Idiot in my office, fake seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Me too!!!.....

:agree: We have to educate the public.

I have had many seizures (CP & TC) in the public, also, and at times it does bother me to hear others make condescending remarks about epilepsy. But I don't have any problems telling others about my situation and educating them on the do's & don'ts about seizures. When my children were in elementary school, I would go to the school and talk to the class about epilepsy, mainly for my children's sake.

So many out there think it possibly could NOT happen to them, but if and when it does, then it's poor, pitiful me! oh.. poor baby....:(
WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!!!

Cindy

I probably would have laughed. It's good to have a sense of humor, and I laugh all the time at the things I do when I having a seizure.

I understand what you're saying about the sense of humor issue.
I joke about my seizures all the time.
But I DO NOT joke about anyone else who has seizures.
Nor do I tolerate people joking about my seizures. Unless, your my friend. :) Then I don't mind as much...

It's kind of like having a little brother. ;)
You make fun of him, but you don't make fun of your friend's bro, and if anyone makes fun of your brother, you get bothered by it...

That's how I see it, anyway...:)

Last edited:
Well, I'm not a really touchy person. For myself. But if somebody makes fun of my boy. That's different. He has a sense of humor with me about it but he does not like somebody else making fun of me. He is ten and already saying "it's only a seizure."YOu know. Don't freak out kind of thing.

Tina's mom , You know what? There are a lot of times I have gone to my room and cried after the remarks other kids or adults have said to me about my son. I have had my say.I am not crude but if somebody has an opinion and that's what it is. They will get some education. I am proud of who you are. Be true to yourself.

Both of you have stated it perfectly!
Ignorance is NOT always bliss, it can
be downright DANGEROUS
!

Consider the fact if a stranger were
to have a seizure in a very dangerous
area and yet, not one person having
any knowledge or education - or the
worse possible thing; people under the
dangerous modes and methods of how
to react to such (endangering the person
and possibility themselves) during the
seizure! I can only shudder - it's not just
sad ----> but SCARY TOO!

Thanks, Sharon and everyone else. This whole thread and the replies prompted me to write a poem:

If ignorance is Bliss,
Why do so many choose to miss,
Ignore or disregard learning,
When many in the world are yearning?

Yearning for a cure to my affliction,
Not a drug or alcohol addicition.
A condition you can't always see,
But when you do, I may look crazy.

I may stare or chew, or even fall and quake,
It's a seizure and my life could be at stake.
But only when the right knowledge is in place,
Then I know I am always safe.

So why ignore us today,
When today may never be a yesterday?
Not one can know it all,
Ignorance is Bliss, so the say.

Cindy

Cindy -

That poem is awesome. Can I print your poem to use for education? Can I also post it on my My Space, You Tube and Facebook? This poem would be great for me to use when I go to the school board again. Maybe this would help them to understand why we need the entire school district trained.

Sure you can post it, but please use my name and face.

Education is what the world needs!

Cindy -
the Poem is absolutely WONDERFUL!
:e::e::e:
:e::e:

Very nice poem Cindy. I especially like the line "when today may never be a yesterday."
So very true. Thank you for sharing. :)

-Julie

Hey Crazy Monkey

I go swimming. Maybe I will drown one day, but I enjoy it. I was sitting on the patio when I had a seizure. A neighbor was nice enough to take me home.

I have partial complex and grand mal seizures and come from a large family. Six of my sisters are nurses and my mom was (I was, yet can no longer work as a nurse). One of my sisters who is a nurse, keeps telling all who will listen that I do not have e. because I do not lose bladder control. She wonders why I don't want to hang out. Duh, what if I have a "fake" seizure?

Last edited:
Kind of reminds me of the blind comments I get. "How do you do your music if you can't hear or see well?" I say "I use my hearing aids/adaptive equipment and all of my equipment of Brailled." They say "Oh, I thought you sat on a big amp speaker and imagined everything without enjoying it." Wow- kinda silly when most musicians with impairments figure things out- the best way that works for them.
"How do you know your way around the piano? How can you play if you can't see it?" I say "You don't have to see the keys to be able to play."
Sometimes they ask how I'm able to travel without seeing- but now I have my guide dog so many people don't really ask anymore. Oh and I love this one: "You need to be healed- you are blind and hearing impaired for a reason- you were the devil in a past life." This is coming from a student at my college who was a member of the Baptist Student Union. I was so mad I went and talked to the main person there about it.

There are just ignorant people in the world and most don't know what its like until they experience it for themselves or know someone how is impaired or has a disability. Then they take it seriously.

Some people are 'special'...

Take care everyone :)
Crystal

Crystal & Srab & everybody who have had people say mean stuff to them - there are plenty more of us in here and everywhere else that understand and love you. It provides strength and fuel to go the distance.

And good for you for sticking up for yourself, and for educating those around you! It takes incredible strength and clarity of purpose to stop, take a deep breath, stand tall, and correct the person or situation. Bravo!

Hi, I love your poem Cindy. You always write beautiful poems.

I also have diabetes, so I joined a forum. Someone started the topic, FAKE MEMBERS.I was ignorant to think that they were talking about spammars. I was wrong. They were talking about people in the forum who were faking diabetes. Everyone was getting suspicious of each other, so I joined another forum.

Who would want to fake epilepsy or diabetes or any other illness? I quess there are some, but I think they are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom