Introducing me, and my long.. story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLynn

New
Reaction score
Hi there friends,
my story begins in 92 after the birth of daughter. It started out with strange sensations, the palms of my hands burning for one, however weird that sounds, the doctors had no clue. It progressed from there into feelings of panic, and or disoriented feelings, and odd reactions to visual stimuli, such as when driving my vision would go weird and I would break out into a cold sweat, etc. Sometime later I began to have what I call "glitches" where it was as if someone turned my switch off for one second, always while standing or walking, I dont fall, but I sort of jump and lose my vision for that half a second, I feel the whole thing. As the years went by these became more frequent, as well as symptoms of complete full blown panic attacks.

I went to see a doctor (turned out to be two med students) who asked me if I was on drugs when I described my symptoms to them. I was so embarrast that I shyed away from Doctors for a while. Then began the occassional times when something I was looking at changed right before the jolt (glitch).
For instance I was standing at my stove, and suddenly it appeared to tilt and raise toward my face, it only lasted a second, followed by the jolt. Often before these "episodes" I would be feeling very anxious for some reason, as I often do, as if something is about to happen, but I dont know what. Well, I continued this way for some time and began to develope agoraphobia.
For an entire year I felt like I was walking in muddy water up to my knee's, and went to see an ENT, who did some crazy fluid test in my ears, and concluded that I was fine. Either the funny feeling in my legs went away, or I got used to it. Anyway, finally in 95 I went to see a psyciatrist who diagnosed me with panic disorder.

I told them most of it, mostly about the feelings of panic that occurred in and outside of the home. But I left out most of the details about visual distortions for fear of being locked up in the "funny farm." They gave me diazepam which immediatly put a stop to all of it, and I was able to function again normally, for a while. I took the same small dose daily for about 13 years. Over the years there were many times that the meds seemed to stop working, and I would experience the same episodes all over again, then they would go away for a time again. I remember days having many "glitches" a day, along with the "panic attacks."

There were times when the glitches were a little stronger and I would let myself to the floor during that second or two that I felt the glitch and couldnt see for that second or two at most, as I felt I would fall if I didnt.
My mother inlaw witnessed one of these around 1999, and I went to the doctor who said it sounded like myoclonic epilepsy, but I didnt follow through with the MRI because I figured it was all just my nerves, and since I'd never fallen to the floor and had what I considered a "real" seizure, that the Doctor had to be wrong. Anyway, to make a long... story shorter, In Jan 07 I had a stronger one that lasted longer. I was laughing at a joke my son told me, turned to look at my computer screen to check email, and suddenly half the screen disappeared and the other half was comming right at my face, my right hand was shaking and threw my glassed off my face and across the room, I lost my vision, and I remember telling my son I couldnt see. I was sure I was having a stroke, and sometimes still believe I did. My son reacted quickly, had me lay on my side on a pillow, opened the window for fresh air, and got me some water, he asked if he should call 911, but my vision was comming back and although I felt weak, I no longer felt in danger. In fact I was so... weak and calm after this that I fell asleep for 45 minutes. So, I told my doc who sent me to a neurologist, had an MRI, and was diagnosed with Mesial Temporal Sclerosis. I refused the stronger medication, and continued on what I had always taken, although now it is given to me by my reg doc, rather than a psyciatrist.

Recently I was in a constant state of panic mode feeling, and having lots of "glitches" and panic attacks, or at least what I think are panic attacks. I cant stand to be in noisy public places, wont drive, and can hardly stand to look around when riding in a car, anything with a lot of activity, visual, and otherwise, does a whammy on me, and I develope all symptoms of full blow panic, and my heart beats so... fast.

I just got a new doctor, I told her everything, and she increased my dose after all these years, and it is helping quite a bit, although I dont like feeling drugged, it is better than being in a constant state of panic and derealization. My biggest problem is, that makes me cry, is that I am guessing I have both seizures and panic attacks, and I really sometimes do not know the difference at all. The neuro and reg doc both say that these frequently co-exist in people with Temporal Lobe epilepsy, but it just doesnt make sense to me, and I suppose what I want most is for it to make sense.
I feel embarrast in public when I have a jolt, feel so unsteady to stand in an open ile, I hate bright lights, and lots of noise. My startle response is throu the roof, and any sudden loud noise can cause me to have a "glitch." I hate all of this, I feel so alone.

