JME/Epilim

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

goldfinch

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy a few years ago, at first I wasn't to keen to be on medication but the myoclonic jerks got quite intense (lots more of, and much stronger) so went on to Lamictal. Lamictal didn't stop the myoclonics, so was put on to Epilim. I had a problem with feeling off balance on Lamictal and thought that would change once I was completely off Lamictal and on Epilim, but the problem hasn't gone away and if anything it's a bit worse. I can't stand with my feet together without falling and tandem walk is impossible. The myclonics still havent stoped although are fewer. Has anyone else had problems with balance on Epilim?

It's odd that that the first med you were given was Lamictal, since it's known to cause myoclonic jerks.

Epilim does list poor balance as one of it's less common side effects, so it could be responsible for how you're feeling.

My neuro put me onto Lamictal first because of my age (child-bearing, less birth defects associated with) and also because it is better tolerated than other drugs (less side effects supposedly) used to treat JME although yes it is known to increase jerks in some people. To be honest I'd still rather be on Lamictal than Epilim..... there hasn't been an obvious difference in control, and I seem to be putting on a bit of weight. Hopefully if the dose is adjusted it might solve a few problems. I hope bad balance is a side-effect of Epilim because I really don't want any more problems!!

Back
Top Bottom