I'm Depressed.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my doctor, and he told me that he thinks I have depression. He said it may be from some of the medicine I have been on.. but he is not sure. He also said it's perfectly normal for someone in my situation to be depressed.

He's going to put me on an anti-depressant when I get back from the IU Med Center. He didn't want to start me on any new medicines right before I go up there. I go there in six days.

I have always been an extremely happy person.. I've always been able to find the positive side in everything. I've had random injuries because I was always so active, and I was always SO positive. Even after my car accident, and with my broken ankle, everyone always told me they just couldn't believe how happy and positive I seemed.

But ever since I've had epilepsy.. I just haven't been the same. It's not the seizures really.. it's more of being so locked up in this house. I literally feel like an animal trapped in a cage. I have said before, I live in a VERY small town with no public transportation. My parents are very busy people.. All my friends are hours away going to school, and here I am.

I try to stay busy, and take up activities. I try to connect to friends on the phone, the internet, etc. But I still just feel so extremely lonely..

I start classes in a few days, but of course they have to be online, because I can't drive to the college. I miss my sorority sisters, and the social interaction you get at school.

Sorry this seems like one big whine. I know it could be worse. I just seem at my wits end. I try to put on a smile, and pretend like everything is fine and dandy, but really it's not. I even have some things coming up (like a concert I have AMAZING tickets for) that I should be looking forward to, but I'm just emotionless about it. I don't know if it's the meds causing this or what, but either way.. I am not myself.

I want the old Kate back.

Has anyone else gone through this? Am I a total freak?

You're not alone on this one Kate, and far from being a freak.

I've also been told by my Doc in the past, when I've visited him about depression, that if you flick through my life-story book it's no wonder I'm so damn depressed !...He said He'd be depressed too (haha).

You have every right and reason to feel depressed right now, what with all the 'isolation' feelings you must be experiencing.......BUT.....you knew there was gonna be a but right ?....reading your comments, it can be either one of two things :

1. You feel depressed because of how your life has changed at the moment - if this is the case, you need to assess your life, and see how many positive things you can bring out of it, how many negative things you can bring out of it, and stick 'em on a set of scales. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how Positive things should be right now.

2. You feel depressed because this is how you're reacting to the medication - speak to your Doc about this one first....he may be able to prescribe some other AED, or an anti-depressant for a bried period to get you over what you're feeling right now.

I have been sooo depressed in the past when there is absolutely no reason why. A simple change in my diet, or a visit to the gym, or a home workout can work it's magic.

I know how you feel because I am depressed too, I hate having epilepsy so freaking much and being alone all the time. I, however live in a city with public transportation and I live in the same building as my best friends so I dont have it as bad as you. Maybe you should try taking up some hobbies. I recently got into model rockets. Plus I play video games and watch tv. I also recently signed up for netflix so I could watch tv and movies online. Does the college your friends attend have dorms? If so maybe you could go live there or something. Perhaps, you could also make arrangements with your friends to come over once or twice a week and hang out with you, have a girls night or something. Hang in there.

Kate, you are not a freak. :) I think all of us go through this when we find out about the epilepsy. My suggestion, if your seizures are fairly under control and the college your attending online has dorms, move into the dorms next term. I was a health aide for a dorm, I dealt with all the medical issues for my floor. See if the dorm has a health aide. Also, some colleges have special dorms for disabled students. Check and see. If your parents aren't comfortable with that, and they might not be because of fears for you, ask them to help you get an apartment in town. The thing is, your at the age when EVERYONE wants to be pulling away from their parents, leaving the nest, and becoming their own person. That is perfectly normal. Hang tough Kate. :)

Just be careful about taking even another drug.
My oldest son who has High Functioning Aspergers was given a med that was to help with his focus and was to balance his moods too. After a while I was on suicide watch with him. He eventually took himself off of the meds the hard way. Looked like he went through withdrawals like a drug addict. Then it hit the papers that this drug was causeing suicidal thoughts in many that were taking the drug, and a huge warning was issued.

