I'm out of the hospital and I'm a mess!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm HOME! I stayed five days in the hospital. The DR. took me off of my Lamictal and Trileptal, and she added a new medication Topamax and increased my Klonipin and didn't change my Keppra.

I feel like crap. I had physical therapy in the hospital to help me walk because of the drastic med. change, my appetite is lost, my limbs and face tingle like pins and needles (neuropathy or something like that), my eye is drooping, my balance is off, my head hurts, I am weak, and have falllen several times, BUT I have not had a seizure today! :)

My doctor said I should only be like this for about a month. She said we made six months worth of medication changes in two days. That is why I could not sit up and even now have trouble walking, but it should be gone within the month.

Well, thank you for everyone who kept me in your thoughts and prayers. I need to go. Hugs to all. -Julie :)

Hi Julie,
Hoping you feel better real soon. I know it stinks to feel so crappy!!! Rest up and take care of yourself. I'll be thinking of you.

Michelle (Georgia : ) )

Wow.....

That really DOES suck when that happens. I am soooooo very sorry that you had to go through that.

That's some doozy of a med change........WOW. My eyes are rolling and my head is spinning just thinking about it. The Topamax DOES make you feel dopey......some people call it DOPAMAX.

Are you going to have to continue with the physical therapy, or not? Or was that just in the hospital, or what? The balance issue is a problem I understand too. Was that brought on by the meds, or is that something that's been going on for a while now?

I do understand the neuropathy though. I have that every day of my life. It sucks beans.

Good luck. Holler if ya need anything. If ya want to PM me, feel free.

Meetz

(((Julie))) Oh my goodness!! It sounds like you've been through a wringer.
I hope and pray that things get easier for you very, very quickly. I'll be holding you in my heart and prayers.

I hope you feel better. Having just gone through a new med, and a big jump in my keppra i understand your pain!! I hope you feel better soon.

Hello Julie!

Thats a huge change. I really hope you feel better. Goodluck on your outcome. I hope you feel better. I will be praying.

Hi everyone,

I'm only online for a second b/c I just took my pills, but I wanted to thank those of you who replied. It is nice to feel the support from people who take these darn meds. and can in many ways relate.

A brief update:
I'm walking better this morning and haven't fallen yet, just tilted over and caught myself...the trick is to turn VERY slowly. No more physical therapy, that was just in the hospital. Stilll incredibly weak and my brain feels like confused mush, but my headache is MUCH better. So, all and all, I would say yesterday morning I felt like a "2" on the crap scale (with "one" being absolute doo-doo). :poop: And today I'm starting at maybe a...3.5?
I'll gladly take any step toward healthy I can get!
Lots of love to all of you who have extended your friendship to others in difficult times! :cheers:
-Julie :)

Awwwwww

I'm sorry. But your post for this morning DID make me laugh.

I AM glad you're starting to feel better though, and starting to climb up that feeling better scale. 3.5 is definitely better than a 2!

Glad you're not feeling like true :poop: today! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Take care,

Meetz:bigsmile:

It's good to see you're out of the hospital. Welcome back to CWE. I hope you recover quickly. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hi Julie

Forgive me, I don't think we've spoken before, I was just reading your latest news, and thought 'd write and support you.
I'm 4 weeks away from having had my right Hippocampus removed, and I can so relate to your drooping eye bless you! I feel like my right eye is hanging down over my cheekbone, of course it doesn't look that bad, but God, it doesn't matter what anyone says, you just feel a mess don't you? I know I do, the right side of my face is still very sore, and quite swollen, and of course I have the obligatory huge question mark shaped groove cut into the side of my head above my right ear, but you know what...?! I don't really care, because I have been seizure free for nearly a month, I had two little "wobblers" the week after surgery, and lots of auras, but that's it, I am so trying to be positive, this is hopefully the start of a new me. Did you have surgery? I'd love to hear back from you, this website has been a tremendous boost to me, and I have been talking to some pretty amazing people, and of course, we all share that special bond!

Well, here in the UK, we are having a heatwave, so I'm off out into the garden to finish my coursework, I've been studying for a university certificate for the care and management of epilepsy for the past four years, and I have to go through it now and Harvard reference it all, still, I get to sit in the garden all day and top the tan up. Please try and be positive and keep smiling, I would love to hear from you and tell me all about what you had done, I'm writing a book about my epilepsy so it's always great to hear from other people around the world and their experiences of this annoying conditiong.

Take care, as we say in the UK "Keep yer pecker up!" and write soon.

Best Wishes!

Love

Elaine x

Hi Julie!!

Hope today is a better day for you! Your humor alone will help! You are very funny! Feel better soon!

Michelle : )

Hi Julie,
Wow, that's a BIG med change up. Hope you're feeling better soon! Have you had any more seizures? or are you doing better in that department despite feeling bad? I'll keep ya in my thoughts and prayers.

Julie:

We all know what these meds can do to you. With you have so many changes in such a short time, it's got to be horrible. Wishing you well!

Sincerely,
Josie

Wow! That's some med change! I hope you feel better soon. :) I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hey everybody,

I'm still hanging in there at around a 3.75 on the Poop-o-meter scale. :poop:

My head still feels a bit off-center and a little dizzy with a slight headache. And my eyes feel weird. :eek: My language/grammar skills are doing better though.

I'm still having a pretty tough time with coordination and balance. I've noticed my head has a slight bob to it (like the radio's on or something) :rolleyes: and all of my extremities (including my face and lips) have the "pins and needles" thingy. But as with most drugs, the all-encompassing fatigue is the clincher.

Well, I'm off now folks! I go to see my neuro. tomorrow. I really am hoping she'll let me borrow a walker for the next month until I see her again because she told me in the hospital that I will be unsteady on my feet for at least the first month out. It can't hurt to ask right??? :ponder:

Lotsolove. -Julie :)

Back
Top Bottom