I dont wish this on anyone, but I guess I am hoping someone here relates too, as selfish as that may seem. My symptoms ten fold at that "time" of the month, which the doc says is "normal" for women, and I become a recluse, and nobody understands why I wish to just be alone at this time. I am often also so.. dizzy, and I wonder what that is about. I remember I was dizzy a lot before ever taking meds, so who knows what that is about. I fell hard on my head in winter of 89 and was knocked out, and the doc says the scarring could have happened from that, or from untreated seizures, but we will never really know. Sorry for the long... story, I just really need to talk to others who might know what I am talking about, what I go throu, what I battle with, mostly the confusion over what is what, and how the heck am I supposed to know?

Recently my husband was laid off, and we dont have insurance for the first time in years, so I cant afford the follow up mri that I was supposed to have had by now. I am taking the extra meds, but I'm scared about the addiction to them. I have to keep telling myself it is needed, that I am not a "druggy."
Since I am so.. against drugs!! Oh.. there is much more to this, and the strange episodes and emotions I have out of no where that do not make sense, it is frustrating when I know that I am a intelligent, stable person otherwise, but yet battle these baffling episodes. The neuro says some of what I think are panic attacks are probably simple partials, and maybe some are panic attacks as well. Sheesh... but why would I have more of them out in public than at home if they are seizures? I am always dizzy, dizzy, dizzy, weather at home, or in public, and in fact it is one key reason I hate going out much. Okay, Ive said enough, lol. I really needed to share, and I appreciate your being here, and your personal experiences and relations are appreciated, as well as advice.
Thanks so much!!
JLynn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, JLynn. Welcome to CWE. I hope you find the information you need and that you like it here. :)

I was diagnosed with E at age 20...I was 9 months pregnant with my son when I had my first tonic-clonic sz. Looking back, I can remember times when I had simple partials as well as complex partials, but I didn't know what was going on. They were embarrassing to me...expecially the complex partials because I would forget what I was saying in the middle of a sentence.

The way my sizures work now is I have a simple partial (aura), which is usually a panicky feeling and sometimes I "hear" a high pitch noise. Sometimes that's all I have, but usually they progress to complex partials. Sometimes I have only a couple and then it stops. The individual c/p's are just a "brain fart"--I space out for a split second. But, usually they come in clusters, in which each seizure lasts longer than the last and they get closer and closer together. The c/p clusters are the ones that scare me. It's hard to describe...they're a whirlwind of thoughts racing through my mind and before I can concentrate on one, another pops into my head. I can't communicate with any one or even stay on one track long enough to say a prayer...And finally the cluster of complex partials will generalize into a tonic-clonic (grand mal). Then I have the joy of repeating the complex partial/tonic-clonic cycle again and again if I don't go to the ER. (status epilepticus)

I've been really fortunate that I have not had any seizures in almost a year now. I try to view the simple partials as a warning sign. From the time I have the aura I have about 10-20 minutes before I start having complex partials and another 20-40 minutes before I have a tonic-clonic. Recently I was able to stop an impending seizure from progressing beyond the aura. :) Anyway, enough about me.

Sounds to me (in my unprofessional opinion) like you might be having complex partials too--when someone turns your switch off for just a second... The important thing to remember is that you are NOT alone. Welcome to CWE.

Last edited:
yes Morgan, my doctor the neurologist did say that she thought I was having complex partials too. But when I read about them, it confused me further, because I dont lip smack, head turn,or any of those things. I just find myself do the jolt thing, lose vision for that single second, and feel like I took a giant step, although Im not sure what I did, I do feel my body move, but it is a disconnected type feeling, really strange. Often I do find that I did move positions from where I stood, and am a little wobbly afterward, and usually grab onto something or someone with me to sturdy myself. No one says anything to me about it, although Ive gotten a few odd looks from people. My family doesnt say anything, they just let me hold onto them. I wonder if what I feel is stronger than what people see. The doc thinks I have myoclonics, simple partials, and complex partials. I am in denial most of the time, but I doubt the MRI and two neuroligists are wrong, so I am working on figuring this out, and living with it the best I can. What do I do in public? Say "excuse my odd behavior, I just had a seizure," or with the ones where I recall the whole thing, and can usually talk muted, say "sorry, Im having a seizure." I dont want to freak people out, or have anyone make a scene and call 911, since my doc said that unless I have a tonic clonic that I do not need to go for medical help when I have seizures. Ah... this is frustrating. Thanks for sharing your story, and for your input about mine. You are probably right.