Be careful that what you are taking isn't bringing you down.
I certainly would be depressed if my life had taken the turn yours did. However, looking from the outside in... and I know that is a lot easier said than done... try to find one or two things each day to be grateful for. Could you pay the gas for a friend to come pick you up? Could you plan a get together sometime at your house?.. have a few friends come by for pizza and a movie. I am sure your parents are busy, but occasionally why not ask for a favor... and you do one for them. Life is rough at times... smile it does help.

Kate, I can't remember your seizure history, but if you are reasonable well controlled (or at least aware of when you are likely to have a seizure), you might consider a Segway Transporter. There is no driver's license requirement for them. It might offer you a bit more independence if you can use one safely.

Heck No! If you are a freak, you are in good company with the rest of the world. I take antidepressants and I don't have epilepsy (though my son does have a seizure disorder)............you have a good reason. Have you tried taking vitamin B6? It helps my son with the depression that I think comes with the anti-convulsants.

Well, if you consider yourself a "Freak", then it
would mean - we are all here - "FREAKS!"

Then this site would have to be renamed CWF,
Coping-With-Freaks ...

:pop:

Thought I'd make you *laugh* or at least put a
smile on your face! (Bernard ... NOT A SINGLE
POST FROM YOU ... although I do miss my 'title'
of Malfunction Junction ... *laughing*)

In addition as Robin has put some emphasis which
"can" be true, medications can impart depression,
so can seizures, so can just being lonely and cooped
up with "no where to go or do" - and adding it all
up can surmount with a little bit of this and that and
that, it can all add up ~ possibility altogether or in
part. But I am not a Medical Doctor, but it is some-
thing for you to sit down personally and evaluate
yourself as to what is triggering it, and here's some
head starters to look into as I've provided a partial
list to help evaluate your own being:

• Is your mind going idle? An idle mind can be a dangerous thing and lead to depression.
  • Dreaming or thoughts of "What if's" that drifts on in your mind-set can also be a dangerous thing, and lead one into depression.
  • The old adage of "Too many cooks spoils the broth" holds true, are you trying to do so much at one sitting and not finishing your tasks, for that itself can lead one into depression.
  • Stretching oneself thin, can lead one into depression.
  • Negativism just in a little form that seeps into one's mind - whether from hearing to reading it, can enlarge itself if one continues to ponder about it; will lead one into depression.
  • Weather / Atmospheric conditions can have an impact on an individual that can lead one into depression.
  • Feelings of being overwhelmed can lead one into depression.
  • Looking back into the past and not into the future can lead one into depression. (Note: The past is in the past, it is a done deal. There is nothing you can do about the past, the only thing you can do about is what is going on right now at the present state and the future.)
  • Fear / being afraid can / or will lead one into depression.
  • Being excessively tired, sleeping too much, mood swings, periods of hyperactivity and non-hyper phases, etc - will often lead one into bouts of depression
  • Excessive medications may or may not be the cause of depression.

This list is not an exhaustive list but a starter as you
can see, it is a vast perspective of everything to varying
degrees from all different angles. Insomuch, you would
have to really sit down and write it all down, like a dairy,
as if you are being your own Psychiatrist / Psychologist.
Once you've gathered it all together, you can then be
able to sum it all up - and by doing so, it will be so much
easier to present it to the Doctor so that when it is all
reviewed over with; and it would be really appreciated!

Keep in mind not all things applies in that list, but it's
merely to give you a generalization / ideas to give you
a head-start to get you rolling and getting to the bottom
line of everything and stopping depression and getting
it dealt with before it possibility gets worse or worsen
over the period of time. Many people (even normal people)
fail to see this and gradually worsen over the years; and
it's true - depression will "grow" on you if you allow it to,
that is, if it is not a medical problem that is triggering it.

Hope this helps!

I have been battling depression for 6 years...I have tried different drugs and never have gotten any satisfaction from them. But I know I lot of people that have gotten good results.

Back
Top Bottom