Idiot in my office, fake seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Do you know that my first neurologist hinted at a similar thing...since I did not lose control of my bodily functions all of the time or froth at the mouth I was not having a seizure? If I remember correctly, I think he said that to my husband after i had a siezure in his office. It was one of the 1st things I asked my 2nd neuro about. He told me that not everyone loses control and explained that there were more types of seizures than were probably known about...that even my stutter, while uncommon wasn't unknown.

I'd have to ask the same question too...who would WANT to fake E? Who would want to take the meds and deal the side-effects? Pay the insane medical bils with/without insurance? Have their lives turned topsy-turvy? that is just crazy!

Wow, I know that this happened so long ago, but that would have had me in a tail spin!!! ARGH

And I have never heard that definition. "if you dont lose bodily functions, then you dont have E"

I have never peed my pants. Ever. as soon as I was potty trained, I never wet my bed, or had an accident. Even my mum just had one not too recently where she just really had to go, and got inside the house, and about half way down the hall when it couldnt wait anymore

SO I have luckily never had that aspect of seizures. But I have vomitted, drooled, snotted, bled etc all over the place so I'm happy to leave the pee in the bathroom.

Be glad! I have lost control once in public and to be frank I can not think of any experiance related to my E that was more humiliating. Trying to return home was a nightmare. My MD has never stated that it was odd that I did not loss control with every occurance. I did ask after that one time, he said that each case is different and it was not unusual that I leaked instead of lost total control. He reminded me that all my muscles contract so that if I had anything in the pipes that would likely be forced out and the remaining liquid often gets locked in. I am paraphasing but the core of the discussion is the same.

I think the problem I had with my 1st neuro is that 1) E was not his specialty...MS, Fibro and Dystonia were 2) He was primarily educated outside of the US...the only US medical education he had was what was required to get a license to practice. 3) He was the professional, I was ignorant. I tried to educate myself about seizures but since he said I was making them up I just wnet with the dystonia thing and to the shrink and tried to get rid of the stutter.

:agree: We have to educate the public.

I have had many seizures (CP & TC) in the public, also, and at times it does bother me to hear others make condescending remarks about epilepsy. But I don't have any problems telling others about my situation and educating them on the do's & don'ts about seizures. When my children were in elementary school, I would go to the school and talk to the class about epilepsy, mainly for my children's sake.

So many out there think it possibly could NOT happen to them, but if and when it does, then it's poor, pitiful me! oh.. poor baby....:(
WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!!!

Cindy

last seizure I had in public, I came to and someone had there cell phone out and was telling me to do it again, he wanted it on video.

I did say that I have a large family. I think 1 sibling out of 7 that acts like that is not doing too bad. (does hurt, we all know that it does, oh, and she is a nurse).
I did talk to my Dr. and I was a nurse so I know that it is garbage.
I have 1 sister that wants me to call after every seizure and she will come anytime, and she will take me to all Dr. appts. So 1 sister that acts like a well, anyway, I do have others who love me.
Hey, I think I just made myself feel better!

Hey, Ruth. I'm sorry you have diabetes. It adds another layer of complexity to your already probably complicated health-cake.

Per fakers. See the thread on Munchausen by Internet. I think there are a few slightly unbalanced people out there, unfortunately. Most people are really great though, so who cares. I focus on the good people, ignore the rest.

My last spell of seizures, I ended up in the hospital. But the sense of humor thing is something that helps me get through the day sometimes. I remember telling the EMT when he asked if these were any different, that he could laugh because what I was about to say was actually funny. I told him that for a while earlier that day, that every time I came out of one, I thought I was the HULK! I had to laugh, if only to keep myself from crying from having seizures non stop for 4 days straight! Some people are cruel, but I just try to remember that what goes around comes around. Good luck.

Lissa8506,
You say what goes around comes around? Dang, my sister is really going to need me as a friend soon. Yeah, I will be there, but I don't wish that on my family.
Ok, really I know you all are right. Sometimes my humor comes off as sarcasm, and that is how I deal. Hey, don't judge me, I've read some of these post!

