Info on a strip/dissolvant that helps reduce duration of seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I read a while back that they have this medication in the form of a strip or a disolve type medication (I can't remember which it was) that you can take when you feel an aura and it can stop or at least shorten the duration of a seizure if you take it in time.

I get auras before my seizures typically, I get an aura anywhere from 2-10 minutes before hand. Now I don't live alone but I am practically alone most days for most of the day. My husband works 4 days a week from about 9-7 and I'm home with my 5 year old daughter. I've been teaching her about seizures and if they don't stop to dial 911 but she keeps getting the numbers mixed up and will be in school starting next year so I will really be alone most of the time when that happens.

I am considering bringing this up with my neuro next week and seeing if I could get a small script for whatever these things are, I don't take medication so I would only take it if I felt a big seizure coming on but I think it would also give me peace of mind knowing I had something that could help get me out of the seizure if I had one. One seizure I had while I was alone with just my daughter lasted at least 30 minutes likely longer. I started cooking spaghetti o's and turned the stove on. I sat down in front of the TV and the next thing I know (I'd gotten an aura but didn't know that's what it was at this point, didn't know I was having seizures regularly) my dog is barking far off in the background. The smoke detectors were all going off, the house was full of smoke and the spaghetti o's were a black hard rock on the bottom of the pan. This is the kind of thing that worries me. It lasted longer than 2-5 minutes which is my typical duration. And I've also had a time where I just kept having them. Id come out of the seizure and go right back in 10-30 seconds later and it lasted for hours.

So does anyone know about these "preventative" medications, the ones you take when you feel one coming on? I want to sound somewhat educated on it and be educated and know what I'm taking about and what I'm taking before I ask the neurologist. Any help would be great, please and thank you :)

hi girlwithadog,
sorry to hear your spaghetti o's story, that would be very scary. and yes now that you know they are a warning seizure, as quick as you can when they hit turn any fire hazards off or any running water. two things of most concern. as well if you're IN water like shower or tub, get out asap, even if you only have enough time to get out and lay on the floor.
what you're referring to is a tiny tiny little pill called ativan. it has a different name in the UK (not sure where you live) but is the same thing. when you feel a seizure coming on you put it under your tongue. it dissolves in seconds and goes straight to your bloodstream, so much faster than swallowing. ask your doc about them to have them on hand (i keep them in my purse b/c no matter where i am my purse is with me- house, car, public).

sorry to hear your spaghetti o's story, that would be very scary. and yes now that you know they are a warning seizure, as quick as you can when they hit turn any fire hazards off or any running water. two things of most concern. as well if you're IN water like shower or tub, get out asap, even if you only have enough time to get out and lay on the floor.
:agree:
I had my first TC seizure on my way out of the shower, therefore I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns from hot water. I hit the hot water handle when I fell during the seizure. I had not started taking any AED's yet because the stupid dr. hadn't diagnosed me correctly at the time. Fortunately at the time, it was Easter morning, so I was at my parent's home that morning.

what you're referring to is a tiny tiny little pill called ativan. i when you feel a seizure coming on you put it under your tongue. it dissolves in seconds and goes straight to your bloodstream, so much faster than swallowing. ask your doc about them to have them on hand (i keep them in my purse b/c no matter where i am my purse is with me- house, car, public).

They usually prescribe this med in addition to other AED's, just in case you have a breakthrough seizure.

I have two now grown kids, and when my daughter was 6 years old and my son was 3 years old, I went into a bad TC. My husband at the time was a pilot, so he was out of town. My daughter did call 911 and the paramedics were there in no time. The neighbors came over and helped out. One took my daughter to school, one kept my son, one rode in the ambulance with me to the hospital.

And several years ago, while I was cooking, I had an aura while at the stove.
I suffered a 2nd degree burn on my hand and had to have another debridement surgery and skin graft on my hand. Seizures can be deadly, so I suggest you get some treatment ASAP!

Back
Top Bottom