Job/Career- what do you do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't have any degrees right now, I'm close to an associates in general education if I want that, but that won't really get me anywhere.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sometimes finishing something gives us the motivation to keep moving toward a larger goal. Tying up loose ends and finishing something - even small stuff - always makes me feel better. Even if it is only getting my kitchen sink cleaned and nothing else (teenagers cook and eat but don't clean) ... you gotta start somewhere. :noevil:

Lots of major universities have online programs. They can be expensive ... Univ of North Dakota is reasonable. Their diploma/transcript for a degree online is exactly the same as one obtained on campus. Unless you told someone, they would never know you completed it on the internet.

I looked into medical coding before-isn't that mainly a desk job? Why wasn't that doable? I'm glad you were able to find something to stick with, thanks for the well wishes

You're right, medical coding is a desk job. I never enjoyed it anyway because of the task and environment. It was just something to do after I had neurosurgery because a return to college would have been too much too soon. I only spent a few years and a few jobs with coding because I was unlucky. The University of Utah let a lot of their insurance workers go including me and elsewhere the people I worked for didn't understand if, when and how my seizures affected my work performance. There are better jobs out there, better people to work for and to work with. I figured why should I pay money to renew my CPC credential if I wasn't going to be able to use it? I used to regret giving it up because I worked so hard to get that credential but then I found work with what I studied in college, especially using it with something I share such great interest in.

The first "real" job I ever had was delivering newspapers when I was maybe 14. Then I got a job at a bicycle shop at 15 (which I loved), worked at a lot of temp jobs while in my first few years of college, worked as a nurses aid after I got married (and was still in college) then worked at several bicycle shops while I was getting my Master's degree (in social work) then worked as a counselor and medical social worker for a couple years, then at Child Protective Services for a couple, then as a social worker at a hospital kidney dialysis center for about 15 years, and since 2002 I have worked full time at the small bicycle shop that I own and operate single-handedly. (Kind of a full circle. Bicycle shop to bicycle shop.) My wife is a full-time teacher and, for the last year, has been a part-time real estate agent. I am her assistant in that, too. I like the bike shop and the part-time realty, and I plan to keep on doing those until I can't or don't want to work any more, which will hopefully be at least another 20 or 25 years. And there you have my job history in a nutshell. Everything for the past 32 years has been done while on seizure meds and having hundreds of my wonderful partial seizures every year, so I guess E hasn't slowed me down too much. Do you ever wonder how our lives would be different if we didn't have epilepsy? I guess, especially for those of us that have had it for so much of our lives, we will never know. Oh well! :)

Onward and upward!

Arnie it's good to hear you were still able to do all that with E, hopefully I'll end up able to have a lot less tonic clonics so I won't have to worry about those effecting my future

I am a writer, but in a strange way--I manage communications for exec leaders of a large company. So I write their speeches, presentations, articles, large distribution emails, org announcements, pretty much anything that falls into the communications bucket (lots of PowerPoint too). I was controlled until about a year ago when my head ping ponged around in my car, so it's a new world writing on three meds :) It's interesting writing when I can't think of words--I'm finding new ways to think of OTHER words that I'm not blanking out at the moment!!

Seems like a lot of us make a career out of writing, wish that was something I was talented at :/

My epilepsy didn't arrive until I was in my thirties, and I was lucky to be able to keep the same job (graphic designer) before and after. I was already self-employed. The main accommodation I made was to move my office into my home.

You might be interested in these threads from the CWE archives:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-work-2055/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/good-jobs-people-epilepsy-490/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/jobs-epilepsy-18421/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...ment-someone-atypical-absence-seizures-14781/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/jobs-19001/

Back
Top Bottom