just wondering

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

angel

New
Reaction score
I have another doctors appointment 11/11/08 at a free clinic :woot:wooo hooo a doctor who i saw yesterday referred me there after they put me back on my e meds & meds for my neck... anyways, my Question is has anyone just taken meds around your menstrual cycle as this is the only time i have seizures? I would really like to just take meds two weeks out of the month:ponder:

I think you need to talk to your doctor about this idea Lorrie. Glad to hear that you have an appointment in a month.

ill ask no worries about that :) the tegretol isnt bothering me tho no side effects as of yet... thank god... it actually is making me feel a little wired for some reason...

Lorrie:
My seizures were always associated with my menstrual cycle, but I've always had to take my meds on a daily basis through the entire month. The one thing that did greatly assist in controlling the seizures for many years was the addition of a medication called Diamox, which is actually a diuretic. My neurologist initially had me start taking this med for a two week period associated with my cycle. I've read about others who also take it for Catamenial type seizures. Possibly it's something you can check out online and ask your doctor about. Good Luck with your appointment!
Josie

I have another doctors appointment 11/11/08 at a free clinic :woot:wooo hooo a doctor who i saw yesterday referred me there after they put me back on my e meds & meds for my neck... anyways, my Question is has anyone just taken meds around your menstrual cycle as this is the only time i have seizures? I would really like to just take meds two weeks out of the month:ponder:

I believe I have seen some postings where there are
women who have to have their medications increased
before or during their cycles only.

And I've seen postings where there's women who
takes Diamox during that specific time of the month
only, but at no other time frame.

In fact, I've seen so many various different postings,
however, they were ALL still on their AED
or AEDS
. It would be totally up between
you and your Doctor to work that one out.

It's true that some women experience seizures before
or during their menses cycles and/or during their
ovalation cycles - and is the only time they experience
seizures. It's called Catamenial Epilepsy.

Catamenial Epilepsy

thank you for your replies but im not sure if i want to have to take anymore added meds :) I've been tracking my seizures and they start right before my ms like three to for days sometimes during its like a two week a month thing.. I dont have seizures anyother time" they put me back on tegretol but i had to get epitol 200mg tab teva
right now Im on 300mg twice a day & they put me back on klonopin 1 mg a day for neck spasms and anxiety.... I guess ill just take it everyday. my seizures changed on the atkins diet too (wasnt taking meds though) .... i felt like i was floating out of my body, my mother told me yesterday the seizures i had were like the seizures i had when i was little (petit mal) I think they are the same as simple partual seizures? Im going to be talking to the doctor at the clinic about all of this i was just curious if anyone was able to only take meds during their menstrual cycle:banana: that would be awesome huh?

thank you
Lorrie

Back
Top Bottom