apology, BUT everyone has the right to their own point of view/opinion, if you have a different way of handling things then cool :eek:)

Just a short explanation for you on the 'idiot' situation, I think that it is good to educate the people that need educating, how are they going to learn otherwise, if it is a short, sharp lesson then so be it. Though I almost have to commend him for knowing what petit mal is, once he received his letter, he then spent the time to explain petit mal to the office, so through my letter 15 more people are more epilepsy aware. It is not a case of being embarrassed by E, its a case of people should not take the pee out of disibilities, they could happen to anyone, they are not so funny then.

I hope that helps you to understand my point of view, I have a crazeeee sense of humour, people in my workplace don't know I have E so I couldn't use it, but sometimes you can't just sit back and do nothing.

Last edited:
Brain BTW

I would have loved to go the whole hog and hit him with every booklet, leaflet web address etc , but, I was at work and unfortunately due to a lack of time and privacy couldn't get too much info or details together, so I just done what I did because it was the quick option, its a pity I didn't have more time due to the fact that the 'idiot' educated the whole office on petit mal, if he had more info at his fingertips you can imagine how clued up the whole of the office staff would be by now.

Maybe we should start a list of restrictions which we can pass onto office idiots, as I am sure we will all encounter more of them at some point.

Last edited:
What a great way to educate this person and to have your boss do this with you was awesome. I had one of the supervisors from another location come for a meeting one day and when I greeted him with "How are you/" He proceeded to tell me that he was frustrated being stuck behind people driving like "retarded epileptics". I immediately told him that I did not appreciate that comment. I told him that my daughter died from a seizure and my granddaughter has Epilepsy. He just shrugged me off and continued to his meeting. If he ever makes a comment like this again, I will have a talk with his boss and maybe give his boss some pamphlets about epilepsy to pass on. Some people are just jerks no matter what.

OMG what a thing to say "driving like retarded epileptics" I have never heard that expression before, that must have infuriated you especially after what epilepsy has put you and your family through. I can't believe he didn't even offer an apology. What a prize JERK

Here's a list and read it closely!

Want to hear the list of things people have
said to me about my Epilepsy, and even in
front of my son?

• [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED
    [*] CENSORED

I could go on and on, but you get the idea, as
you can see - it's not WORTH repeating! It's even
caused my own son, he even has neurological and
sporadic epilepsy episodes himself too, and it really
ticks him off.

:mad:

As I've stated, "I've always wondered about some
people ... Some people are just some people are
just some people ...."

And you

didn't string him up by his TOENAILS????? PLEASEEEEE.......I would have, IN A HEARTBEAT. What a TURKEY.

Crazy - That has to be THEE BEST response I have ever heard.:clap::clap::clap:

WOW - You put him in his place and educated the whole office at the same time!!! I think you deserve a reward for that one.

And your boss has really came around for you. What a great support to have at work.

Actually it just breaks my heart.

Ignorance is lack of education.

Both of you have stated it perfectly!
Ignorance is NOT always bliss, it can
be downright DANGEROUS
!

Consider the fact if a stranger were
to have a seizure in a very dangerous
area and yet, not one person having
any knowledge or education - or the
worse possible thing; people under the
dangerous modes and methods of how
to react to such (endangering the person
and possibility themselves) during the
seizure! I can only shudder - it's not just
sad ----> but SCARY TOO!

That's the truth. That is one reason I am constantly trying to educate our schools. They are seizures. But there is much more to having a seizure then just falling down and shaking.Regression, sometimes there is delay in some of these children. Behavior, friendships. Even as a grown-up we face these issues because of lack of education. It saddens me for my son, unknown deaths, but Alex's love makes me fight. I have been through it so I can see through his eyes a little. But yet I have never seen my mother in a coma from the same thing that I had. Can you imagine. Educate please. I love you all. Teresa

Tinasmom... you are a much better person than I. A comment to me like that would have angered me so much that he would NOT have shrugged me off, but went slinking away with his proverbial tail between his legs. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom