I'm getting nervous about trying a generic seizure medication!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I went through all my Keppra XR I have on hand tonight. I have 6 weeks left of the name brand medication. But since Ive never taken a generic before, I want to keep at least 2 weeks on hand if for any reason, the generic doesnt work, I have some on hand to get by with while I reorder more brand name. But, I so badly want the generic to work! I'm just nervous that a seizure could come about when Im trying the generic stuff out. Ive been doing great so far... its just as I was finally counting out how many pills I have on hand, it made me have a huge reality check! 1 month left on the name brand!

Praying the generic keppra xr works for me!

I understand you being nervous, especially when a med has worked so well. I changed from Lamictal XR to generic with few problems. Try not to stress and give the generic a fair chance. I hope it works out for you and if it doesn't that you're able to get back on the name brand without any problems. Good luck kristin. :)

Praying the generic keppra xr works for me! .
Ive been on the generic Keppra since i switched from Dilantin.
its never any fun always wondering....
Good Luck.:rose:

Good luck, I'm sure it'll all be fine :)

I think they are basically made with the same major ingrediants, it's only the brand that's different. But I only know that for sure with Lamictal, Keppra might be different. I hope it works fine for you.

Hi Kristin,
I think I missed something here but are you trying the generic brand because of your insurance or the generic is cheaper then the brand name?
I hope the generic brand works well for you.

I have always only used the name brand epilepsy meds so I'm not sure if there is much difference between generic & name brand. When my neuro here used to give me a new script he used to tick the no generic brand box.

Last edited:
I am on generic Keppra XR and have had no issues with it (minus the usual Keppra issues). Hopefully it works as well for you :)

I didn't have problems with generic for many years when I was younger. Now I have to have brand name.

Hope all goes well for you with the generic.

Hope the switch goes well. I had no problem doing the comparable thing with Lamictal.

I wish the best of luck for you. It is always a bit nerve wracking when you have to switch anything with these meds.

Back
Top Bottom