Intense Auras

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lola Lolushka

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Heya,

Over the last week or so, I've been having auras at least once a day - I've reduced Epilim (due to no tonic clonics for 5 years) from 1000mg per day to 600mg per day, and soon I will take off another 200mg. Maybe I should put a hold on that though. The auras seem to be more intense than when I was having seizures years ago. I've not had a seizure since starting to reduce Epilim, but the intensity of the auras worries me. They have been lasting for about 15 minutes.

I get this WEIRD feeling of displacement, and like I'm not the one in control of my body. Strangely, EVERYTHING looks really, really small, which is disconcerting enough in itself. I always feel so melancholy after it, and would really like to know if anyone else has that, and if there is any way to get out of it when it happens.

To me it sounds like maybe you should go up 200mg to 800mg and see if that helps then lower the dosage slower once your body gets used to that dose.

Personally though, I'd ask my neurologist what to do.

Thanks for the tip - my neuro takes about three months to get into as the state I live in is really small and they are in short supply! I feel confident that I won't have a t/c, it's just such a horrible feeling having auras like that! :( But better to be safe than sorry right!

Transition times on meds -- whether up or down -- can be stressful for the brain as it tries to adjust. If you can wait for a bit, and stay put on the Epilim for a bit, it's possible the auras may cease.

Thanks - I really hope so. Maybe I should ask about increasing the Lamictal i take? It's hard to find information about how much resistance Lamictal has against tonic clonic seizures!

I'm on Lamictal and it controls my tonic-clonics just fine. I'm at 175mg/day, a relatively low dose.

That's comforting to know. So are you seizure free? Do you have twitches or jerks or auras etc?

No twitches jerks or auras. But I've never really had them, except maybe a handful of very minor episodes in the years preceding my first tonic-clonics.

That's good - fingers crossed that I won't have to worry about tonic clonics again - haven't had a seizure in 5 years, but the second last time, I had three major ones in one day, and shattered my cheekbone/eye socket. Not in a hurry to have that again!

Yes my last t-c (about 3.5 years ago) was quite unpleasant -- knocked my head, and tore the labrum in my shoulder while dislocating it. And I think it took me a month to recover mentally.

Anyway, I hope you remain seizure-free and the auras disappear!

Back
Top Bottom