Jacinta's story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jazz'smum

New
Reaction score
Jacinta's story
I was early stages of pregnancy and had a fall, I was vomiting for 24 hrs after the fall and then taken to hospital.
A blood test revealed a multiple pregnancy and an ultrasound confirmed that there were twins but only one had a heartbeat.
I remained sick and was in and out of hospital up until 20 weeks gestation.
I was put on vitamins and fliuds intraveinously and given all sorts of anti nausea medications , maxolan through the drip , and stemetil suppositories for home as i could not keep anything down.
I was put on a medication, I cant remember name of at about 17 weeks, it seemed to settle sickness but gave me very restless legs.

I was back in hospital at 36 weeks and put on medication for high blood pressure and at 37 weeks I was induced.
I was given an epidural and fell asleep awoken by the monitor alarm going off as they had lost her heartbeat.
The Dr arrived and she was delivered by suction, she was given oxygen and they said she was okay.
She was quiet blue around the mouth and hands feet and was like this for a week after.

At 4 years old we were at the shops and Jacinta had her first seizure I thought she had heat exhaustion and was going to faint. I rushed her in to Doctors and he told me straight out it was petit mal, childhood epilepsy.
An EEG confirmed epilepsy.

I cant help wonder if any of these things would have been the cause of Jacinta's epilepsy.

Is there any way Doctors would know what has caused my daughters epilepsy?

When Jacinta was diagnosed at 4 years I was asked questions about my pregnancy and the birth, any head injuries etc.
The Dr said nothing was significant enough.
I suppose there is no real way of knowing? I only want to know as a way of maybe finding a cure.

Thanks
Cheryl.

I don't think there is any real way of knowing for sure. There are numerous possibilities and perhaps it's a combination of them. I think it's more constructive to focus on what can be done now to mitigate/correct/improve the situation.

:agree: I've had seizures all my life & had no clue what caused them until I was 39 years old. It still made no difference how it was treated by the doctors and as much as it was nice to know the cause it really didn't change my situation.

Thanks Bernard and Epirleric

I agree that it wont change things but think it would be good if Jacinta could find out the cause, as she has asked why ..not often and not in a poor me way..she is just inquisitive.

Epileric thats amazing finding out after 39 years.

I was hoping to find out, cant say exactly why, think it is just my nature to want to have answers than deal with things and move on.

Not long until she sees her nuerologist now, she has her appointment on the 11th of August, it has been a long wait!

Thanks
Cheryl

I have to say I agree

with Bernard. I wish I were in Eric's shoes and had finally found the cause for mine. I have asked my mother.....according to her, all was perfect before they started happening, and my delivery was perfect.

Focusing on dealing with the E is the best thing now. Just accepting it for the pain in the arse that it is.....well, it's best, I think. I do understand, wholeheartedly, where your daughter's coming from though, having been in her shoes before.

Meetz

Hi Meetz

All I can do is be honest with Jacinta about the pregnancy delivery etc and her guess will be as good as mine!

I just hope she is successful and as positive as all you are here if it is to stay with her for life.

Yes i also agree with what Bernard has said.

with Bernard. I wish I were in Eric's shoes and had finally found the cause for mine.

Maybe I should clarify a bit. When I was 39 we discovered a lesion on the hypothalamus of the brain. We really don't know what caused it or why it's there but even learning about the lesion didn't make a difference in how I or the medical professionals treated my condition so I'm really not curious about it.

Back
Top Bottom