Incredible Urge to Stretch Entire Body. Anyone else?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
Lately, I've been leary of stretching. My whole entire body stretches. Literally, I extend arms and legs for a stretch. It feels like every muscle is stretching. From the tip of my nose to the tip of my toes. Occassionaly, it feels like my muscles will lock up if I don't stop, the problem is, once I start its hard to stop. After less than a minute, Im exhausted and muscles feel stiff and tense for a minute or two, then I feel like a limp noodle. Also, sometimes, I stretch 4 or 5 times (entire body) in a row or minutes apart?

Does anyone else experience this? Is this seizure like activity?

Do you feel like you can control it? If so, then it's less likely to be neurological in origin. If it falls in a "grey area" (i.e., you can sort've stop it but not really), then it could be seizure-related.

Involuntary tensing is similar to myoclonic jerking or cramping -- maybe that's what's going on? Does it happen all the time, or only at certain times of day?

Do you feel like you can control it? If so, then it's less likely to be neurological in origin. If it falls in a "grey area" (i.e., you can sort've stop it but not really), then it could be seizure-related.

Involuntary tensing is similar to myoclonic jerking or cramping -- maybe that's what's going on? Does it happen all the time, or only at certain times of day?

I think I can control it. But the urge is so great that I have to do it. I can be walking and out of the blue I stop to stretch. I havent paid attention to the time of the day, I know that it has happened both day and evening and its not everyday, but atleast once or twice a week. I think more during the mid afternoon say 2pm? It takes every ounce of energy I have to stretch, and I get really really exhausted minutes to an half hour after. I cant just stretch my legs or my arms, my whole body wants to stretch and face feels like gravity is pulling it down (only from the bridge of my nose to my chin---and it's doing it as i type). Im going to have to remember to write new stuff down inspite of waht dr says. I also noticed that if I flex my hand or foot, the muscles tend to cramp up (really bad) and this is not related to the stretching at all. I have increased my potassium and I drink more water.

I do this all the time! lately it just feels exactly how you described. Like Im suddenly aware of this huge urge to stretch and I stop what I am doing to totally stretch it out. Arms legs, fingers, face etc all feels like I stretch it. If I am lying in bed when it happens, I end up rolling onto my side, similar to the tonic phase of my TCs. But afterwards I can feel my heart pound like I stretched that too. and then I need to lye there for a bit to feel normal again. I get the feeling too where sometimes I feel like I just need to stretch a little more, but scared that if I do I will dislocate, pull or lock something. It feels so good to release it, and then I feel all rubbery and sleepy and fuzzy inside. it might be seizure related becaue mine too, happens once or twice a week and when Im done stretching I really want to close my eyes and sleep. even for just 15 minutes

I do this all the time! lately it just feels exactly how you described. Like Im suddenly aware of this huge urge to stretch and I stop what I am doing to totally stretch it out. Arms legs, fingers, face etc all feels like I stretch it. If I am lying in bed when it happens, I end up rolling onto my side, similar to the tonic phase of my TCs. But afterwards I can feel my heart pound like I stretched that too. and then I need to lye there for a bit to feel normal again. I get the feeling too where sometimes I feel like I just need to stretch a little more, but scared that if I do I will dislocate, pull or lock something. It feels so good to release it, and then I feel all rubbery and sleepy and fuzzy inside. it might be seizure related becaue mine too, happens once or twice a week and when Im done stretching I really want to close my eyes and sleep. even for just 15 minutes

Thank you for sharing that. You said it just the way it happens. It was like you were there. WOW!
I would'nt want anyone to ever experience the things that I have been for the last year. Not even my worse enemy. But at the same time, I need to know I am not crazy. I haven't had a T/C yet, and I may never have one. But thank you "God" for not letting me be alone!!!

I hope you have a wonderful aura/seizure free day!...weekend!...
week!....month!....year!.... life!

thank you again : )

You might want to increase magnesium as well as the potassium, since magnesium plays a big role in managing and releasing tension in the muscular system.

Back
Top Bottom