I'm Losing What Little I've Got Left

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
and that is memory. Last night a friend of mine called asking me if I remembered how to use her scanner. I asked her if she was talking about the one that is like mine and she responded with, "No, it's the new one". I asked her, "You have a new one" and she came back with, "Yes, you went with me just last month and then you installed it for me". I could not remember that at all. I thought she had me mixed up with someone else. But, the more we talked; some of it started coming back to me. This was a little bit before 9:00 and I had gone to bed to watch TV so I could "thaw out" as I told her because you can't watch TV in my living room without a vent behind you blowing out cold air this time of the year and it was blowing frequently. When she called, I was sleepy but I didn't think I was that sleepy. She has called asking for help many times before and this has never happened until last night. I am remembering better this morning but it has bothered me since then. I'm not a "spring chicken" but it makes me wonder is it age related or seizure related and it is scary. Has this happened to you?

Last edited:
It could be both, but it sounds maybe more seizure-related to me.

It reminds me of one time that I had a big seizure. Afterwards I couldn't find my laptop computer. I thought it might have been stolen, even though there was no break-in at my apartment. Eventually a friend reminded me that two days before the seizure I had taken my laptop away to get fixed.

Since I made this post, I also learned that depression can cause short term memory loss but not long term. I have not been having any problems with my long term memory. I have been depressed lately and the symptoms it listed, I could relate to most of them. So, hopefully, it is temporary if I come out of this depression.

I, too, have found that some seizure medications affect my memory. If I had more than a couple of nocturnal seizures my memory the next day can be poor, so this will compound the medication effect. Then of course there are the usual things that can affect anyone's memory: fatigue, stress, age factors, preoccupation with other issues, etc.

If you are particularly concerned there are tests your doctor can arrange for you to undergo to learn more, as there are strategies for dealing with different types of memory difficulties.

My memory can be really bad after a seizure. When I come out of it there might be something that I did that day or a few days before that I don't remember happened at all. I might start forgetting things that happened days to months ago. Usually after about 6 months what ever it was that happened is gone. There are some things that happened that still stay up there but not much.

Just today I ran into the woman who cut my hair, not my normal hair dresser tough, a few days ago. She knew my name and said hi to me. I had no clue who she was. Even after she told me the name of the salon she works at I still didn't know who she was. When she went into a little more detail about herself then I did remember. I just felt so stupid standing there staring at her as though she was someone I just met.

Not sure if you have much $$ or insurance, but psycho neurological testing would be a good option.

All about memory games, remembering colors/numbers. Very very tough puzzles, etc

I play chess all the time after doing it.

do you take a lot of benzo type meds..?? those are memory killers..

First of all, I apologize for being so late in responding. I didn't get a notification as I normally do. No, I don't take any benzo type medications. It hasn't happened since that day, so I'm thinking now it was probably a seizure but not as advanced as the normal seizures I have. I could be wrong but it won't be the first time if I am.

Mine is going as well: It's scary. I've been talking to my neurologist about it.

A lot of AEDs cause short term memory loss. Topamax/Topiramate is nicknamed "Dopamax". It causes a lot of 'word loss' problems, too--when you know what you want/need to say, but can't. Sometimes, I can actually see what I have to say in my mind, as if it's written on paper. Vimpat also causes memory issues.

KathyJJ- You are not alone. I had a bad seizure last year and have been struggling really bad with my memory. Some days I don't remember what I had for breakfast or very little of what I did yesterday. We made a to do list so that I remember what I need to do for the day. I try to check it off as I go throughout my day. It really broke my heart losing all the memories that I have lost. Happy ones and lots to be thankful for but someone once told me to focus on what you have now. like family, a roof over your head, food, clothing, arms legs, etc. If you focus on the loss you'll miss out on the good and beauty of what's in front of you and so will your loved ones. My doctor said that the seizure is what could've caused the memory damage. I go for a neurosychoanalitical test this month to see how damged my memory is. Never give up. I would like to look for vitamins to help improve memory loss. Best wishes to you.

memory loss gets old
funny-weird-wtf-stock-photos-9-5a391c55d7d59__700.jpg

I never had problems until this last year, first with absence seizures which I'd never had, and they put me on Vimpat which seems to have taken care of that, then my doc decided to wean me off lamotragine (I'm on keppra as well), and by the 4th week when he had me at 150 once a day I had 3 szs and my confusion didn't go away so my husband took me to ER where I stayed the night and got a 20 hr EEG. They had brought me back to 2 150s per day just after the szs and by the time the EEG got going the next day it was starting to kick in and the next day I was fine. The doc says my brainwaves are totally normal except during an event, which was obviously brought on by the change in meds. It's been 3 months, have my followup Tuesday. My husband says I'm fine, no issues, but since I can't remember a lot from that episode I have a nagging fear that something could be happening and I wouldn't know. I feel like I have to be on a leash to be safe, but at the same time shouldn't feel like I need restrictions if I'm truly ok. The normal brainwaves is a new one, never had that since I was diagnosed in 2002. How do you deal with this. I don't want to live in fear, but don't want to find myself doing anything embarrassing with no memory of anything. I'm feeling so dependant on my husband and have never felt like that before.

My simple partials are not a problem for me. I can feel them come on, I'm aware of everything, & they usually last less than 2 minutes. It's the complex partials that are a big pain. I have no aura prior to them, and I've injured (or nearly injured) myself during many.
For example, once I nearly fell onto the commuter train tracks. I have also burned myself severely--2nd & 3rd degree--at least 6 times during CPs. The last time it happened, I asked a friend for the burn cream Rx. When I had gone to the ER the previous time, they thought I was being abused, & kept trying to get me to say I was.

Last week I had A/C problems and forgot that a tech had come out the night before to do a temporary fix before the guy came out the next day to fix it permanently.
I tried to cover myself. Contractors around here seem to be shady and I didn't want him to know how goofed up I was. It was probably a good thing because after they "fixed" it it still didn't work right and I needed to get them out again.
Stress seems to bring it on the most.
I've been needing to kind of "cover" for myself more and more.

I write a lot of post-it notes to myself -- maybe that would help a bit?

I write a lot of post-it notes to myself -- maybe that would help a bit?
I do that too Nak
At work I have a notebook where I write messages and when my boss wants something done i write it in the notebook or in my diary. I also use a notebook app on my phone where I make notes from things I need to do to shopping lists.

My boss is funny he keeps telling me he has a fantastic memory but is always forgetting things lol, usually where he left his phone lol. I'm always being sarcastic and saying i thought he had a good memory and his excuse is that he does but he keeps getting distracted. I laugh and say no his memory isnt that great no one has a fantastic memory, everyone forgets. He said he never forgets, its just that we keep distracting him :roflmao:

I would forget where I put it. I usually put stuff on my kitchen table so I will remember where it is.
I will put an empty can on my table to remind me to take out my recycle bin.

Back
Top Bottom