Is it just me, or am I unable to learn anymore??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This is my first semester back in college since I was diagnosed and put on my cocktail of medications since June. I was a pretty good student, usually hovering at about a 3.0. This semester I seem unable to remember anything, I am having a hard time with ALL of my classes and I don't understand. I tried to google this, but I got a lot of crazy stuff.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

BTW, I am on 3000/day Keppra, 100/day Lamictal, and 300/day Seroquel.

Thanks

:( It's not just you
I'm now taking an Introduction To Computers Course for SENIORS .... people who have never touched one of those scary machines before.
My husband insisted I take it because I'm so stupid and ask so many dumb questions and just can't understand his simple answers.

The class is a good one ....... On the phone the kind lady explained that the first thing I will be taught is how to use a funny thing called, don't be alarmed, a MOUSE.

After four weeks of work I will be taught how to get on the INTERNET

I know the feeling!

When I went to college and taking a slew of meds. and dealing with the everyday stigmas of epilepsy is enough to throw anybody into a spiral in college so be patient and remember to take it at a good pace! Because the more stress you have the vulnerable you are at having a seizure!
David

It's definitely not just you. So many of us have gone through and continue to go through the same experiences. It certainly has to do with the medications. You've only been on what you refer to your cocktail of medications for a short time. Hopefully through time, and possibly even with some necessary adjustments in the levels, you will find that things will get better. Not too long ago with my med changes, I experienced a lot of problems with memory and trying to concentrate and do my job. It has greatly improved, but it did take a while. Try to stay positive and I wish you good luck! Sincerely, Josie

I had a very hard time in school. I was almost a straight F student but I knew most the stuff. I just couldn't get it down on paper. Finally just before I left the school my parents convinced them to let me re-do my exams with re-written questions but to answer them into the mic of a tape recorder. I scored about 29% higher.

A big part is finding out what helps you learn best. I used a recording walkman to tape my hardest classes (some teachers don't like that though) so that I could listen to the class later if I had too much trouble concentrating.

Hi Honey

I so know where you are coming from with this!! I am also on Keppra, have you had any depression and suicidal tendancies? I know they are classic side effects of Keppra, I'm on 1,500mg am and 1,500mg pm, they don't work!! None of them have ever worked!!

Regarding our memories, I have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, and the short term memory is dealt with in the right temporal lobe, so you can tell me something one week, and I'll have no memory of it the following week, or month! I know how difficult it is to concentrate, to absorb information, to remember events. It is so very frustrating isn't it? I write everything down, I keep a diary every day of my life, in which I even write what I had for dinner. Our long term memory is dealt with in the Pre Frontal Cortex, but it's that short term implicit memory (i.e how to drive, how to operate a computer, basically recalling how to do things) and explicit memory (remembering events and facts) I bet like me, you have an amazing ability to memorise registration plates on cars, telephone numbers, or any sequence of numbers? You don't say what type of epilepsy you have, or how it started or why, I would genuinely love to know, having recently completed two 4 year university courses in Epilepsy Care & Management, it is a subject that totally fascinates me! The human brain is an incredible bit of kit!

I hope you write back to me soon, and I hope this message finds you well and happy?

All The Best

Elaine x

Last edited:
I do know

the feeling of being unable to learn at times......but it was different meds at different times that caused me the problem that you're now having.

I'm not on Keppra, and have never been. So, I personally don't know how you're feeling in that respect. HOWEVER, there is a student that I deal with on a fairly regular basis when I substitute teach who is on it.....and she has the same problems as you. It IS a challenge. Trying to convince her to keep the faith in herself is hard.....especially as her name IS Faith....

But, write EVERYTHING down. If you can, take a laptop with you to class. Have someone in your class, or close to you constantly quiz you to make sure you're grasping the concept. Talk to the special services people at the university, and your neurologist....see what can be worked out.

Good luck. You're NOT losing your mind. And YES, you ARE STILL able to learn!

Meetz
:rock:

as someone great once said, "The moment you stop learning, you start dying."

as someone great once said, "The moment you stop learning, you start dying."
I understand what you're going through,because of when I was on Dilantin and I went back to school and I flunked outof school.
Once I came off Dilantin after I was out of school my memory improve almost 100%.
SO now I have no problem at learning usually it just takes longer for me.
remember your meds and your seizures can affect the memory process.
Belinda

I have TLE with secondary generalization. My memory issues are quite bad. I have almost no "real" memories older than about 5 years old. After thinking about it in detail, all of the memories I have older than that are simply my remembering a story, or someone else talking about a situation. I can only remember one persons name thah I every went to school with, and one teachers names. It is a horrible feeling to realize you have almost no real memories,

After my last seizure about 3 months ago I have difficulty remembering what I have read and I can't spell.

I have the same two issues. I was always a good speller, and now I find myself messin up words (lol).

wowthisssuxass,
This seems to be a fairly common problem amongst AED users. I find that the problem is not the epilepsy but the meds causing short term memory loss.

In my case, after 28 years of employment with the same employer, they sent me to a "Neuro/Phyc" Doctor and after several hours of testing, it was determined that as a result of the AEDs as well as long term use, I had developed a learning disabiliy and could not learn new tasks.

Randy

I used to have a 125% in algebra before my head injuries/seizures. Now I can't even do basic math. The doctor said something in my brain got rewired when I got TBIs. I do have problems with other things (not related with school subjects) that I used to be able to do and am now not able to do and I feel really dumb for it. I don't think that is the head injuries...

I just came off of a Keppra/Lamictal cocktail. My memory has gotten much better since I came off the Lamictal. (I'm now on Keppra/Trileptal).
Talk to your doctor. I went to college for ten years, so I know what it is like to fight with meds. to prove you're the good student you really are. :e:

Also, check to see if your college has a disability services office. All colleges must provide equal opportunity. There may be accommodations that can help until you get the medication issue worked out. :ponder::twocents:

-Julie :)

Back
Top Bottom