I'm not judging anyone. I completely understand about using humor to get through things. I do the same. It sometimes gets me into a little bit of trouble. I know it definitely did when I was younger and living at home. I wish only the best for anyone and everyone! I've lost a couple jobs because I kept winding up in the hospital and my boss' would say I was undependable. I'm not worried. Everyone will have to deal with what they do or say one day. All in due time. It's good that you're there for your sister. I don't really have that. She's lucky to have you. Take care. Sorry if I offended you in any way. It was not my intent! Have a blessed day!

Oh no, I'm not upset at all. I am not offended either.Sometimes my sarcam is too strong.
I am sorry if I hurt anyone with what I said.

Just when I thought I had heard it all.

Today at work I was minding my own business and knuckling down to some computer tasks, I work in a large open office with about 15 others and I can't help but overhear other peoples conversations, one of the girls in the office made a comment to our planning assistant that he had been miles away this morning staring into space and his reply was that he was practicing his petit mal (he doesn't have epilepsy), not everyone in the office knew what petit mal was, but the ones that did know, laughed, isn't he a real comedian???(sarcasm and heaps of it) what an ass.

I couldn't believe what I had just heard, my head swung around so quick I am surprised I didn't give myself whiplash, only my boss knows about my E, we both gave each other the same look of disbelief. I have been stewing about this all day, unable to put him right as I don't want the office to know about my seizures, but I know I would really enjoy humiliating him after that comment.

He drives a soft top car, I wonder if he would like to practice giving that up??

Smart ass comments like that really annoy me, how myself and my boss kept our cool I will never know.
when I had my second one in school after spring break in 7th grade everyone was talking about me since I had to get driven by ambulance It was the "hottest thing" people would say "hey are you that girl who had that seizure?" I didnt know how to respond They would ask soo many questions mostly the comon ones like Do you know when you have it before it happens? what happens when you have one? do you remember? they just dont know exactly what epilepsy is so they just decide to make jokes about it which is a very wrong thing to do just stand up for yourself and youll be the bigger person in the end :)
gabbyg2000

That makes me so ill inside I don't even have a good response right now. Boy if I would have been there I would have though.I had one on stage when I was in like 9th grade and everyone thought I died. I just want to scream some times at ignorance. But this person must have no life at all if that is all they can think of to do for the day.God help them.Sorry that happen to you. Teresa

That makes me so ill inside I don't even have a good response right now. Boy if I would have been there I would have though.I had one on stage when I was in like 9th grade and everyone thought I died. I just want to scream some times at ignorance. But this person must have no life at all if that is all they can think of to do for the day.God help them.Sorry that happen to you. Teresa
i know it happens to a lot of people who have disabilities or conditions. the "normal people" are not informed on it as much as we are so they make up their own conclusions which i agree is ignorant
gabbyg2000

There are also, "normal neuro's," that are ignorant. I was put in the hospital for my seizures. I have almost died 2 times from my status seizures. One time, I was in the same hospital and the nurse told me that they thought that I was going to have status again.

The last time I was put in the hospital, they had a hospital neuro. She did an EEG done in my room with noisy people in the room. It showed up normal because I did not have a seizure during the 15 minute EEG. She said that I did not have epilepsy, can you believe that? She wanted me to go to her office to take me off all of my meds. After all, according to her, they were pschycological. I fired her.

when I had my second one in school after spring break in 7th grade everyone was talking about me since I had to get driven by ambulance It was the "hottest thing" people would say "hey are you that girl who had that seizure?" I didnt know how to respond They would ask soo many questions mostly the comon ones like Do you know when you have it before it happens? what happens when you have one? do you remember? they just dont know exactly what epilepsy is so they just decide to make jokes about it which is a very wrong thing to do just stand up for yourself and youll be the bigger person in the end :)
gabbyg2000

This is the time I take my profession to its max. (I'm a professional bad comic...if you ever heard my jokes you'd know what I mean!) If someone's giving me a hard time about my seizures, I'll say something like "Want a milkshake? Gimme' a glass next time I have a seizure!". ....I've gots tons of comebacks like that. Basically it boils down to instead of getting hurt or offended, learn how to "use the material" as we call it in our work, and twist it around.

Back
Top Bottom