Insomnia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jemsister

New
Reaction score
Okay, it's 1:43 am, and I'm headed to bed. The weird part, though, is I still get up at 8 in the AM. So I'm definitely not getting as much sleep as I should. But the problem is, I just don't feel sleepy before then lately. Which is definitely not normal for me. I used to be asleep by 10 pm. So why this sudden change? Could it be med related? Anyone ever gotten insomnia with a med? My newest med, Vimpat, I have been taking for at least a month. Daily, it's a weird combo of tiredness (not enough sleep) and wakefulness.

I'm sleepy now, and going to bed, but why am I wide awake all that time before then, even when I'm not sleeping in (schedule not changed, just getting less sleep). But if I try to go to sleep earlier, I toss and turn. All that to say, I think I'm pushing the seizure threshold envelope, and eventually I'm going to suffer consequences for the inadequate amount of sleep. That's what usually happens with me.

I don't know it could be though when I first got put on tegretol and had my dose dramatically increased all of a sudden I was going too bed at 10, 11 or even 12, for me this is late as usually id be asleep around 7pm-8pm, now its sort of settled down and im asleep by around 9, could just be that you have a lot whirling round in your mind unconsciously try not too think before you sleep :), regards the waking up though our bodys love routine, so will subconsiouly wake up at our normal time, hope you sort it soon :) :)

I had sleeping problems when I first got put on Vimpat. They eventually went away. I was prescribed Ambien while the side effects were in full effect though because I have siezures when I don't get enough sleep. That was almost 2 years ago. I am not sure how long it took to go away, I can't remember exactly. I have recently been put on Lamictal and the sleep problems are back, I am not going to bed until 2am and if I go to bed any earlier I am up around that time and awake for a few hours before I go back to sleep, almost always it is conveniently right before my alarm goes off and I need to get up for work... I am hopeful the sleep problems will fade as the siezures, although small, are acting up again and I don't like taking ambien.

I had sleeping problems with Lamictal, but just for the first couple of months, until my body got used to it.

Keppra totally changed my sleeping patterns. I rarely get to sleep before 1 am, and I get up at normal time. Also, if I sleep more one night I can guarantee I won't sleep at all the next, and I don't seem to be sleeping as deeply (I wake up easily in the night).

Back
Top Bottom