insurance (kinda) question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

arose

New
Reaction score
Ok, so now for a real post, folks. I'm doing some research on epilepsy here on the website (it's amazing how much i've forgotten about the condition.) And i'm glad I found this site because everyone seems so amazing! I was going through things here and I discovered neurofeedback therapy. I could almost cry at the hope that I could control my emotional/learning problems. I don't expect to control my seizures forever, and quite frankly I'm too scared to try going off the meds. Anyway, to my question.

I am going to do some serious look-in-to about the whole neurofeedback thing. I'm just going through my insurance's website and I very much doubt they'll cover the cost, but does anyone know of any kind of programs or studies out there that will help fund something like neurofeedback? I'm not even close to being eligible for disability, but i would definately need financial help. If anyone can point me in some directions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you thank you thank you!

A. Rose

Good Luck on what you're trying to do. I hope you can find what you're looking. Welcome to CWE. Everyone here is cool and friendly. I hope you will enjoy it here. Again Welcome.

Double check with the folks you want to see for Neurofeedback. They will know if you are covered or not. I was able to get mine covered by Medicare in two different states.

A. Rose - my daughter is doing neurofeedback therapy. In fact we have the equipment here at home right now, and did a session today.

We made the decision to do it no matter if insurance covered it or not. When we saw the neurologist we of course discussed what we were trying, and she actually wrote us a prescription for it. She did mention that many epi centers will understand it as EEG Biofeedback. So you might approach it that way.

I also am going to put together a report showing the cost of E doing it the conventional way. ER visits are not cheap, nor are EMT transports to the hospital. AEDs are getting more expensive too. So draw up a chart and show them the savings by doing neurofeedback. We have already saved our insurance company a lot of money with the reduction in seizure activity. I am very impressed with the therapy, and would pay for it even if insurance refuses. Quality of life is what I am after. Quality is 100% improved.

I know the EEG Institute has a page on their site about insurance. I will go search for it.

Questions To Ask Your Insurance Company About Neurofeedback Coverage

Do you cover biofeedback?
If yes, is it under Medical or Psychological Services?

Will you cover biofeedback for (your symptom)?

What rate do you pay? (e.g. 80% of usual and customary vs.80% of billed amount)

If it is covered under Medical Services, do I need a prescription or letter from my MD to say it is medically necessary?
Do I need to send the letter before I see the biofeedback therapist or can it go in with the first bill?

How many sessions of biofeedback will you cover?
Per year?
Before I see the doctor again?

Is there a limit of total amount paid out? (e.g., pay for biofeedback only to $1500 in one year or 6 months)

Do you pay an out-of-network provider?
If so, do I need to see my primary care physician to make a referral to a biofeedback provider?

What is the licensing requirement of the provider?

Would it be helpful to have the biofeedback code?
If so, it is 90901 (biofeedback).

www.EEGInstitute.com
EEG Institute
22020 Clarendon St. Suite 305
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Phone: 818.373.1EEG (1334)
Fax: 818.373.1331

Back
Top Bottom