The thing about epilepsy is that not everyone experiences seizures the same way. I don't lip smack, drool, head turn, etc when I'm having a complex partial either. They effect everyone differently... For me, a single complex partial is just an interruption in my thought or speech that lasts only a split second, then I can continue right along with the conversation like nothing happened. My husband says my eyes roll up into my head for that split second of time. When they happen in clusters is when I can't communicate, but I'm still very aware of what's going on. It is incredibly frustrating.

Simple partials affect everyone differently too. Some of the ways I've seen/heard them described are: deja vu sensations, feelings of being in an unfamiliar place, metallic taste, strange odor, imagined sounds, visions...

If you haven't already, check out the epilepsy101 thread. I hope you find the answers you need.

WE all have a long and serious side of our lives and there is a reason you are here today. God has a reason for everything and welcome to our family and I am so sorry for what you have been through in your life. But, all of understand enjoy your time here and welcome to our big family!
God Bless
David Hair

Since you mentioned the vision ones, thought I would just say that I have had a few of those over the years too, about 6 maybe, but didnt even know what they were until recently. The last one was last summer while this guy was at my house giving me an estimate on new windows. He was talking and all at once it was like pictures flashing in front of my eyes, like snapshots, and they werent pretty either, a bit embarrassing to admitt what those snapshots were, very weird. Anyway, I asked the guy if he noticed me do anything, and he said no, that I was just quiet listening, he didnt notice.
Those I didnt even tell the doc about, since there have been so few, it is probably insignificant. The only thing I can say is that i really feel for people who have those frequently, but then again they werent as scarey to me as some of the other types I have.

There are many types!

Just remember if you can keep track of all your different types of seizures because that will definitely help your nuerologist find out where your seizures are localizing at and if you can't remember then ask some one to help you! Because have several types over the years since I was 4yrs. old and now I have complex partial seizures and I am 34yrs. old
David Hair

Last edited:
Hi JLynn!

And Welcome to CWE!!! You've found a wonderful place to be. Mr B (Bernard) has made us an AWESOME home here. Feel free to poke around in every part of the house.......:bigsmile:

First, I have to say that I would like to string those 2 medical students up by their toenails! I do understand WHY they would, but I'm sure that they could have handled it better than they did. GRRRR. People like that drive me NUTS.

Next, you talk about being "dizzy" around your time of the month. You could actually be going through a form of CATAMENIAL EPILEPSY, which is epilepsy that is tied to the menstrual cycle. Talk to your neuro about it. Sometimes adjusting your female hormones can help with that a little bit, too. Check out the link...hopefully it will help...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/catamenial+epilepsy.html

Please remember that the descriptions that you see of seizures are general, and that they WILL vary person by person.

And as David suggested, DO keep a journal. Keep track of EVERYTHING in it.
Meds...when you take them, how much. Food, what did you eat? When? How much? Don't forget to list sleep....how much, etc. Computer, video games & TV time. WHY all these things? Wellllll, they can hep find triggers to your seizures......

Take care,

Meetz

Thank you for the welcome, and information. You are all very helpful, and I am glad I found this site. I do think I need my hormones checked as well, as yes my symptoms are by far worse up to a week before and for several days into my cycle.
After writing my scattered story here today, I became more curious about the mention of types of seizures, as my doc had also said she thought I was having complex as well. So I asked two of my children what they actually witness when I have my "glitches" and have to steady myself afterward.
Well to my complete surprise they mentioned things that I had no idea that I did. I explained to them what I thought occurred and they both said that
I often brind my arms up to about waist level, sometimes sort of clench my fists and put my head down and look dazed for a few seconds. They both thought that I was completely aware of doing this, so they never mentioned it! Wow, what an eye opener to just ask about it and to find out that I am not fully aware of every second as I thought that I was.
Anyway, thanks again for all the info and sharing here, its good to know Im not alone in this.
Jlynn

Back
Top Bottom